7900 GT's outa stock on the egg

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
Their was an evga 7900GT that i wanted to pick up from newegg.com but its out of stock and not so much as even a restock date :evil:

It was like THE best bang for the buck because it was only 299$ and it was clocked at 500/1500 (dont know if thats stock or they oc'ed the hell out of it).

So does it look good for me to get one before the end of this month??? :?

a_Jhawk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
The GTX's are going to be back in stock this week (16th or 17th) so i would guess next week the 7900GT's will be in.

carpcmelee

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
just wait. seriously. if u get a x1800, forget about adding anything else to ur pc except for a usb hub*snickers*. it is huge! i heard it doesnt even finish 3dmark!

jrwriter

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
The 7900 GT is cooler, way quieter since it doesnt have a blow dryer on top of it. Has great overclockability and equals beats the 1800XT 512 mb on stock speeds, so imagine oc speeds. Go to zipzoomfly.com. PRONTO. THEY HAVE ALOT in stock, from $309 (was $299, but price went up) Free 2nd Day shipping. :D Im expecting mine on Wenesday

thedrake

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
Their was an evga 7900GT that i wanted to pick up from newegg.com but its out of stock and not so much as even a restock date :evil:

It was like THE best bang for the buck because it was only 299$ and it was clocked at 500/1500 (dont know if thats stock or they oc'ed the hell out of it).

So does it look good for me to get one before the end of this month??? :?

I'm totally sorry. I managed to get one on the day of the release. The price was 319...but when you looked at the item it said 299...I scooped it up, going to be here Tuesday or Wednesday....it is enroute :)

Have been pricing, and picking all the pieces of my rig, and when I saw the announcement and them on sale at Newegg....that was enough for me to pull the trigger on all of it.

Picked up a X2 4400 along with an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe mobo. Will be picking up a 2nd eVGA 7900GT in about 6 months :)

7900GT is better than the 7800GTx...it is smaller, it runs faster and it runs cooler and it runs quieter...AND for 100-150 less.....what is there not to like about the 7900GT?

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Take a look at this benchmark:
http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q1/geforce-7600-7900/index.x?pg=1
I don't trust this site but:
7900GT is BY NO MEANs(i don't care about 3d marks i only care about FPSes and game performance) faster it's roughly equal to a 1800XT( spare me the games meant to run on nvidia) but 1800XT has a much better IQ. Power consumption is not important and the 1800XT won't overheat. Again for 300$ i'd rather go for a more visually impressive card. Cause performance speaking,both will run like charm and SLI is useless cause by the time you decide to upgrade your gfx there will be a card costing only a couple of bucks more that will perform on par to your SLI configuration.
7900GT is a good card but too much fuss about is being made. It's a good card but again it has "poor" IQ and i've seen many seeing the difference when switching to ATI.

cleeve

Illustrious
if u get a x1800, forget about adding anything else to ur pc except for a usb hub*snickers*. it is huge! i heard it doesnt even finish 3dmark!

"What you heard" is a bunch of BS.

As you can see from my sig, even the lowly X1800 XL will finish 3dMark quite nicely, thanks.

An X1800 XT will hold up very well to a 7900 GT. The X1800 XT is considered slightly better than a 7800 GTX, and a 7900 GT is basically a 7800 GTX with a slight clockspeed boost.

Anybody who says the X1800 XT isn't in the same league as a 7900 GT is quite mistaken...

The X1800 XT will meet, and usually beat, the 7900 GT.

Check firingsquad's benches:
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_7900_gt_gtx_performance/page9.asp

The X1800 XT will beat the 7900 GT in:

Half Life 2
Battlefield 2
Quake 4 at high res/AA (!!!)
FEAR
COD 2
Serious Sam 2

So what the heck are you guiys doing dissin the X1800 XT?

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
can someone explain whats the difference between the gt and gtx they both have 24 pipelines but how many shaders (and i know about the ram and core clock difference just are their any factors apart from that that make the cards different from one another)

pauldh

Illustrious
Hey thanks for pointing out some facts and saving me the time of having to respond more than "I agree with what Cleeve said". Reading on down it was quite obvious a few people had a twisted view of reality.

As is typical lately, they trade blows in current games, so individual people could easily pick either as being best for them. But overall, the X1800XT is easily at least on par with the 7900GT; in my book it's ahead. I'd like to see 256MB X1800XT take on 7900GT in a few trustworthy reviews, as well as these two cards price battle each other below $300 USD.

cleeve

Illustrious
can someone explain whats the difference between the gt and gtx they both have 24 pipelines but how many shaders

The 7900 GT and GTX have identical features: 24 pixel shaders, 8 vertex shaders, 24 texture units and 16 raster operation processors.

They differe only in clockspeeds.

7900 GTX: 650/800
7900 GT: 450/660

jrwriter

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Lets get this straight. The 7900 GT at stock speeds is equal to the 1800 XT, give and take some. The 1800XT beats the 7900GT by like 1-4 frames in the games you mentioned. And thats without tweaking., etc. They are NECK AND NECK so don't lie. When the 7900 GT is oced it beats the 1800xt 512 mb by small and medium margins. Bottom line is that they are neck and neck stock. The 7900 GT is quieter (no blow dryer on top), Its smaller, Its cooler running and it oc's like a beast. If you like noise, heat etc then go ahead with the 1800 xt. They are both good cards anyways. The dude that said he'll take a 1800xt cause it looks more attractive is silly. WHat are you going to be doing, staring at it through your pc case. Please. :lol:

pauldh

Illustrious
Lets get this straight. The 7900 GT at stock speeds is equal to the 1800 XT, give and take some. The 1800XT beats the 7900GT by like 1-4 frames in the games you mentioned.

