It seems finally the whole computer industry is getting back on track, turning away from hot products to more efficent products that are faster, cheaper and colder, more promising atlast.

Pentium 4 went from a warm processor (wilamette to northwood with 89w max) to an oven (prescott onward with 130w and gaining an extra core or 400mhz max) without any major performance gain (actually slower then a northwood clock for clock) and is finally getting back to efficent with conroe, on the other hand how would things turn out if prescott got colder and more efficnet (4ghz with say 70w rather then 130+w) leading the way through 5ghz? Did AMD just strike it lucky since there 90nm is nearing the end with over half a year remaining?

AMD went from the AthlonXP with its overheating issue (mainly cause of no thermal protection and heatsink designs) to the Athlon64 which solved every K7 issue and added performance but is now at the limit (110w) until the introduction of AM2 dropping heat and power to better levels unlil 65nm comes in next year, but atleast there 115w is explainable (performance per watt etc) unlike prescotts hot and slow aproach, but soon conroe will make it look like a prescott - we now have movement and about time.

On the Video card side Nvidia copped the same issues with there FX5800 blowing out heat and performing worse then ATis matching model, but is now on track from the 6 and 7 series (valit heat for performance) and especially with the 7900 adding more performance and less heat aswell as being cheaper (less sillicon etc).

Now all we have to do on the CPU front is wait for conroe to force AMD to lower prices while its ahead to get some real bargains and thats what i and most of you like, AMD has had the best run so far i believe but as it did to Intel, its leapfrog time for Intel with Conroe.

What we all realise is AMD "might have something ready to take on conroe" but it works both ways - Intel might also have something ready for that already - they do have 45nm samples working already, but dont get me wrong AMD might alter the design and do everything at once with 65nm - theres a decent amount of time to develop a cpu between now and then.

We shall see what happens in 4 months, and then next year with 65nm AMDs.

As for AMD and Intel fanboys (or ATi and Nvidia) - your companys suck!!!!! LOL, your there slaves, your suckers! - dont buy a grossly overpriced cpu because its x brand, your an Idiot if you do - buy what best suits your needs at the time and availability - eg why buy a hot Intel for the same price as a colder AMD, and as for Conroe coming out, even if it beats AMDs top models AMD will lower prices and make a top buy, Intel will take a long time to lower prices especially to match AMDs prices so AMD will have a better bang for the buck!!!

Yeah that seems long enough

My two cents

knightrous

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Probably the best post I've seen from you yet Apache :wink:

It is looking like the industry is finally getting some sanity back. It's kinda like looking at the car industry, the cars all use to be big and powerful V8's a few years back, now they have shifted to sporty and well tuned 4 Cylinder turbos which are better then the V8's and more effecient.

Hooray for advancement in technolgies and not advancement in thermal envelopes :p

butitoy

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
yeah .. fanboyism sucks.. what do they get anyways?

out of flaming and bragging?
in the real world, your requirements againts ur pc performance counts..not the brand of any s***!

that is.

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Good post... If only people in general had more sense...

I bought an AMD chip because Intel didn't have better options in terms of bang for the buck and temperature! So now with their Conroe chip, i'm just interested to see what AMD serves up, so hopefully, we see a nice huge competition between the companies, and get a nice price drop on processors so we can all have better price/performance CPUs...

Good post... If only people in general had more sense...

I bought an AMD chip because Intel didn't have better options in terms of bang for the buck and temperature! So now with their Conroe chip, i'm just interested to see what AMD serves up, so hopefully, we see a nice huge competition between the companies, and get a nice price drop on processors so we can all have better price/performance CPUs...

yeah i got my P4c with the same idea - AMD was slower at the time (XP series), Conroe will surly be quicker, but what price will AMD drop too - enought to make them really interesting?

mig1619

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
This is the best post I have read about the Conroe vs. AMD bs. I hope the fanboys from both side read this and start thinking and stop the madness in this Forum. Thanks to CONROE and AM2 we will have better deals in existing technology and that is what we should care about bang for the buck.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Probably the best post I've seen from you yet Apache :wink:

It is looking like the industry is finally getting some sanity back. It's kinda like looking at the car industry, the cars all use to be big and powerful V8's a few years back, now they have shifted to sporty and well tuned 4 Cylinder turbos which are better then the V8's and more effecient.

Hooray for advancement in technolgies and not advancement in thermal envelopes :p

No, they're not better, and barely more efficient. The pinacle was probably reached in the middle with American Turbocharged V6's

You did know that people racing Buick Grand Nationals get around 1200HP from the American "tuner engine", no?

I had a 1970 Cutlass with one of those "inferior V8's" you were speaking of, I pulled two 5200lb vehicles out of a swamp with it. The engine went 240k miles before I retired it, still running but loosing power. Oh, it got 18MPG in a 2-ton car on the highway, and this was WAY before the advent of fuel injection.

Apache_Lives, and Apache_Makes_Perfect_Sense.

Things are about to get really interesting very quickly. It's going to be the ghz race all over again, but instead of going for top frequency, the compaines are going for top performance, lowest power consumption, lowest price, etc. . .

Bottom line, we win.

Apache makes a great point. If Conroe truly beats AMD silly AMD may respond by slashing prices, making my upgrade to the FX-60 much less costly!

TRENDING THREADS