**Computer NOT Working!! :( **

this is my first DIY, and i just finished putting together my PC. i plug it in and it doesnt work...how do i find out whats wrong with it? how do i go about tracing the problem?

thanks!

d.suzuki
49 answers Last reply
More about computer working
  1. A couple of questions first!
    Is the switch on the power supply turned on?
    Did you have to change the clear cmos jumper on the motherboard?

More questions later!
  2. ::A couple of questions first!
    SURE! :D

::Is the switch on the power supply turned on?
    yes, the power supply is on, i double checked to make sure.

::Did you have to change the clear cmos jumper on the motherboard?
    i dont know what a cmos jumper is, so no...

thanks!!!

d.suzuki
  3. On the back of the powersupply (not all units) have a switch on the back. Is it turned on?

If pushed to O - Off
    If pushed to | - On

Other things that may help other people here to help give troubleshooting advise:

What systemboard, and CPU are you using?
    What powersupply are you installing?
    Is your AC outlet 115V(US) or 220V(EU)?

Heh, there might be other questions to be asked.
  4. ::On the back of the powersupply (not all units) have a switch on the back. Is it turned on?
    yes.

::What systemboard, and CPU are you using?
    -ASUS P4P800SE ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail: $90.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131484

-Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478 Processor - Retail: $195.00
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116171

::What powersupply are you installing?
    -Ultra X2 550-Watt Power Supply:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1902625&Sku=TC3J-2082

::Is your AC outlet 115V(US) or 220V(EU)?
    i live in the US and its set at 115V

::Heh, there might be other questions to be asked.
    go for it, im praying that i didnt waste my $$$

thanks!!!

d.suzuki
  5. I suppose you have the 20 pin snapped on securely.

Do you have the 4 pin square/power connected, near the CPU socket?

If all power connections are on properly..

The worst thing that could happen, is that you've been shipped a bad PSU. It has happened to me. I put a system together, hit the power switch and... rechecked all connections and... heh nada.

Took the system back, gave me another PSU, fired up.
  6. ok, ive checked the comp agian.
    i did infact (giggle) have the 20 pin unplugged, but it still didnt work.
    so, furiously i nuged and wiggled the power cord and turned the power supply back on. my eyes poped out, the mobo's power LED went on. woo hoo!~ my first comp worked :D

THANKS!!!

but unfortunatly, i have one more question...
    i plugged in an old pci video card, and i cant see anything on the screen. am i suppose to have the AGP card, or it doesnt matter?

thanks!!

d.suzuki
  7. nope, still not working:(
    im going to see if i can take out a video card from one of my computers, and install that one to see what happens.

d.suzuki
  8. i added 2 different video cards and they both still doesnt work.
    ive added one from my old PC (AGP) and ive added one from my Mac (AGP). the video card that i was using on my first installation was a PCI.

is there a PCI/AGP power plug or something on the MOBO?

thanks,

d.suzuki.
  9. Ummm... be sure not to stick a AGP card that is 3.3v to that interface. If you do, you will fry it, since it's a 1.5v AGP interface.

Though, it shouldn't fit if it was. What is the video card that you are intending to use?

I guess the other question is.. when it was powered on, with the 1st card you had in it... was it beeping?

And if it was beeping, how many times did it beep, in the interval.

Example: 8 beeps..

beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, pause...

Edit: Doh.. don't tell me that board doesn't have an intergrated speaker.. :roll:

Do you have the PC speaker hooked up? Does the case/tower provide one?

Also Asus does have a voice to tell problems in place of the PC speaker. So you need reg speakers hooked up to the onboard sound card jack.
  10. to get this going you should take a moment and list everything you have installed in the computer.

If you intend to use a pci video card it should work but I think you will need to set it correctly in the BIOS.

I would try with the AGP card you have first to check that it's booting and what not.

Also list your memory and what other cards you have installed, processor the whole bit.
  11. Do you need to plug your video card directly to your PSU? On the back of it there should be a power plug.
  12. Couple things to keep in mind as your swapping parts around -- whenever you add or remove something from your PC (or other peoples) make sure the power cord between the power supply and the wall is UNplugged.
  13. Errr.. if you unplug the PC from the outlet, you basically have no ground anymore.

