Sign in with
Your question

SOCKET AM2 MIGHT SUPPORT DDR3

Last response: in CPUs
March 13, 2006 5:33:30 PM

According to the Inq, this is what they say:
http://theinquirer.net/?article=30252

Quote:
THERE is a big possibility that existing socket AM2 CPUs might just be able to support the upcoming DDR3 memory. That is the 2007 marchitecture but we spoke with a few people that believe that DDR 3 specification is so close to DDR 2 that it might just work. It is technically possible, it should be.
March 13, 2006 5:41:30 PM

wouldn't supporting ddr3 vs ddr2 be based on the chipset?
March 13, 2006 5:44:24 PM

Remember that the memory controller on AMD64 systems is on the CPU, and not on the motherboard, so it doesn't depend on the chipset. But mobos DO require the right memory socket though...

Cheers
Related resources
March 13, 2006 5:47:00 PM

This is exciting news! If it ends up being a reality it would mean that AMD CPU owners would have great upgrade paths. Imagine not having to buy a new mother board in order to get to the next generation of RAM!
March 13, 2006 5:47:54 PM

Quote:
Remember that the memory controller on AMD64 systems is on the CPU, and not on the motherboard, so it doesn't depend on the chipset. But mobos DO require the right memory socket though...

Cheers

werd, forgot about that.
March 13, 2006 6:24:39 PM

way to go amd if this is true then amd will be ahead of intel in memory for once
March 13, 2006 6:31:09 PM

Quote:
According to the Inq, this is what they say:
http://theinquirer.net/?article=30252

THERE is a big possibility that existing socket AM2 CPUs might just be able to support the upcoming DDR3 memory. That is the 2007 marchitecture but we spoke with a few people that believe that DDR 3 specification is so close to DDR 2 that it might just work. It is technically possible, it should be.

.........PC3-xxx (DDR3-1066 SDRAM); Clock Speed: 133MHz, Data Rate: 1066MHz, Through-put xxMB/s
.........PC3-xxx (DDR3-1333 SDRAM); Clock Speed: 167MHz, Data Rate: 1333MHz, Through-put xxMB/s
.........PC3-xxx (DDR3-1600 SDRAM); Clock Speed: 200MHz, Data Rate: 1600MHz, Through-put xxMB/s

AMD plans to implement DDR3 in 2008 according to their updated roadmap, I wouldn't put DDR3 away from AM2 as the pin-outs required using FB-DIMM's could be done up to Quad Channel w/ 940 Pins.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
March 13, 2006 6:36:17 PM

According to InterFaceBus.com:

DDR1 = Double Data Rate
DDD2 = Quad Data Rate
DDR3 = Octal Data Rate

Pretty interesting, so I guess the FSB to 333MHz or 400MHz isn't really gonna help much.

March 14, 2006 12:43:51 AM

Quote:
way to go amd if this is true then amd will be ahead of intel in memory for once

Actually it depends on the platform. If you put AMD on Server 2003 or another OS that supports NUMA, AMD is KILLING Intel bandwidth wise.
March 14, 2006 11:38:56 AM

Quote:

DDR1 = Double Data Rate
DDD2 = Quad Data Rate
DDR3 = Octal Data Rate

Mike, I think that this info may not be accurate as DDR2 and 3 work like DDR, with some new technological stuff, but they are still double data rate. And running at higher speeds like 333, 400 and 533 MHz, providing 667, 800 and 1066MHz data speed.

As long as I know, the only Octal Data Rate available at the market is XDR, which runs at 400MHz for a total of 3200MHz of data speed.

Edit: I´ve just checked the RAMBUS site, and they have just released XDR2, which runs at 1000 MHz, meaning 8000MHz of data speed. 8O
No more memory bottleneck again.... :wink:

Edit 2: AMD closed a deal with RAMBUS last year for cooperative development, but until now hasn´t said anything further about it (maybe we´ll get some "AM3" running on XDR :)  )
March 14, 2006 6:08:34 PM

Quote:

DDR1 = Double Data Rate
DDD2 = Quad Data Rate
DDR3 = Octal Data Rate

Mike, I think that this info may not be accurate as DDR2 and 3 work like DDR, with some new technological stuff, but they are still double data rate. And running at higher speeds like 333, 400 and 533 MHz, providing 667, 800 and 1066MHz data speed.

As long as I know, the only Octal Data Rate available at the market is XDR, which runs at 400MHz for a total of 3200MHz of data speed.

Edit: I´ve just checked the RAMBUS site, and they have just released XDR2, which runs at 1000 MHz, meaning 8000MHz of data speed. 8O
No more memory bottleneck again.... :wink:

Edit 2: AMD closed a deal with RAMBUS last year for cooperative development, but until now hasn´t said anything further about it (maybe we´ll get some "AM3" running on XDR :)  )

I was just parusing the web and came upon that information. It would explain a few things, such as why DDR2-400 on that AM2 platform was running @ 100MHz (100x4 for DDR2-400). I have only used DDR2 in friends' systems and in my MCSA class, never modded or overclocked it, so I can't say for sure. The site seemed to be legit, so I'm sure there's some truth to it.

March 14, 2006 6:45:09 PM

Quote:

I was just parusing the web and came upon that information. It would explain a few things, such as why DDR2-400 on that AM2 platform was running @ 100MHz (100x4 for DDR2-400). I have only used DDR2 in friends' systems and in my MCSA class, never modded or overclocked it, so I can't say for sure. The site seemed to be legit, so I'm sure there's some truth to it.

No problem, I´m not criticizing you. 8)
On the AM2 plataform, the only explanation I can give you is that it might have been having some problems with the access to memory. But as it was a engineering version, it´s not going to have this issues when it´s released.
March 14, 2006 6:51:43 PM

Quote:

No problem, I´m not criticizing you. 8)
On the AM2 plataform, the only explanation I can give you is that it might have been having some problems with the access to memory. But as it was a engineering version, it´s not going to have this issues when it´s released.

I think if it was a memory access problem, it might sport the issue w/ my A64 Laptop, where the memory is DDR33 166MHz but sometimes runs at 157MHz or 145MHz, I can only relate that issue to a Memory access issue, but IDK, gotta buy some DDR2 w/ AM2 and see for myself.

March 14, 2006 6:55:20 PM

Sadly, the systems that AMD was previewing at CeBit still have the memory controller problem.

http://www.computerbase.de/news/hardware/prozessoren/am...

This system was supposedly using 2GB of DDR2 800. Of course, between the engineering sample nature of the processor, and the unproven nForce 570 the results are obviously finicky. Still, it gives credence to AMD still having OMC issues which others have reported.

On a side note, the Turion X2 is also tested there. It's hard to compare to the Core Duo of course since the T2500 runs at 2GHz, and the Turion X2 there was only a 1.6GHz version.
March 14, 2006 7:00:08 PM

Quote:
Sadly, the systems that AMD was previewing at CeBit still have the memory controller problem.

http://www.computerbase.de/news/hardware/prozessoren/am...

This system was supposedly using 2GB of DDR2 800. Of course, between the engineering sample nature of the processor, and the unproven nForce 570 the results are obviously finicky. Still, it gives credence to AMD still having OMC issues which others have reported.

On a side note, the Turion X2 is also tested there. It's hard to compare to the Core Duo of course since the T2500 runs at 2GHz, and the Turion X2 there was only a 1.6GHz version.

I think people are too quick to blame the OMC for poor performance, the poor performance could be easily related to the mobo as much as the OMC.

!