Digital copier good for print shop?

What kind of a machine would I need if I wanted to open a small one-man
printshop? I was thinking of an off-lease digital color copier from ebay that
can handle 11x17, duplex and print/scan/copy freatures.

"Cejamps" <cejamps@wmconnect.com> wrote in message
> What kind of a machine would I need if I wanted to open a small one-man
> printshop? I was thinking of an off-lease digital color copier from ebay
> that
> can handle 11x17, duplex and print/scan/copy freatures.

This would depend upon what business market and what type of printing are
you planning to offer? What other kinds of equipment are you planning to
use? There's much more to a small printshop than just a copier. Having owned
three printshops you can rest assured that I speak from experience. If you
go to the right sources and purchase wisely, you can open a fairly well
equipped shop for a relatively modest amount. However the most important
aspect of opening a small shop would be your personal level of experience
and expertise in printing. You have to be able to produce a quality product.
--
Ron Cohen

>This would depend upon what business market and what type of printing are
>you planning to offer? What other kinds of equipment are you planning to
>use? There's much more to a small printshop than just a copier. Having owned
>three printshops you can rest assured that I speak from experience. If you
>go to the right sources and purchase wisely, you can open a fairly well
>equipped shop for a relatively modest amount. However the most important
>aspect of opening a small shop would be your personal level of experience
>and expertise in printing. You have to be able to produce a quality product.
>--
>Ron Cohen

Hi Ron,

Thank you for the reply. I am really looking to do brochures, newsletters and
invations. I figure I could do it with a color digital copier. I know that
limits me on booklets, posters, etc but I want to start small.

What do you think?
Chaya Jampolsky

I was doing brochures and newsletters on my computer at home and used a
textronix 550 to print them. Basically I did it as favors but people seemed to
be happy with my work. I am just looking to do invitations, brochures and
newsletters, maybe some typing as well. I know that will rule out booklets and
posters, but I am on a very low budget. Do printshops use a multifunction
digital copier for their publications or do they use a high end imagesetter?
Would I be able to make do with a digital copier?