That is one of the purposes for the off/on swich on the back of the PSU.

At least, that is what I thought.
  14. so long as you mantain contact with the computer (elecrostatic wrist band or hand or arm touching the case) you'll be fine. by doing that your electically neutral to the computer and there can be no static discharges regardless if the machine is plugged in or not. so i always unplug the computer i'm working on and would suggest you do the same. i'm not will to trust $1000+ dollars to 0.25 cent switch :)
  15. Ok, when you plugged in the 20 pin cable from the power supply you got some lights and activity, but No post. I saw where one person asked if you had the square 4 pin from the power supply plugged into the mother board, I never saw any responce from you!
    Is it plugged in also?
  16. ::I guess the other question is.. when it was powered on, with the 1st card you had in it... was it beeping?
    no, the case didnt come with any speakers so, i didnt have any speakers plugged in. I guess thats the reason why i didnt get any beeps.

::Also Asus does have a voice to tell problems in place of the PC speaker. So you need reg speakers hooked up to the onboard sound card jack.
    as in theres an automated voice that comes on and tells you what the problems are? thats fuckin hot! :D

d.suzuki
  17. ::to get this going you should take a moment and list everything you have installed in the computer.
    ok, i will as soon as i get home.
  18. ::Do you need to plug your video card directly to your PSU? On the back of it there should be a power plug.

I goto check that up.

d.suzuki
  19. ::Ok, when you plugged in the 20 pin cable from the power supply you got some lights and activity, but No post. I saw where one person asked if you had the square 4 pin from the power supply plugged into the mother board, I never saw any responce from you!
    Is it plugged in also?

yes, the 4 pin is plugged in. ive checked my power supply but, im still an amateur to know what exactly i should be looking at.

d.suzuki
  20. Is your CPU fan connected to the CPU fan connector? Is it properly installed? Did it have thermal compound on it?

Did you plug in your monitor before turning on the PC?
    Is at least a keyboard hooked up? Triple check connection even I make simple mistakes :-P
  21. The 4 pin square plug has yellow and black wires. 12V to power the CPU, if I remember correctly.

If you could get/find some speakers to hook up to the soundcard, you might be able to figure out other problems going on.

Might want to reseat the RAM dimms. Be sure they are seated properly.

I hope you seated the CPU/HSF correctly with thermal grease/compound.

Actually, did a company put those parts on for you, or did you put them on yourself?
  22. Some more about the power supply;

Does your power supply have a voltage switch, you know, 220 or 115 volts?

And check your manual for the Clear CMOS pins please, to be sure they are jumped correctly.
  23. Quote:
    this is my first DIY, and i just finished putting together my PC. i plug it in and it doesnt work...how do i find out whats wrong with it? how do i go about tracing the problem?

thanks!

d.suzuki

Have you plugged in the Power-Switch to the right pins on the motherboard?
  24. ::Is your CPU fan connected to the CPU fan connector?
    yes.

::Is it properly installed? Did it have thermal compound on it?
    yes, and no but ive pasted the thermal compod on it.

::Did you plug in your monitor before turning on the PC?
    yes.

::Is at least a keyboard hooked up?
    yes.

::Triple check connection even I make simple mistakes
    hehehe. will do!
  25. ::If you could get/find some speakers to hook up to the soundcard, you might be able to figure out other problems going on.
    i have a pair, ill set them up when i wake up later today:D

::Might want to reseat the RAM dimms. Be sure they are seated properly.
    k, ill make a note of that. im sure they are seated properly because they locked in and i wiggled it a little to make sure it was in place.

::I hope you seated the CPU/HSF correctly with thermal grease/compound.
    yes.

::Actually, did a company put those parts on for you, or did you put them on yourself?
    i put this thing together. last time i had monarch computers put it together and i got it all kinds of messed up. Bios setting was wrong, surge ran throgh my comp destroying my HD, software bugs, etc. so ive decided to build my own comp and ive also wanted to learn a new hobby.

