Looking for that "sweet spot" motherboard...

uncle_bent

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'm shopping around for a motherboard for gaming. I'm not much interested in overclocking so I'll be using it as is. In looking around here and other places it seems as though AMD may have the edge at the moment over Intel. People also seem to like Foxconn.

What I'm really looking for is that motherboard that occupies the current sweet spot between performance and price. You know the one I'm talking about. It's last year's model, performs at about 90% of the level of expensive state-of-the-art stuff but is reliable and proven. I haven't built a machine in a while so I don't know where the sweet spot is these days.

Any suggestions? Oh, and what processor would you run on it?

Thanks! BF

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
How about a Foxconn NF4UK8AA-8EKRS with an Athlon 64 or Athlon 64 X2, or an Opty 165 or 170? Model of CPU would depend on your price point and preference.

oenomel

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
I just put together an Abit KN8 SLI, haven't used SLI yet, but the price is right especially for SLI, and it didn't give me any problems. Keep an eye out for rebates.

uncle_bent

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Has anyone had dealings with the support arm of either of these companies? The reason I ask is that I had a problem with the SATA controller on an ASUS motherboard recently and ASUS support was very little help.

yourbestfriend

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I had to RMA the last Asus MOBO I bought but, they were pretty good about it. I replaced it with Abit. I emailed them once about a small issue I had, I got a email back the next day.