Wilco A320 PIC I Am Lost

Last response: in Video Games
May 29, 2005 6:04:20 AM

I downloaded the Wilco A320 Pilot in Command and applied FS2004
and then FS 9.1 patches. I am fairly lost.

The first thing that bothers me is the plane doesn't respond to
joystick, normal footpedal commands for rudder or brake, or obey
common FS2004 keyboard commands for many commands.

The second I think I don't like is that Wilco breaks with the
FS2004 tradition, and Shift-1, Shift-2, etc seem to do nothing.

The third thing that bothers me is the documentation never makes
explicit how you are to bring up various controls. So far I
assume you have to zoom in on controls in the 3D panel and then
select them with your mouse. I don't see how anyone could fly
realistically with such a cumbersome interface. The
documentation, while comprehensive, is rather poor in its quality
of writing and explanation for individual controls. Everything
is documented in a kind of shorthand that seems aimed at
experienced Airbus pilots. Never do they make explicit the
actual sequence of mouse clicks that accomplish the settings that
are called out in the checklists.

How should I get started on learning this plane? Is it worth
the effort? Are there better implemented A320s available?

--
Will
Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

More about : wilco a320 pic lost

May 29, 2005 2:37:37 PM

Will, the website indicates "a comprehensive . . . manual." If that was not
included in the download. Have you found and searched through the manual?

ailed descriptions of the aircraft systems and flight instruments.
"Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
> I downloaded the Wilco A320 Pilot in Command and applied FS2004
> and then FS 9.1 patches. I am fairly lost.
>
> The first thing that bothers me is the plane doesn't respond to
> joystick, normal footpedal commands for rudder or brake, or obey
> common FS2004 keyboard commands for many commands.
>
> The second I think I don't like is that Wilco breaks with the
> FS2004 tradition, and Shift-1, Shift-2, etc seem to do nothing.
>
> The third thing that bothers me is the documentation never makes
> explicit how you are to bring up various controls. So far I
> assume you have to zoom in on controls in the 3D panel and then
> select them with your mouse. I don't see how anyone could fly
> realistically with such a cumbersome interface. The
> documentation, while comprehensive, is rather poor in its quality
> of writing and explanation for individual controls. Everything
> is documented in a kind of shorthand that seems aimed at
> experienced Airbus pilots. Never do they make explicit the
> actual sequence of mouse clicks that accomplish the settings that
> are called out in the checklists.
>
> How should I get started on learning this plane? Is it worth
> the effort? Are there better implemented A320s available?
>
> --
> Will
> Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 2:37:38 PM

I found seven PDF files. As I said in my post "The
documentation, while comprehensive, is rather poor in its quality
of writing and explanation for individual controls." So, yes, I
agreed from the start that there is a lot of documentation and it
is comprehensive.

Here are typical examples of why I think the "comprehensive"
documentation is poor:

- In the massive Cockpit Guide, you get page after page that
shows you a picture of an electronic gauge followed by a
description of the components of the gauge. The questions they
never answer are:

1) What is the gauge, and why do I care about it?

2) How do I find the gauge?

3) How do I activate the different controls that in turn
influence readouts on the gauge?

All of those very basic questions are never addressed, and you
go on page after page after page for hundreds of pages with lots
of pictures, no explanations of context needed to use the
information they are sharing.

- In the manual devoted to the Flight Management and Guidance
Computer (FMGC) they never once tell you how to bring up the
FMGC!!! Is that lovely or what? On any other FS2004 aircraft
that would never throw me because I would simply invoke all
possible shift+1 through shift +0 keys to orient myself to key
gauges and controls. None of those keystrokes work on this
airplane, so you need the documentation to be explicit about such
obvious things. As you find out later they use huge numbers of
keystrokes, and they very conveniently decided to use every
imaginable combination except the standard ones!!

- In the "Take Control" manual you get lots and lots of
checklists, but no explanation of where to access those controls
(I guess that should have been in the Cockpit Guide but it was
not.)

