New System Won't POST

dwwnole75

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'm building a new system and have encountered a problem. The motherboard will not POST or boot. Lights come on, fans spin, but no video output. The system consists of:

- Intel D955XBK motherboard
- Intel P4 640 Prescott 800 3.2 Ghz Socket 775 CPU
- Thermaltake Big Typhoon CPU Fan
- 4 x 512MB Corsair XMS 5400 (approved) DDR2 675Mhz
- WD Raptor 74GB
- eVGA 7800GT 256 MB GDDR3 PCI Express video card
- Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card
- Lite-On DVD Burner
- Antec Sonota II Case w/ 450w ATX12V

I’ve disconnected all other devices and at this point I’m just trying to get the system to POST. I did notice that when I had my DVD burner hooked up the LED on the front never turned off, and it would never let me open the drive. Also now that I think of it can’t recall ever hearing the Raptor spin when I had it hooked up.

My first thought was that the H clip on the Big Typhoon was grounding out the motherboard but I couldn’t tell for sure. I checked for any other interference but didn’t see any. At this point in time I’m just exhausted of messing with it and was hoping someone on here might have some suggestions or ideas on what the problem could be. Any suggestions at this point would be more than helpful. Thanks!

I'd first start by disconnecting or removing all unnescessary devices, (disconnect pwr and IDE/SATA connections, remove sound card) leaving only the cpu, a single mem stick (can try any of the 4 alternating, in search of a POST) in an approved single stick operation slot...

Ensure following connections are present on mb..

- 24 pin ATX connector (although obviously this is connected for you)

- 4 pin 'aux cpu' pwr to correct header on mb (many forget this, and it indeed nescessary for a POST!))

- cpu fan to correct header on mb (some mainboards require it to prevent cpu overheats/burnups) (Might want to check cpu/socket grid array to ensure nothing bent mis-aligned, and ensure cpu locked down in socket... (Do you have a stock heatsink/fan that came with cpu, to eliminate concerns of your aftermarket one possibly shorting the mb?)

Ensure video card is fully seated (with pwr removed from rear of PS!), and that it's supplemental power input is connected ..

Try finding the "clear CMOS" jumper/button, engage for a few seconds, then try again...; some like to remove CMOS battery, and short the cmos jumper for 10-20 minutes, if applicable to your board; mine, an MSI NF4 varant, simply uses a small pushbutton switch..)

Let us know if this helps at all...

Other than that, you might want to try another known good ATX12v power supply, still in the 400-500 watt range...

The first rule of building a new computer when first turning it on only have the video card and keyboard connected then work up from there. if the Light is staying on on the drive you may be connecting your IDE cables wrong. system will not post id IDE cables are connected wrong. Now SATA cables I don't know if it is the same.

dwwnole75

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I've never encountered a problem before building a system and I poorly assumed it would boot right up. The first time I turned it on I only had my cpu, cpu fan, ram, dvd burner, hdd, and video card installed. Afterwards I disconnected my hdd, dvd burner, and removed 2 of the 4 sticks of ram. I did make sure my monitor was plugged into the right connector on the video card because right before I turned it on the first time I noticed I had it in the wrong connector. After the second time I removed my video card and one more stick of ram and was just hoping to hear any beep at all. Still the only thing that happened was the light on the motherboard turned on and the fans started spinning.

I had never thought about the CMOS battery, but I read where intel told someone who was having a similar problem with a 925 or a 945 mobo to take out the battery and then put it back. I'll have to try that and see what happens. I'll also be sure to look at the pins to make sure none of them are bent.

Quick question, but is there a limit on how many times you can clean off a CPU?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

"Also now that I think of it can’t recall ever hearing the Raptor spin when I had it hooked up. "

If the PS seems to be at least partially powering up, (mobo lights, fans, etc), then I'd suspect your PS, if the drives do not seem to spin up, as they run off the PS directly....

Do you have another you can temporarily slave in of sufficient wattage?

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
Also check your bios to make sure you have the boot sequence correct. It may not have your hard drive selected at all.
DVD light could be the wrong jumper on the back is choosen for the type of cable you are using(cable select, Master, Slave). If it is a sata drive it should be in master. All sata are masters.