Thanks!

d.suzuki
  26. ::Does your power supply have a voltage switch, you know, 220 or 115 volts?
    yes, and ive setted it to 115 from the time of installment of the PSU.

::And check your manual for the Clear CMOS pins please, to be sure they are jumped correctly
    k, ill jump on that when i wake up.

thanks!

d.suzuki
  27. ok, here's a roster of what i got for the comp:

-Ultra Blue Aluminus ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, Front USB, Firewire and Audio Ports With Ultra X2 550-Watt Power Supply: $174.99
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1902625&Sku=TC3J-2082

-ASUS P4P800SE ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail: $90.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131484

-Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478 Processor - Retail: $195.00
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116171

-ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan with Copper Heatsink - Retail: $49.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118115

-Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM: $5.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835100007

-CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail: $68.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145440

-Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM: $53.00 (x2)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822135106

-NEC Beige IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3550A - OEM: $38.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152059

-SAMSUNG Beige Internal Floppy Drive Model SFD321B/LEB - OEM: $7.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16821103202

++++++++++++++++++++Not Installed Yet++++++++++++++++++++

-LINKSYS RV0041 10/100/1000Mbps 4-Port VPN Router: $257.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124182

-Ultra 10 Outlet Surge Suppressor with Modem & Fax Protection - 2 Pack: $19.99
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1213255&Tab=1&NoMapp=0
  28. Did pretty good on pricing.

Only thing you could have saved 15 bucks on, was to buy the OEM P4 3.0E Prescott. That way you would have got just the processor. But I guess the stock HS would make a good 15 dollar paper weight. :D

Your basically getting the same Zalman HSF that I want to get, if I ever get around getting another CPU.

So I guess the 2 things to try:

Speakers for the soundcard jack to see if you hear bios voice. (actually I have mine turned off, since it did scare the crap out of me, volume was set too loud, and I control the volume in windows. :lol:)

And clearing CMOS to get some screen POST MSG going.

Though, still don't know what video card your using. Are you a gamer - media encoder - cad - mix?

I would recommend x800/x850 or 6800GS AGP since it is a mid range rig.
  29. ok no sound card, no video card?

leave the sound card and any other unnecessary card out till after you install windows.

Can you get the machine to post? Does it at least beep?

The PSU looks like a POS, don't skimp here.... you'll regret it. I'd recommend an Antec.
  30. i dont know if anybody said this already but did you try using the onboard video instead of one of the video cards?

that way you might be able to get into the bios and set it up right.

and when you turn on the computer do all the fans/lights turn on or does just the power turn on and idle?
  31. ::Did pretty good on pricing.
    thanks, im on a buget being a student and all:P

::Only thing you could have saved 15 bucks on, was to buy the OEM P4 3.0E Prescott. That way you would have got just the processor. But I guess the stock HS would make a good 15 dollar paper weight. Very Happy
    hahaha!

::Your basically getting the same Zalman HSF that I want to get, if I ever get around getting another CPU.
    this thing is friggen huge!

::Speakers for the soundcard jack to see if you hear bios voice. (actually I have mine turned off, since it did scare the crap out of me, volume was set too loud, and I control the volume in windows. Laughing)
    hahahaha

::And clearing CMOS to get some screen POST MSG going.
    looking it up right now.

::Though, still don't know what video card your using. Are you a gamer - media encoder - cad - mix?
    i am going to be using one of my 2 vid cards. the one that came with the apple G4, or the one that im using righ now on my vaio. they are both AGP. the one for the G4 has VGA and Digital and im using the digital so i can use the G4s flat screen.
    I am a musician, my main goal was to have my DAW (digital audio workstation) networked with my internet computer (the one im using now) so that way i can use the internet on both computers and send files. since the internet computer failed on me (crashes, slow, old, HD breaks, external HD breaks) several times, i decided to get a new comp but for cheap. And so i started making this computer (topic), which will be mainly for internet use but powerful enough for me to lay down some tracks if i get some inspiration.

::I would recommend x800/x850 or 6800GS AGP since it is a mid range rig.
    im going broke:(
  32. ::ok no sound card, no video card?
    theres an onboard output for sound on the mobo.