I finally found a small guide that does give you the control
sequences for different gauges and controls. At very least they
could have referenced this guide in the other documentation.

Other things that are driving me crazy: the flying commands for
the keyboard are disable. The joystick is partially disabled.
The rudder pedals are disabled. My GoFlight control panel
doesn't work.

It really feels like their design goal was to not work with
anything the FS2004 pilot knows. They have deliberately broken
every point of reference that a pilot learning a new FS2004
aircraft might have. I'm sure it will be fine once I invest 20
hours into re-learning everything I already knew just so I can do
things their way. But that approach doesn't improve the
quality of the airplane, and it certainly doesn't get them a good
grade from me.

--
Will
Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

"DANNY" <drmckee@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Will, the website indicates "a comprehensive . . . manual." If
that was not
> included in the download. Have you found and searched through
the manual?
Related resources
May 29, 2005 5:30:39 PM

I guess good programmers don't make for good manual writers. Wish I had an
answer. I, too, am more of a . . "keyboard shortcut" kinda guy. I don't
like to click on the instruments on the VC panel if I can pop up a window
with larger numerals & controls.
Danny

> [...]
> doesn't work.
>
> It really feels like their design goal was to not work with
> anything the FS2004 pilot knows. They have deliberately broken
> every point of reference that a pilot learning a new FS2004
> aircraft might have. I'm sure it will be fine once I invest 20
> hours into re-learning everything I already knew just so I can do
> things their way. But that approach doesn't improve the
> quality of the airplane, and it certainly doesn't get them a good
> grade from me.
>
> --
> Will
> Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com
>

> "DANNY" <drmckee@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> > Will, the website indicates "a comprehensive . . . manual." If
> that was not
> > included in the download. Have you found and searched through

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 5:30:40 PM

Regarding programmers writing manuals, I think it depends on the
programmer. Look at those two guys from Real Flight. Not only
are their airplanes some of the finest ever done for FS2004, but
their manuals are written in language so clear that anyone could
read them. They are excellent at understanding what the key
concepts are and focusing on those things. Their Marchetti
2005 is one of my favorite aircraft now. Pity it doesn't seat
eight and have a decent range or I'd want one in real life.

As for A320, now It gets worse. I just tried the keyboard
shortcuts and they aren't working.

Does anyone else make a good Airbus, any model? I'm not seeing
light at the end of the tunnel on this one.

--
Will
Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

> I guess good programmers don't make for good manual writers.
Wish I had an
> answer. I, too, am more of a . . "keyboard shortcut" kinda
guy. I don't
> like to click on the instruments on the VC panel if I can pop
up a window
> with larger numerals & controls.
> Danny
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 1:48:25 AM

Will wrote:
> Regarding programmers writing manuals, I think it depends on the
> programmer. Look at those two guys from Real Flight. Not only
> are their airplanes some of the finest ever done for FS2004, but
> their manuals are written in language so clear that anyone could
> read them.

The best manual I ever read when I used to do reviews, was written by the
wife of the programmer. She was almost computer illiterate. THAT'S the kind
of manual writer you need.

Cheers

Quilljar
see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi
Do not reply personally, all such emails go into my spam filter
May 30, 2005 2:12:48 AM

Totally agree about Real Flight aircraft - fabulous!

Wilco's A320 is at the opposite end of the payware quality curve.

Having hardware better the minumum standard , I bought a copy just as soon
as it was published.
It was totally unusable with frame rates in single figures ie 1 or 2
sometimes as much as 9.
I felt I was ripped off!

Last month I bought a new computer (Pentium 4 3.2 ghz 64 bit processing with
PCI Express technology, good video card and 1ghz Ram etc etc ) which runs
FS2004 add-ons like a dream.
I thought I'd give the A320 another try out and although frame rates are
finally acceptable , the quality of the vurtual cockpit just isn't good
enough.

Give it a miss and spend time with Level D's 767!
!