Help! Connecting a USB-b to a parallel socket

OK, here's a hard one. I need some advice.

I own a D-Link wireless printer server with a parallel printer socket.
I want to buy a new printer but everything sold today only features
USB. So, essentially I need to connect a USB-b (printer-end USB) to a
parallel socket.

To be blatantly obvious:

Printer (USB) --- wireless print server (parallel only) ------- laptop.
Thank in advance for the help.

<ebakunin@gmail.com> wrote in message
> OK, here's a hard one. I need some advice.
>
> I own a D-Link wireless printer server with a parallel printer socket.
> I want to buy a new printer but everything sold today only features
> USB. So, essentially I need to connect a USB-b (printer-end USB) to a
> parallel socket.

There are converters that would allow printing to a parallel printer from a USB
port but not vice versa.

An alternative would be to get a printer such as a DeskJet 5650 or 6540 that
have parallel ports or units such as a DeskJet 5850 or 6840 that have built in
802.11b wireless networking. The price differential for the printer is less
than the cost of an external USB server. See:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236251-236261-14438-f51-304441.html,
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236251-236261-14438-f51-357210.html,
or
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236251-236261-14438-f51-385457.html.

Regards,

On 30 Dec 2004 16:55:48 -0800, <ebakunin@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, here's a hard one. I need some advice.
>
> I own a D-Link wireless printer server with a parallel printer socket.
> I want to buy a new printer but everything sold today only features
> USB. So, essentially I need to connect a USB-b (printer-end USB) to a
> parallel socket.
>
> To be blatantly obvious:
>
> Printer (USB) --- wireless print server (parallel only) ------- laptop.
> Thank in advance for the help.

You'd better give up. These are two completely different interfaces, they
communicate in an entirely different way. This is not a matter of matching
the right pair of wires... You get the point? :)

BobS

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_printer_cable.htm?source=findwhat
http://www.usbport.com/
http://www.cablesdirect.com/search_result3.asp?txtKeyword=UC-1284GB&txtName=USB+to+Parallel+Printer+Cables
http://inktomi-cnet.com.com/Targus_USB_to_Parallel_Adapter/4014-3380_9-20294070.html?part=inktomi-cnet&subj=Targus+USB+to+Parallel+Adapter&tag=feed

Lots of choices out there to convert from USB to Parallel. Just Google for
"USB to Parallel"

Bob S.

<ebakunin@gmail.com> wrote in message
> OK, here's a hard one. I need some advice.
>
> I own a D-Link wireless printer server with a parallel printer socket.
> I want to buy a new printer but everything sold today only features
> USB. So, essentially I need to connect a USB-b (printer-end USB) to a
> parallel socket.
>
> To be blatantly obvious:
>
> Printer (USB) --- wireless print server (parallel only) ------- laptop.
> Thank in advance for the help.

bill

Bob Headrick wrote:

>There are converters that would allow printing to a parallel printer from a USB
>port but not vice versa.
>
>An alternative would be to get a printer such as a DeskJet 5650 or 6540 that
>have parallel ports or units such as a DeskJet 5850 or 6840 that have built in

Just a slight correction - the HP 6540 does not have a parallel port.
Unless there are two versions of it. :)

"Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:4pGdnTmrrM9HoEjcRVn-pw@golden.net...
> Bob Headrick wrote:

>>An alternative would be to get a printer such as a DeskJet 5650 or 6540 that
>>have parallel ports or units such as a DeskJet 5850 or 6840 that have built
>>in
>
> Just a slight correction - the HP 6540 does not have a parallel port.
> Unless there are two versions of it. :)

Oops - you are correct. I was getting confused with the 5550 and 5650 which
the 6540 superseded. Thanks for correcting my error.

Regards,
Bob Headrick

<ebakunin@gmail.com> wrote in message
> OK, here's a hard one. I need some advice.
>
> I own a D-Link wireless printer server with a parallel printer socket.
> I want to buy a new printer but everything sold today only features
> USB. So, essentially I need to connect a USB-b (printer-end USB) to a
> parallel socket.
>
> To be blatantly obvious:
>
> Printer (USB) --- wireless print server (parallel only) ------- laptop.
> Thank in advance for the help.

There are still quite a number of printers with Parallel as well as USB. For
instance mine - Canon ip4000 - very happy with it, I'm running it on USB,
but it also has a parallel connection. Shouldn't be that hard to find one
you're happy with (though I don't know what kind of printer you're after)

bill

Bob Headrick wrote:

>> Just a slight correction - the HP 6540 does not have a parallel port.
>> Unless there are two versions of it. :)
>
>Oops - you are correct. I was getting confused with the 5550 and 5650 which
>the 6540 superseded. Thanks for correcting my error.

Well that's the first one I've seen from you, so being a new year and
all, we'll let that one go. :)

Happy New Year!