Sign in with
Your question

X1800XT 256MB VS 7900GT 256MB.. Which would you get

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 13, 2006 10:30:57 PM

Which would you choose and why??

Heres my logic thus far

7900GT is a smaller card, should use less power and give off less heat. Said to be a monster OC'er. And I've heard they DID fix the softshadows and AA deal.

X1800XT is said to be far superior for video work, which I sometimes do. It has VIVO and is said in general to be better then the 7900GT. But the only one I could get for under 300$ is a 299$ one on newegg.com but its OEM. (made by saphire but its like an OEM version of a saphire card meaning no warrenties or anything.. if it arrives DOA could I even get it RMA'ed??). Its said to be superior in pixel shader heavy cames and can do softshadows plus AA.

INONO which would you choose if you had to buy right now??
March 13, 2006 11:09:50 PM

i would get an X1900XT, but that would be only for gaming, don't know anything aabout video editing. 7900GTX would be nice also, but I think the other one is cheaper
March 13, 2006 11:27:29 PM

its X1800XT vs 7900GT

I dont have and wont spend over 500$ on a VGA
Related resources
March 14, 2006 2:28:12 AM

7900 GT all the way. Its smaller, quieter, no blow dryer on top, lighter, more overclockable, and eqauls.beats the 1800xt at stock, and takes a moderate lead when oced. Definietly the 7900 GT.
March 14, 2006 3:12:50 AM

Quote:
Which would you choose and why??

Heres my logic thus far

7900GT is a smaller card, should use less power and give off less heat. Said to be a monster OC'er. And I've heard they DID fix the softshadows and AA deal.

X1800XT is said to be far superior for video work, which I sometimes do. It has VIVO and is said in general to be better then the 7900GT. But the only one I could get for under 300$ is a 299$ one on newegg.com but its OEM. (made by saphire but its like an OEM version of a saphire card meaning no warrenties or anything.. if it arrives DOA could I even get it RMA'ed??). Its said to be superior in pixel shader heavy cames and can do softshadows plus AA.

INONO which would you choose if you had to buy right now??

Hmmm, just made that choice....well really no choice at all - 7900GT. Ordered the eVGA 7900Gt from newegg a couple of days ago, will be here on Tuesday. (out of stock now until the 17 I think).

The 7900GT is faster on the benchmarks from what I"ve ready, smaller, cooler, quieter, cheaper.

I do EVERYTHING - from business applications (read heavy duty spreadsheets and databases with oodles of calculations) to video editing/encoding to hard core gameing.....the 7900GT IS the sweet spot.

Faster than the 7800GTX (256mb), but cooler, quieter, cheaper.
March 14, 2006 3:24:42 AM

well for performance, the x1900xt, not only can it be clocked and such to a XTX but it can run HRD and AA during a game at the same time. The 7900gt performs good and is only $300, but I would rather have the x1900 if I had enough money.
March 14, 2006 3:25:58 AM

i would get the 7900 gt, there should be some models that come with vivo? i just like nVidia drivers better, and SLi is one year ahead in development over crossfire.

and like what all people said, the 7900 gt is smaller, quieter, cooler, and faster. can't beat that, and best of all, it's only $299. :D 
March 14, 2006 11:36:29 AM

ow, sorry, I thought you ment what I would buy, but if you have to choose between the two you mentioned, I would go for the 7900GT, just because I think it's better after hearing other people's opinions and experiences with it,

greetz
March 15, 2006 11:04:58 AM

X1800XT with no contest. Performs better than the 7900GT and has VIVO. The card isn't as loud as they say. They are at the same price point, $300. Don't fall into the hype that newer is always better, because that isn't always true. I'm sure another person with unbiased views and without misconceptions will give you some help.
a b U Graphics card
March 15, 2006 11:33:38 AM

"X1800XT with no contest. Performs better than the 7900GT and has VIVO."

