m270n Power Supply Upgrade

brettski6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card to a 6800gs AGP and I need a new power supply. I've done some research and found that I most likely currently have a 200 Watt ATX Power Supply with dimensions 6.00" Wide X 3.25" Tall X 4" Deep.

This is a problem as the largest 4" Deep power supply I have seen is only 300 watts. The graphics card I'm looking at requires 350 watts of power so I have a dilemma.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks

brettski6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Thanks for answering. I bought my computer from Best Buy in 2003 and the model number is HP-A2027F3. I found a power supply that is 320 watts:
http://www.directron.com/directron/mps3atx20.html

The dimensions are 5.75" W x 4" D x 3.25" H which should fit, but are a little small. This should work but I'm a little concerned about the cables.
Most 6800 GS's seem to require a 4-pin Molex hard drive power dongle as well which I don't think should be a problem as I think I can just get a splitter.

Thanks for you responses.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
From directron's description, it looks like it has some proprietary connector:
"It includes a 12V connector for Pentium 4 support and the propriatory HP 4 Pin P8 Video Connector." Whatever that is...
Usually the P8 is a 6 pin plugin that powers the motherboard, but 2 of the pins are ground, so maybe thats where its a 4-pin?? bleah.

Also it says its a microATX PSU. But I think the snag you might hit is that proprietary connector. Video connector sounds a little important... :(

My advice would be to try to find that proprietary connector and take a picture of it and post it so we can see what we're dealing with. Maybe theres some adapter somewhere.. Might be a good idea to take shots of the whole PSU while you're at it.

brettski6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Thanks for the help guys.

I looked around a bit and I found a power supply that is pretty similar to my current one.
http://www.affordablesurplus.com/hipro-hp-a2027f3-power-supply.asp#Connectors

It also shows that propriatory HP 4 Pin P8 Video Connector. That site also shows a 4 Pin Peripheral and a 4 Pin HP Video Power connector. Do you think one of those may be similar or is the 4-pin Molex hard drive power dongle mentioned above and needed for the card?

Also I think my current PSU is a micro ATX.

Anyway, thanks for your guy's help

crazy032

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
Only from looking at the pic on that link you posted, it seems that the video connector is just another HD power cable, so a splitter would probably work. Also, On my X800 that's all it is...a HD power cable. Hope this helps you. Good luck.

brettski6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Looks like this one might work:
http://www.directron.com/directron/m6400.html

Its got these Power connectors: 1 20+4pin main power connector, 3 IDE connectors, 1 floppy connector, 1 P4 +12V connector, 1 SATA power connector, 1 HPVideo Power connector

Its also got I believe 18 amps on the DC voltage rail:
DC Output: +3.3V: 28A; +5V: 40A; +12V: 18A; -12V: 1.0A; -5V: 0.5A; +5V-SB: 2.0A

Am I correct in that should be ok?

Thanks again everybody

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I'd compare what kind of plug you have now that is labeled the 4-pin P8 connector and make sure that is what is shown in the picture for that PSU.

As I look at it via process of elimination, that beige connector in the middle of the pic is what is the P8 connector. Other than that 400W for a microATX should be plenty...

If the P8 is another molex-4-pin type connector, then I'd advise you to check the voltages of the P8 against a regular molex connector - make sure the pinout is the same, otherwise bad things might happen.