Video card fan noise

jerome

Distinguished
May 17, 2002

Hello

When I first turn on my computer the subject will make a
low pitched noise and then slowly, as it warms up, start
to deminise in intensity. I know it is the subject
because when I open the case and stop the fan with my
finger the noise stops. In fact, I would not have thought
such a small fan could make such a load noise just to
begin with and then drop down to a normal level. Has
anyone else had such an experience? If so please let me
know what you did to correct it or any informtion on the
subject you might have. Thanks.

Mine makes a noise sometimes. I usually open the case and flick the graphics
card (gently!) NOT an approved method I'm sure but it usually works.

Other methods:
If the card is under guarantee contact the manufacturer.
Try replacing the fan (can be tricky)
www.coribright.com

"Jerome" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> When I first turn on my computer the subject will make a
> low pitched noise and then slowly, as it warms up, start
> to deminise in intensity. I know it is the subject
> because when I open the case and stop the fan with my
> finger the noise stops. In fact, I would not have thought
> such a small fan could make such a load noise just to
> begin with and then drop down to a normal level. Has
> anyone else had such an experience? If so please let me
> know what you did to correct it or any informtion on the
> subject you might have. Thanks.

jerome

Distinguished
May 17, 2002

Hi
Can one replace just the fan and if so how does one do
that?

Hardware)
>www.coribright.com
>
>"Jerome" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> Hello
>>
>> When I first turn on my computer the subject will make
>> low pitched noise and then slowly, as it warms up,
start
>> to deminise in intensity. I know it is the subject
>> because when I open the case and stop the fan with my
>> finger the noise stops. In fact, I would not have
thought
>> such a small fan could make such a load noise just to
>> begin with and then drop down to a normal level. Has
>> anyone else had such an experience? If so please let me
>> know what you did to correct it or any informtion on
the
>> subject you might have. Thanks.
>>

>.

WTF does "deminise" mean?

Small fans on graphics card are notoriously noisy. Modern graphics cards
generate a lot of heat, so need alot of cooling. The problem with the
factory fitted fans is that they are naturally quite small (to fit on the
board)... and.. .the problem with small fans is that in order to pump enough
air through the heatsink, they need to spin very fast. A fan of double the
size would need to spin at much less than half the speed to pump through the
same amount of air.

You could make sure that the 4 screws at the corners of the fan are tightly
fixed (not vibrating). Someone else already suggested this, but make sure
the fan is as clean as you can get it. This will not directly reduce noise,
but if it is clean it will cool more effeciently, therefore not need to spin
at high speed as much. You can probably take the fan off for cleaning -
clean in all the parts of the heatsink as well.

Of course, if the air temperature inside the case is high, then no amount of
cooling on the GFX card will help because you are trying to cool it with hot
air. You might consider an exhaust fan on your computer if there is not one.
These are pretty cheap and if you get a slow spinning one, it will reduce
the case temperature and hardly add any noise.

Remember with fans - the bigger they are, the slower they need to spin and
the quieter they operate.

If you are annoyed by the noise, you can get replacement fans that make much
less noise, or even some silent ones. If you go to google and search for
"silent graphics card cooler", you will see there a number of options. You
can replace the fan on the processor, chipset, case, PSU - anything! Have a
look at www.quietpc.co.uk for some more ideas. They are not the cheapest,
but they have some interesting stuff. (Not sure about GFX card, but the have
some case noise reducing stuff).

Wislu Plethora wrote:

> [...]
my guess would be "diminish" but that's just a guess :)

gls858