Performs better at ....what?
a b U Graphics card
March 15, 2006 1:39:02 PM

Here we go again. There isn't a universal right answer for everyone; they are both great cards. One problem is we don't have benchies on the 256MB X1800XT, but COD2 looks to be the only game offering a memory amount boost right now anyway. To tell the truth it all depends on what games you play. Most OGL games the 7900GT wins, yet at max playable settings the X1800XT is barely behind in D3 and Q4. Most Flight sims the 7900GT wins. BF2, Fear, COD2, an many other big titles the X1800XT easily wins. Honestly, those that say the 7900GT is easily faster are misinformed or just not telling the truth. It's so close, but if anything the X1800XT is winning the newest shader intesive games, and the lead increases when eye candy (FSAA, AF, softshadows) is used. For my games, no doubt the X800XT is better, for yours that may not be the case.

Here check out all the games and you will see when FSAA an AF are used (makes sense on a high end card right) the X180)XT dominates certain games. http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_7900...

As far as size, the cards are physically the same except for one takes up two slots. The 7900GT does use less power. Those complaining about noise, have probably never heard one. It idles down and only in heavy gaming to it rev up. If someone is so worried about noise, grab a ATI silencer from artic cooling like the HIS IceQ's come with, it will lower the temps, and just about silence the card.

Sapphire Oem should have a 1 year warranty, but you could always email/call Newegg first.

Anyway, don't believe anyone that tells you one of these cards is far better than the other. It simply isn't true. I'd take the X1800XT because to me it's slightly more powerful, it wins most of the games I care about, the fact it's winning the shader intensive games looks good for the future, and it has Avivo. But if someone decides they want to buy my current 7800GT, I wouldn't mind the 7900GT either. And I would not fault anyone for buying the 7900GT instead, especially if their favorite games favor it. I'd just like to know they researched it and know where each card excels, and that they got good non-fanboy advice. Most of this talk up above is of ________for sure, is stating personal preference as fact, which I quickly grow tired of reading. There is no for sure answer for everyone in this case, yet there definately would be for sure answers as to which card we as individuals would buy. For me, the X1800XT, for you????, pick one that's best in your games; they are both great.

Just don't fall for a I have never used an ATI card, so the NV is better, or visavera, which I know has come out in at least one post above. I tell you, I use both equally as much, depending on the budget and need.
March 15, 2006 9:04:59 PM

Thank you paul, I didn't have time to write up much and I figured he would want to be playing games like FEAR and COD2 if he wanted that good a graphics card.

Like Pal said everyone, you need to check your sources for credibility, like your english or history teacher might say in college. Firingsquad would be my first look for benchies, even though they don't have the largest index of every resolution and detail setting for benchies, they are very credible as they have haven't been very biased for either ATI or Nvidia.

The big thing I would have pointed out, like Paul mentioned (way to go, your on my list of intelligent people :)  ), that games using extensive shading techniques, along with AA and AF, the X1800XT will benefit from. If you are gaming on a monitor, my guess a 17" or 19", you will most likely be using 1280x960 or 1024x768, so you should be able to turn everything up and maintain awesome frame rates.

A well cooled case should not hit the high settings on the X1800XT, if they do, you might have to mess around using ATItool or something of your liking to adjust the settings.

I am sorry again for the my earlier post, I was in a hurry. I would look at the X1800XT for more of the newer games coming out because I know they will be trying new techniques with shading, I believe Oblivion is using something a little bit different. Depending on the games you play, the X1800XT may or may not be for you, I just tend to play newer games, so the X1800XT is for me. I also use AVIVO, so that may or may not be a factor. Just thought I would get in some facts, many already said by Paul, about the X1800XT apposed to the BS fanboyism you get from the 7900GT. Its not that I don't like the 7900GT, I just don't like the people that LOVE the 7900GT. I was about to buy it also, but found that the X1800XT had a 256MB counterpart, which swayed my decision.
March 15, 2006 10:51:10 PM

Which verison of the X1800XT are they using in those benchies in the link Paul???

Im thinking that the 7900GT is the way i want to go... espically since im going to overclock it. Playing on 1600x1200 with 4XAA 16XAF isnt a must for me.