::leave the sound card and any other unnecessary card out till after you install windows.
    dont i need to get into bios first or something? in anycase wouldnt that require me to use the screen?

::Can you get the machine to post? Does it at least beep?
    gonna get it to post in a lil bit:D

::The PSU looks like a POS, don't skimp here.... you'll regret it. I'd recommend an Antec.
    sorry, whats a POS?
    thanks, but right now, the less money i spend the better.
  33. ::i dont know if anybody said this already but did you try using the onboard video instead of one of the video cards?
    yea, but there arent any onboard video on my mobo, just audio.

::and when you turn on the computer do all the fans/lights turn on or does just the power turn on and idle?
    hmm, im not quit sure what you mean by this.
    when i turn on the computer the power led goes on the HDD led goes on. the mother boards light goes on when i turn on the PSU. the heat sink fan is spinnig and my HD and DVD rom works.
  34. ok,

step one:

- ive plugged the speakers on and i dont get any sound.
    - ive plugged my keyboard in and ive noticed that my caps locks or my num lock key doesnt light up.
    - i still dont see anything on the screen.
    - ive jumped the CMOS to the right position
    - i repositioned my ram
    - i changed my video card to the pci one, still no luck

still nothing, i dont get any beeps or voices. i dont see anything comming up on the screen:(

d.suzuki

ps.
    if it helps, i can take pictures or movies to show you guys whats going on...
  35. Hmm I'd check the jumper setting for the CPU sound like the same problem my buddy had. the jumper setting are in the mobo manual.
  36. lets just start here your case should have come with a TINY speaker that speaker you need TO ENSHURE it is pluged in properly refer to the manual on how to insert properly now i want you to take the WHOLLE thing apart and start from scratch i have this tutorial to show you STEP by STEP with pictures on how to assemble a modern machine. its for a AMD system but the P4 proc install should be verry close make shure you pull out EVERYTHING deinstall the MOBO i mean EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! place everything back into the static bag and inspect each part for black spots or "Fried" even some one with no computer know how if told to just look, they could spot burn markings on it after inspection return all the items to the static bags/ boxes and then start here Tutorial
    Good luck
  37. ::Hmm I'd check the jumper setting for the CPU sound like the same problem my buddy had. the jumper setting are in the mobo manual.

yep checked all the jumpers. i even switched the SMBus 2.0, i dont know what that is, but it did say stuff about compatable PCI, so i did it and that still doesnt work.

thanks!

d.suzuki
  38. Hmmm.. looks like the POST Speech feature only discribles IDE problems. So it will not give any other clues in detail to other problems like the system beeps would on a chart. I perfer having this speech feature off, since it just drives me nuts. :lol:

I turned on my POST Speech feature, unplugged my AGP, and hear the speech say... No IDE hard drives detected (I'm on SATA) POST test complete - now booting into Operating System. :roll:

So I was standing there with my agp card in my hand... waiting for the hard drive light to stop blinking. Then proceed to hit the power button to shut down. What I find funny is that I don't have intergrated video. I could have sworn it was set to halt on all errors. Owell. :roll:

So, ya, you may need to get that PC speaker hooked up an listen to the beeps, if you can.
  39. ::lets just start here your case should have come with a TINY speaker that speaker you need TO ENSHURE it is pluged in properly refer to the manual on how to insert properly now i want you to take the WHOLLE thing apart and start from scratch i have this tutorial to show you STEP by STEP with pictures on how to assemble a modern machine. its for a AMD system but the P4 proc install should be verry close make shure you pull out EVERYTHING deinstall the MOBO i mean EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! place everything back into the static bag and inspect each part for black spots or "Fried" even some one with no computer know how if told to just look, they could spot burn markings on it after inspection return all the items to the static bags/ boxes and then start here Tutorial
    Good luck

thanks! it was really cool, reading that tutorial!
    ive disassembled everything and started all over, but unfortunatly im still not getting anything on the screen. just blank.