Better look again. 1-4 fps is WAY off base.

BF2 with AA/AF the X1800XT is 50% faster at some playable resolutions.

Fear AA/AF 8+ fps

COD2 AA/AF 10+ fps

Honeslty, look over the link he gave, and the games he mentioned. There is often a 20-50% difference in framerates and at playable settings even. Where you getting 1-4 fps in the games he mentioned?

jrwriter

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
HAHAHAH, People like you so called "nerds" base everything on a irrelevent benchmark. The BF2 benchmark either had all settings on ultra low, or it was ademo benchmark of some sort, Or these must be the highest frame rate recorded. PLEASE! You actually think the 1800XT plays BF2 at 140 Frames per second. :roll: What are you smoking, 140 frames? Even the 7900 Gt 112 frames obviously arnt accurate. Like I said this isnt gameplay. BF2 doesnt play at 140 Frames per second, I dont know of any game that has fps that fast. Its silly. If these are the benchmarks that make you feel like a ATI king Kong then you were fooled. Look at real gameplay frames ok.
140 FPS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
can someone explain whats the difference between the gt and gtx they both have 24 pipelines but how many shaders

The 7900 GT and GTX have identical features: 24 pixel shaders, 8 vertex shaders, 24 texture units and 16 raster operation processors.

They differe only in clockspeeds.

7900 GTX: 650/800
7900 GT: 450/660 thank you cleeve so for 300$ i can get my self a near gtx card right and if i oc it will be about even cause the ram is 1.2 ns on the gt and 1.1. on the gtx so if i oc i get a gtx for cheap :D and this sucks that the gtx was supposed to have 32 pipes but it only has 24 :cry:

pauldh

Illustrious
HAHAHAH, People like you so called "nerds" base everything on a irrelevent benchmark. The BF2 benchmark either had all settings on ultra low, or it was ademo benchmark of some sort, Or these must be the highest frame rate recorded. PLEASE! You actually think the 1800XT plays BF2 at 140 Frames per second. :roll: What are you smoking, 140 frames? Even the 7900 Gt 112 frames obviously arnt accurate. Like I said this isnt gameplay. BF2 doesnt play at 140 Frames per second, I dont know of any game that has fps that fast. Its silly. If these are the benchmarks that make you feel like a ATI king Kong then you were fooled. Look at real gameplay frames ok.
140 FPS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh what a pitiful attempt to cover your butt. "settings on ultra low" LOL, stop before I wet myself. Yeah, they always review high end video cards at ultra low settings. :roll: :roll: :lol: Well, lets face the facts, you said 1-4 fps in the games he mentioned, which was completely untrue. Hide your mistake any way you would like. You were wrong, plain and simple.

Did you even read his link, or just pull 1-4 fps out of your state of denial? "NV new card, must be best, me no believe benchmarks, timedemos, or da pros who doos dem reviews.

Few sites use real world gameplay as it is not repeateable and less accuracte for dierect comparison. So you are beasically stating video card reviews not using actual gameplay have no bases, so I will pull a number out of the toilet to make my choice look better? Interesting what the "non-geeks" do to justify those they cheer for.

[H] uses real gameplay, but has not reviewed the 7900GT. But the slower 7800GTX was able to play BF2 at 1600x1200 with all eye candy maxed out.

Here, in case you are challeneged and can't click through to the other pages: :roll:
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_7900_gt_gtx_performance/page14.asp
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_7900_gt_gtx_performance/page15.asp

Ok, maybe on a P4 1.7 willie on sdr your 1 fps difference would hold true. :lol:

jrwriter

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
hahahah, And how does ATI display games better thsn Nvidia. Tell me, 8) Thats so funny hahahah,. You actually said that a 1800Xt displays games better than a 7900GT. LOL, That is the most sillyist statement I heard. At least come up with something like "its faster". Its "performs", has good frames. Well my keyboard types letters better than yours.

pauldh

Illustrious
Are you capable of real info, or is everything a joke to you?

IQ is subjective to some degree, but reviews have pointed out areas where ATI IQ(image quality) is higher.

Also, only ATI currently allows for HDR and FSAA to be used at once, which if playable is an image quality/feature benefit.

Another NV issue is texture crawling or shimmering. [H] finally joins other less know sites and brings this out in the open. It was also mentioned in another 7900 review, guru3d I think. It's caused by optimizations that are on by default in NV's drivers. Disable these optimizations and the 7900 takes a big performance hit. So if you notice the shimmering and want to get rid of it, you at least can disable the optimizations, but will get worse performance.

If you care to learn something or read about another issue you may deny, read the Shimmering section near the bottom of this page. Note, and I quote "Comparatively, texture crawling is much worse on NVIDIA GPUs than on ATI GPUs from our experience" http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTAwMSwxOCwsaGVudGh1c2lhc3Q=