1024x768 with 4XAA and 8XAF is enough for me.
March 15, 2006 11:09:23 PM

They are using the 256MB version, I think.
March 16, 2006 1:39:44 AM

8) Mr Pokemon :lol:  :lol:  Ok, First off Paul is the only one here basing his posts on facts and he's not being biased. Hes a mature person and he respects everyones choice and just tells the truth.....ON the other hand you are just a Fanboy trying to hide it, and sneaking little fanboy comments in your posts. Please. Your posting as much crap as a fanboy that came in and said ATI IS THE BEST. look at these people. This guy is a simple undecover fanboy

"I just tend to play newer games, so the X1800XT is for me"

WHat a worthless comment, Pikachu is showing his fanboyism by trying to say that the 1800XT handles newer games and the 7900GT sucks on them. SO he says he plays newer games so the 1800XT is fine. So what about people that get a 7900GT, do think they get it for Older games. Stop trying to hide your fanboyism its seeping out your pores. What you could have said is "The 1800XT has a slight advantage in shader heavy games, but overclocking the 7900GT makes up for some of this," The cards are neck and neck, Admit it and stop posting crap trying to say the 1800XT is for new games. Who the heck pays $299 to play a older game. The cards are both great. I have a 7900Gt and Im helping my bro get a 1800XT for $299 because I think both cards are great. And i wouldnt mind having either, heat isnt an issue for the 1800 XT, and it has alot of great coolers that fit it. Also the 7900 gt is overclockable to make up for its flak against the 1800Xt and they are neck and neck.

Another silly post by him

"I just don't like the people that LOVE the 7900GT"

Whats wrong with loving the 7900 Gt and the 1800XT, they are both great cards.

"Depending on the games you play, the X1800XT may or may not be for you"

What a senseless post. Hes trying to say if you play new games get a 1800XT, if you play old ones get a 7900GT. Why wouldnt you want a 1800Xt for older games. People buy cards for new games and they handle older games. When was the last time you heard that a game that could handle Fear on high couldnt handle Half Life 2. Use your head, and stop trying to spew garbage secretly. They are both good cards ok. Your act is disgracefull. 8) Just admit it man, no need to reply trying to insult me. If you dont have anything positive and unbiased to say then shutup and go watch pokemon Kid, since you love it so much. If you do have something smart and unbiased , as well as positive to say then go ahead.
March 16, 2006 2:45:00 AM

I am sorry I came off as a bad person. I will state that I am not a fanboy of any kind, nor do my posts reflect such. I have owned a 6800GT for quite some time now. I recommended the 6600GT quite some time ago to my older brother, more so based on its popularity. I also have owned a X800GTO for a short time and thought it performed very well compared to the 6800GT. I actually would classify myself more towards an Nvidia Fanboy if I were to be labeled a fanboy of any kind.

Now when you were replying to many of my remarks, you committed an act worse than fanboyism by over reacting and making assumptions. I use firingsquad.com for a reason, because they are a very balanced site, in terms of liking Nvidia and ATI. I also listen to smart people like paul, because they have much more experience than I do. I can only think of one other possible source to base my knowledge on, and that would be actually designing the cards. Since I do not do that, my information I give will be based on benchmarks and intelligent comments.

If people LOVE a graphics card, they will do anything for it, even giving their tainted opinion on the card. If I spend $300 on a card and liked it, I would recommend it, though I have seen nothing of the competition.

"Depending on the games you play, the X1800XT may or may not be for you"
kinda looks like
"For me, the X1800XT, for you????, pick one that's best in your games; they are both great" -Pauldh

It is probably the best advice you can give. After last generations fiasco with DirectX and OpenGL, you have to know, you can get more bang for your buck that way. Some games will have better performance when using different cards.

Now the thing I don't get is why you attacked my post, rather than saying what Paul and I have said. I believe it was actually beneficial for me to make a first statement like I did, otherwise, WOWchamp may have already ordered his card without knowing, then finding out later that he actually played games that would have had larger benefits had he chosen the other card. And even yet, I'm not sure Paul would have posted had I not mad such a radical post. I take my comments back from it, but I will not take the reaction it caused.

In all, I am sorry to make the impression I am a fanboy, because we all hate them. I am sorry for my initial statement, but am happy for the notice it was given. Yes, I do agree that they are neck and neck, but it depends on what games you play and ALSO, what type of details you are wanting. Some details in a game will be utilized to their fullest in one card and not so much in the other card. They are not the same card by any means, so you can not treat them the exact same. They have their weaknesses and advantages. Use those weaknesses and advantages to your advantage. Then you will choose the right card.
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2006 3:08:20 AM

Quote:
Which verison of the X1800XT are they using in those benchies in the link Paul???