d.suzuki
  40. ::Hmmm.. looks like the POST Speech feature only discribles IDE problems. So it will not give any other clues in detail to other problems like the system beeps would on a chart. I perfer having this speech feature off, since it just drives me nuts. Laughing

I turned on my POST Speech feature, unplugged my AGP, and hear the speech say... No IDE hard drives detected (I'm on SATA) POST test complete - now booting into Operating System. Rolling Eyes

So I was standing there with my agp card in my hand... waiting for the hard drive light to stop blinking. Then proceed to hit the power button to shut down. What I find funny is that I don't have intergrated video. I could have sworn it was set to halt on all errors. Owell. Rolling Eyes

So, ya, you may need to get that PC speaker hooked up an listen to the beeps, if you can.

nope still nothing coming out from the speakers or the motherboard or case. :(

d.suzuki
  41. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try to make it beep.

Take the RAM dimms out, any cards.. Leave CPU in.

If it does beep take note on how many beeps..
    then put only one RAM dimm in and see if you get a different amount of beeps.
  42. yep. it beeps
    one long beep then 2 short beeps

dice.
  43. also, just for note because i was asked this question from a guy at ASUS.

make sure your Mother Board is grounded properly. meaning if they came with small cardboard spacers, than that can save you. let me give you word for word:

"If your system doesn't send a signal to the monitor when it's powered on, there are several potential causes. Your problem could lie within the motherboard itself, or with a component installed on the board. It could even be caused by grounding or EMI. Please follow these steps to troubleshoot:

GROUNDING/EMI TROUBLESHOOTING

Check that the MB is not picking up EMI (Electromagn! etic Interference), or improperly grounding against the case. Please remove the MB from the case and set it up DIRECTLY on the cardboard box it came in or some other non-static, non-conductive surface, like a telephone book. Install the power supply, processor (with heat sink and fan), memory and video card. If the motherboard has the vocal POST feature activated, plug speakers into the onboard audio jacks. If the board doesn't have this feature, or if it's deactivated, make sure to install a case speaker on the board.

If the system POSTs then your problem is caused by grounding. You will need to electrically isolate the MB from the case to correct it. To do this, you will need to use electrical tape to cover the brass stand-offs that support the MB, and insert paper washers between the heads of the mounting screws and the MB. The red paper washers should be included with your case hardware, or they can be purchased at Radio Shack or a computer store.
    Mak! e sure that no stand-offs are placed in a spot where the motherboard i sn't designed to be grounded, as some cases will have different standoff locations to accommodate different styles of motherboards. Also check that there are no other metal objects that could contact the motherboard or any other electrical device attached to the system, such as a metal burr, loose screw, metal rod, or any other object that could cause a short."

- by Daniel, Asus Support Team

just giveing you guys a heads up:D

d.suzuki
  44. Looks like Asus is helping you TS that outside the case, which is understandable. Just be careful not to place it on surfaces as they discribed, and have plenty of room to work with. Cardboard should work fine.

Try to purchase an anti-static bracelet from CompUSA or somewhere. Perhaps your PC case came with one?

Also, don't put it on an anti-static bag. The bag protects electronics on the inside.. but on the outside of the bag.. it can produce static.

Good Luck on that.
  45. no luck, still the same thing.
    with the memory out i still get the 1 long beep and 2 short beeps.
    i think im just going to RMA the mother board back to NEWEGG.COM and see what happens from there. if the mother board doesnt work again, than there must be something going on wrong with the other hardware.

d.suzuki
  46. Chances are, I still think the MB is okay.

1 long 2 short beeps do indicate Video problem.

Those video cards you have, may not work for that MB, even for that reg 32bit PCI card.

Try to exhaust other options, before sending it in for RMA.

Do you have a friend that could help lend you a X8 AGP card for testing?

I know you have a MAC AGP card, but I would never even stick that card in the port, since it is MAC. I'd be very careful about that, since it could be a 3.3 volt card, and that board might detect that to prevent damage... LOL if did it fit, which it shouldn't have.

