The word "Professional" disappeared...

I purchased a brand new computer from Dell about a year ago, and Windows XP
Professional already pre-installed in it. However, recently I found it
necessary to delete everything from my hard drive and to re-install Windows
XP all over again. I did not register Windows XP Professional the second
time, and decided to wait. But apparently the computer registered it for me
already. Anyway, I have not had any trouble with the computer at all, with
the only exception of the word "Professional" missing when I booted it up.
The computer screen now says "Windows XP" only. Did I do anything wrong? Is
there any way I can remedy this minor problem?
4 answers Last reply
More about word professional disappeared

    Hi

    Have you installed SP2? If so, that is normal - nothing to worry about.

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "SIRHENRYTHEGREAT@YAHOO.COM"
    <SIRHENRYTHEGREAT@YAHOO.COM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I purchased a brand new computer from Dell about a year ago, and Windows XP
    > Professional already pre-installed in it. However, recently I found it
    > necessary to delete everything from my hard drive and to re-install
    > Windows
    > XP all over again. I did not register Windows XP Professional the second
    > time, and decided to wait. But apparently the computer registered it for
    > me
    > already. Anyway, I have not had any trouble with the computer at all,
    > with
    > the only exception of the word "Professional" missing when I booted it up.
    > The computer screen now says "Windows XP" only. Did I do anything wrong?
    > Is
    > there any way I can remedy this minor problem?

    Yes, I installed SP2. Also, this morning I found a message that says "No
    Direct 3D Found" floating in the computer screen. I had recently installed a
    3D screen saver. What do you think it mean? What can I do? Is this a major
    problem???

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Have you installed SP2? If so, that is normal - nothing to worry about.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "SIRHENRYTHEGREAT@YAHOO.COM"
    > <SIRHENRYTHEGREAT@YAHOO.COM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I purchased a brand new computer from Dell about a year ago, and Windows XP
    > > Professional already pre-installed in it. However, recently I found it
    > > necessary to delete everything from my hard drive and to re-install
    > > Windows
    > > XP all over again. I did not register Windows XP Professional the second
    > > time, and decided to wait. But apparently the computer registered it for
    > > me
    > > already. Anyway, I have not had any trouble with the computer at all,
    > > with
    > > the only exception of the word "Professional" missing when I booted it up.
    > > The computer screen now says "Windows XP" only. Did I do anything wrong?
    > > Is
    > > there any way I can remedy this minor problem?

    Go to Start/Run and enter dxdiag then click OK. Page 2 - check your
    directx files are ok, page 3 - there's an entry for Direct 3D...enable it.

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada.
    > Yes, I installed SP2. Also, this morning I found a message that says "No
    > Direct 3D Found" floating in the computer screen. I had recently
    > installed a
    > 3D screen saver. What do you think it mean? What can I do? Is this a
    > major
    > problem???
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Have you installed SP2? If so, that is normal - nothing to worry about.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "SIRHENRYTHEGREAT@YAHOO.COM"
    >> <SIRHENRYTHEGREAT@YAHOO.COM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I purchased a brand new computer from Dell about a year ago, and Windows
    >> >XP
    >> > Professional already pre-installed in it. However, recently I found it
    >> > necessary to delete everything from my hard drive and to re-install
    >> > Windows
    >> > XP all over again. I did not register Windows XP Professional the
    >> > second
    >> > time, and decided to wait. But apparently the computer registered it
    >> > for
    >> > me
    >> > already. Anyway, I have not had any trouble with the computer at all,
    >> > with
    >> > the only exception of the word "Professional" missing when I booted it
    >> > up.
    >> > The computer screen now says "Windows XP" only. Did I do anything
    >> > wrong?
    >> > Is
    >> > there any way I can remedy this minor problem?

    Hello Peter,
    Thanks for the response. I did exactly as you instructed, however I was not
    able to find a file titled "Direct 3D" I did find a bunch of dll files, such
    as "d3d8.dll", "d3d8thk.dll", "d3d9.dll", "d3dm.dll", "d3dm700.dll",
    "d3dramp.dll" "d3drm.dll", d3dxof.dll", and "d3dmesh.dll". Which one of
    these shuold I enable, and how do it enable it???
    Regards,
    Henry

Computers Windows XP