Im thinking that the 7900GT is the way i want to go... espically since im going to overclock it. Playing on 1600x1200 with 4XAA 16XAF isnt a must for me.

1024x768 with 4XAA and 8XAF is enough for me.

Actually it is the 512MB version(I thought I mentioned that?). Most of those charts should remain the same, but the COD2 one I suspect the 256MB X1800XT would not keep up with the 512MB one tested.

As far as resolutions, at 10x7 both these cards should handle any of the current games pretty well at maxed out settings. One thing to keep in mind about the higher resolutions and especially with eye candy, is it is a less cpu intensive setting and it shows a cards power more. Remeber, this is todays games, but we are also trying to guess how future games will play. So todays games at 1600x1200 could somewhat help show what will play tomorrows games at lower resolutions. When I bought my 6800U, it was a good 1280x1024 2-4X FSAA/16X AF card. But already look what COD2, Fear, and even the older Splinter Cell:CT did to the card. That's partly why I am interested in the shader intensive games looking toward the future. But its also a good reason to consider which card has the highest playable settings even if you are happy with lower settings. Guaranteed if a card's best playable settings now is 1024x768 4X/16X, that FSAA will soon have to be turned off, then the AF, then the detail level or resolution will have to be turned down, etc. SO looking beyond 10x7 isn't a bad idea. it's late, and I am wiped; so i hope this made sense.

The 7900GT is a great card and it should OC fine. But even looking at the 7900GTX and it's mega high speeds, the X1800XT beats it in COD2 and both are 512MB cards in that test. Also, in Fear, the 7900GTX only wins by a couple FPS at max playable settings. So while OC'ing the 7900GT will definately boost performance, there probably would still be some games where the X1800XT would still be better. And others where the 7900GT wins of course.

But since you plan to OC, grab the 7900GT and I'm sure you will be very happy. I am not at all trying to stop you from buying the NV, I'd just like for you to make your decision based on facts not the loudest cheerleaders. :D  :D  :D 

G'luck and enjoy.
March 16, 2006 3:09:35 AM

Ok I can agree with that. Ive already said more than 5 times that the 7900GT and 1800Xt are great cards. Alot of people have the 7900GT, alot have the 1800XT. Benchmarks do range, And I think experience is the best teacher. Some benchmarks say the 7900GT wins at OC speeds, I wont lie, the 1800XT has a slight lead over the 7900 GT, but when oced it does perform very close. But theres always a winner, whether by 2 fps or 8 fps one will beat the other. No card is equal, people have to realize this, If you put two great boxers in the ring there will always be a winner and loser in each round. Imagine the rounds being the games and the cards being the boxers. There can be only one winner in each round.If you think you can go wrong by choosing either one of these cards then someone tell me. Cause in reality you can't. I bought a 7900 GT, my bros getting a 1800XT cause I advised him too, Maybe its cause I like variety. As long as they are in the same league. Also if you put someone behind a pc without telling them its a 7900GT or a 1800XT and it played COD2 without any lags and the game looked great and was playable, do you think they would ask? If it wasnt for numbers would anyone notice a difference between 65 and 75 frames, or 35 and 40. Obviously not. Would anyone notice any frames over 60, most likely not. But these numbers say 80, 90, etc. These numbers are kinda irrelevent sometimes. We have to learn to look at these things form a different standpoint sometimes. When people play the 360 most games run great but who knows the frame rate? 30, 40, 50. i think both these cards will be playable on new and old games and look good. Whether or not they reach 100 fps, or have 10 fps leads or whatnot. Pokemon, lets have fun with our cards. Its like buying a porshe and ferrari. Different yes, slight speed differences, advantages, disadvantages. But when you sit inside either youll love it and wont be dissapointed. :D  Thats kind what im saying with these cards. You understand what I mean right :D 
March 16, 2006 3:22:22 AM