Quote:
    Compatibility

AGP cards are backwards and forwards compatible within limits. 1.5 V cards will not go into 3.3 V slots and vice versa, though "Universal" slots exist which accept either type of card. AGP Pro cards (rarely used) will not fit into standard slots, but standard AGP cards will work in a Pro slot.

It should be noted that there are some proprietary exceptions to this rule. For example, Apple Power Macintosh computers with the Apple Display Connector have an extra connector which delivers power to the attached display. Additionally, moving cards between computers of various architectures may not work due to firmware issues.

Just shop around, you can find deals under 100 bucks since you don't want or need highend gaming one.

Something like this.. should work on it:

Sapphire Radeon 9800SE

Also, just saying try to be sure.. would hate to see ya send the board back and have the same problem all over again.
  47. no, i dont have any friends that have an X8 AGP card.
    yea, actually its from a Mac G4 sawtooth! :D

i have one more video card that i havent tested. its my HIS Excalibur 7000 Radeon Series:

http://www.hisdigital.com/html/product_ov.php?id=62&view=yes

its an 4X AGP card and im still getting the same problems, i dont get anything on the screen:(

d.suzuki

PS
    im on "Stand By" with the Sapphire Radeon 9800SE, i can get it.
  48. Quote:
    no, i dont have any friends that have an X8 AGP card.
    yea, actually its from a Mac G4 sawtooth! :D

i have one more video card that i havent tested. its my HIS Excalibur 7000 Radeon Series:

http://www.hisdigital.com/html/product_ov.php?id=62&view=yes

its an 4X AGP card and im still getting the same problems, i dont get anything on the screen:(

d.suzuki

PS
    im on "Stand By" with the Sapphire Radeon 9800SE, i can get it.

So.. that G4 Sawtooth had a ATI Pro?

Quote:
    Video: ATI Rage 128 Pro in AGP 2X slot (was Rage 128 prior to December 1999); supports resolutions to 1600x1200 with 32-bit support, VGA connector, and digital video output for Cinema Display.

This kinda bothers me.. heh:

Quote:
    Because this model was created before Apple adopted the ADC port (which provides power to an external monitor), the Sawtooth G4 is unable to support ADC displays. It may also be incompatible with AGP 4x and later cards that include a retention tab. Because of voltage differences between the AGP 2x and 4x specs, newer cards may also be electronically incompatible with the Sawtooth G4.

Gawd.. that HIS Excalibur 7000 Radeon... 64 bit card. Wow, didn't really think 64 bit would be around for x4 agp. I thought they were all 128bit cards, though I guess that should work on that AGP.

Well.. I think I'm all out of advice.

Though... one question I didn't ask was, are you sure the display is working right, or what kind of monitor are you using?

I'm guessing if everything works, you did reseat everything, you tried to run the MB out of the case... perhaps an RMA on another board may get you a running PC.

Maybe someone else has been following this thread to give suggetions that may have not been asked.

Edit:

Since I was bored.. I looked through Asus site, some other things came to mind. There was one user saying that the AGP port maybe finicky.. heh:

Quote:
    My P4P800-E Deluxe did the same thing when I first built it. Couldn't find a thing wrong, everything looked correctly mounted and slotted home. I finally got it to work but unseating the video card and very carefully reseating it. This Mobo is very finicky about the seating of the video card so even if it looks like it's mounted correctly pull it out and very carefully put it back.

Now, the very last thought that came into mind, is Bios Version.

Hard to say what version is on that MB. You need at least version 1005 for Prescotts with locked frequency.

Is it possible, that he has the Initial Release version of 1004 thats stopping it from displaying?

I wonder if he should try to start the PC without the CPU, to see if the display will come up. That way he will be able to see the bios version.. I think.

So, the last advice is to try to boot without the CPU, with vid card, and 1 stick of ram.
  49. yea im sure the monitors are not the problem. i have CRT monitors and, i even tried plugging in the G4s digital Flat Screen with teh USB cord and i still get nothing.

yea, ive just took out the CPU and i turned on my computer. no beeps or nothing, but one thing though. when i tried turning it off with the power switch, i wouldnt turn off this time, so i had to shut it off using the PCU.

d.suzuki
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Do It Yourself Computer Systems Product