xp upgrade

I have recently bought xp home upgrade. However my
computer reports that there is 'not enough memory
available for installation - delete some applications'. I
have done this but I am still getting a not enough memory
message. This time however, it reads, 'install XP by
removing Win 98'.
I have two options
1 - get new memory and install it myself effectively
splitting my hard drive, which I would rather avoid
or
2 - Installing XP by removing Win 98.
What I need to know is if I take option 2 will I lose my
current application and files? Or how can I 'create' some
memory temporarily whilst xp upgrade is running

Hi

Do you mean memory or disk space? What is the exact error message?

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"cschless" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently bought xp home upgrade. However my
> computer reports that there is 'not enough memory
> available for installation - delete some applications'. I
> have done this but I am still getting a not enough memory
> message. This time however, it reads, 'install XP by
> removing Win 98'.
> I have two options
> 1 - get new memory and install it myself effectively
> splitting my hard drive, which I would rather avoid
> or
> 2 - Installing XP by removing Win 98.
> What I need to know is if I take option 2 will I lose my
> current application and files? Or how can I 'create' some
> memory temporarily whilst xp upgrade is running

Tnere appears to be not enough hard drive to load xp
onto. I have been told that once installed the os will
give some hard drive back, but to get it on it uses more
space than it will eventually need.

The messages (off the top of my head) read

1 - not enough memeory to install, please delete some
applications currently installed on your pc

I then deleted a number of applications

2 - not enough memory to install. would you like to delete
your current OS files and install XP

The fact that it wanted me to delete applicatins suggests
it wants to use hard drive. RAM on my pc is 128mb, not
the biggest but it ought to do.

Hi

Yes, it would appear that you will have free some extra disk space. 128 Mbs
is OK, but another 128 or 384 Mbs would be better.

The following article may be of use to you:

"The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 2"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;837783

--

> Tnere appears to be not enough hard drive to load xp
> onto. I have been told that once installed the os will
> give some hard drive back, but to get it on it uses more
> space than it will eventually need.
>
> The messages (off the top of my head) read
>
> 1 - not enough memeory to install, please delete some
> applications currently installed on your pc
>
> I then deleted a number of applications
>
> 2 - not enough memory to install. would you like to delete
> your current OS files and install XP
>
> The fact that it wanted me to delete applicatins suggests
> it wants to use hard drive. RAM on my pc is 128mb, not
> the biggest but it ought to do.

Can I install XP upgrade, removing my currant win 98,
without losing any files or programs?

Hi

If you have an Upgrade XP CD with Win 98 installed, you can install XP and
then remove Win 98:

Remove Win9x/Me & Keep Win XP"
http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#Remove

You can a full Retail XP CD in the same way. If you have an OEM version,
then you will only be able to perform a 'Clean' install of XP, which would
mean losing all data and programs on your hard disk/partition.

--

> Can I install XP upgrade, removing my currant win 98,
> without losing any files or programs?

>Hi
>
>If you have an Upgrade XP CD with Win 98 installed, you
can install XP and
>then remove Win 98:

I can't install xp until I have either a, created more
space on my hard drive, or b, uninstalled win 98 at a
prompt from the XP upgrade as it installing. My question
on that is I am happy to remove 98 but will I then lose
all of my files?

Gordon

> >Hi
> >
> >If you have an Upgrade XP CD with Win 98 installed, you
> can install XP and
> >then remove Win 98:
> >
> I can't install xp until I have either a, created more
> space on my hard drive, or b, uninstalled win 98 at a
> prompt from the XP upgrade as it installing. My question
> on that is I am happy to remove 98 but will I then lose
> all of my files?

yes, because of the way that W98 stores your data (ie in
C:\Windows\profiles).