I totally understand and I am sorry again if I sounded like a fanboy. I am actually a very objective person and do change my thoughts on things like I have done in the past many times, sometimes I don't usually because I made a lucky guess :D  . I also agree with the whole numbers thing. If you compare two cards, they better as hell have a large margin of performance gapping. I have yet to order it, I kinda need the AVIVO this time around so I guess that swayed me more than anything. I think it is also educational to test both companies out so you know that it feels like to actually compare. And the 7900GT vs the X1800XT debate has some truth in it. If they are the exact same, its like having a one large company trying to beat its own pricing, and we save money.
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2006 3:23:43 AM

I think when people start giving bad fanboy advice like was done in favor of the 7900GT at the top of this thread, it sets a tone for the posts to follow. It gets people on the offensive and defensive. That's probably why he is picking on you (unless you guys have a history I am unware of). My main concern, and yours too I fully believe, is the OP gets good info.

JR likes to come out hooting and hollering for the 7900GT like the most drastic of fanboys, which doesn't help the OP any at all. Then if someone joins in, the OP might as you said place his order without the facts. But he(JR) does seem to know the facts and has balanced his posts once a real discussion gets underway. I'd like to see that as the first advice given though, then cheer for your card. :wink:

With this release more then ever it seems there is such fanboy advice being given it makes me sick. So I have been jumping in not to bash the wonderful 7900GT, but to get the facts straight. I don't mind people stating there opinions and which they would buy, as long as the OP knows the difference between the fans and the facts.

LOL, I paused to take out the garbage and lock up the house, then without refreshing wrote a book only to discover you both posted since. Now I have to go read those. :oops:  :lol:  you made up, so I guess I can delete this post.
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2006 3:30:26 AM

Quote:
I bought a 7900 GT, my bros getting a 1800XT cause I advised him too

Cool, good for you; you can compare them. Hmm, if you have an SLI mobo, you could have talked him into the same card and "borrowed" his when he wasn't looking. :wink:
March 16, 2006 12:22:23 PM

Both are great cards... and since I'm leaing towards the 7900GT, you should buy the x1800, as to not eliminate the availability of the 7900GT before I have the chance to buy it :wink:

-Ryu
March 16, 2006 5:43:10 PM

I would go with the X1800XT if their were a retail version (by like saphire) for 299$. The only one newegg carries is the OEM version and I dont like buying OEM parts costing over 100$.

If the 7900GT (EVGA 500/1500 299$ one) isnt in stock by the 31st of this month I may just go with the X1800XT.
March 16, 2006 6:16:10 PM

I've been searching for a while now, and I can't seem to find any good posts on OC results on the x1800xt (on air).

I think it'd be interesting to see how well it OC's since the 7900GT is supposed to be so good at overclocking (less heat/power).

Cleeve or any of you more knowledgeable ATI guys, if you can toss up a link or some results, it'd be appreciated!

-Ryu
March 16, 2006 6:35:54 PM

@newegg sapphire x1900xt $439... can't beat that price and performace.

if you can't afford that then get the 7900gt
March 16, 2006 6:52:53 PM

That is a pretty good deal... what's the warranty from Saph. on OEM cards? Same as usual?

-Ryu
March 16, 2006 6:57:28 PM

Powercolor has one at the same price point retail with a lifetime warranty. Stupid Newegg charges me tax here in NJ :cry: 

How hot does that guy get though?

-Ryu
March 16, 2006 7:00:21 PM

Is there a difference in 2D display quality between NVidia and ATI?
March 17, 2006 12:28:27 AM

hehe if you really wanna get either of the cards i would say buy from Asus ;) , i knwo they aren't cheap there but the quality of the card also counts.
a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2006 12:45:03 AM

I'm personally not a big fan of Asus vga, and would definately rather have a His, expecially IceQ.

But I had an Asus GF4ti4200 that was on a Ti4400 pcb. It was a monster of an OC'er and the best ti4200 I ever owned. I still have the yellow beast; what a beauty.
March 17, 2006 1:08:26 AM

Quote:
And I've heard they DID fix the softshadows and AA deal.
Fixed what softshadows problem? If you're referring to F.E.A.R. that's a game problem, not a card problem.
March 21, 2006 12:57:16 PM

Ok, I felt it necessary to dig this up for a few reasons....

It seems newegg.com is out of the 7900GT's AGAIN (they had one but not the eVGA 500/1500 I wanted). It also seems they raised the price AGAIN to 319$. SO they 7900GT is becomming less and less of a deal as each day comes and goes.

Now people say the X1800XT is a better card, yet when I looked at the PCI Express winter 2005 benchmarks the X1800XT (512MB version mind you, people say that ones even better then the 256) is very VERY close to the 7800GT, almost always loses to the 7800GTX and was even beat once or twice by the plain ole 7800GT. What does this say about the 256MB verison????? Why would I want a card that costs more ( I can get an X1800XT 512MB for 349$) then a 7800GT ((and more then a 7900GT)) that performs about on par with the 7800GT ( and less then the 7800GTX//7900GT). Unless those benchmarks are wack, drivers released made a big difference or Im missing something here.
March 21, 2006 1:36:46 PM

I don't care about any of what you just said; I myself would chose an X1800 XT over a 7900GT, but Nvidia did not fix the "softshadows and AA deal" for it was never their fault.
March 21, 2006 2:17:50 PM

What kind of response is that.....

Its been shown in the benchmarks on THG that the X1800XT 512 is only slightly better then the 7800GT and in some cases slightly worse. On average the 7800GTX outperforms the 1800XT 512 and all of the time the 7900GT outperforms the 7800GTX.

If you prefer one card to another thats fine, and if its just personal preference thats also fine... but if the only reason you can give is

"I dont care about anything you just said" then please keep it to yourself..

The topic subject should read " X1800XT 256MB VS 7900GT 256MB.. Which would you get and please provide logical reasoning behind it.

It seems to me the 7900GT (in benchmarks.. I dont care about peoples "feelings" over a card) is better then the X1800XT 512 (and 256 for that matter then). Because this is what I've gathered

7800GT<X1800XT (any memory size)<7800GTX (any memory size??)<7900GT (256MB)
March 21, 2006 6:12:24 PM

Nobody...

Ok well I have another question now..

What are the default clocks for the 7900GT??? Becuase I dont want one of the 4XX/13XX clocked ones if they arnt the "normal" level. I think the eVGA one I wanted was OC'ed just not as far as the highest ones ship retail (its like 500/1500 wheras there are 520/1550 cards shipping).

If the case is that stock is under 500/1500 Ill just get whatevers cheaper and OC it. Still have no reason nor logic to go with the X1800XT 256 for 299$.
a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2006 6:28:54 PM

Quote:
It seems to me the 7900GT (in benchmarks.. I dont care about peoples "feelings" over a card) is better then the X1800XT 512 (and 256 for that matter then). Because this is what I've gathered

7800GT<X1800XT (any memory size)<7800GTX (any memory size??)<7900GT (256MB)

You need to read more than Tom's charts. The cards are close, each winning some games. So there is no clear winner. But more often than not the X1800XT seems to win IMO. In some games it whoops the 7900GT, while being almost as fast in NV favoring OGL games liek D3 and Q4. I have a 7800GT, but personally I'd buy a X1800XT 256MB over a 7900GT only because it is better in the shader intensive games I care about, while being easily available for less money than the vanishing 7900GT. I question COD2 though as in that game the 256MB version may not keep up with the 512MB reviews we have seen.

Here's one review: BF2, COD2, Fear, the 512MB X1800XT easily wins.
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_7900...
March 22, 2006 8:03:50 AM

Quote:

Now people say the X1800XT is a better card, yet when I looked at the PCI Express winter 2005 benchmarks the X1800XT (512MB version mind you, people say that ones even better then the 256) is very VERY close to the 7800GT, almost always loses to the 7800GTX and was even beat once or twice by the plain ole 7800GT. What does this say about the 256MB verison????? Why would I want a card that costs more ( I can get an X1800XT 512MB for 349$) then a 7800GT ((and more then a 7900GT)) that performs about on par with the 7800GT ( and less then the 7800GTX//7900GT). Unless those benchmarks are wack, drivers released made a big difference or Im missing something here.

One reason might be because those benchmarks were made using old drivers? You might want to check some newer benchmarks that were made when the 7900 series came out,
March 22, 2006 9:01:29 AM

7900GT, all the way.
March 22, 2006 11:29:47 PM

Any reason why???

I want to see how well the 7900GT can handel Oblivion.... this game seems to be brining all the new cards to their knees.
!