Internet Explorer

curt31

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Hello just got a new Dell i5 15z laptop that I absolutely love now that I got some hardware problems resolved, the first two were shutting down randomly after Googling came to find it was a motherboard issue that's been known for at least a year. Let me tell ya I'm not happy that Dell has not corrected this in all this time, but they did send a tech out to the house free of charge and replaced the motherboard heat sink and fan which did correct the problem. Just thought I would mention it if anyone knows anyone having similar problems.

Well the problem I'm having now is with Internet Explorer I'm assuming this is a software issue but whats going on is when I shut down my windows before exiting and try to restore my last session all the windows are not coming up they do occasionally but usually they don't this is very frustrating I bought this machine for a new business I'm starting and often have specific windows open that I need to go back to. I started just saving so of them as favorites or writing some down but this is a hassel anyone have any idea whats going on and please assure me this is software related just couldn't stand anymore hardware issues. Thanks guys

Tom j.

curt31

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

Hi say sorry about that I think it's version 8 if that helps. Thanks for your time and effort!

Tom j.

I don't use IE, I use Firefox. It sounds like by forcing windows to shutdown without exiting IE first you were activating IE's crash recovery. Technically, a user shutdown is not a crash and shouldn't activate crash recovery procedures. Did you just upgrade to IE8? They may have updated the way crash recovery works in this version.

Firefox exhibits the same behavior. If windows crashes while firefox is running or if some web page crashes firefox, then crash recovery is activated when you start it back up. Shutting down your computer while firefox is active doesn't activate crash recovery.

Detaill

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I prefer Opera or Firefox . The only problem application I had in Windows 7 was IE 8 , It would just stop working sometimes even with one tab open viewing text , of course the problem was never identified . I have upgraded to IE 9 but I still but prefer other browsers.

curt31

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

Hello I agree that if you but I always exit IE first like right now I got 12 windows open if I close them down and then exit windows you should be able to restore the last session with it reopening those 12 windows, at least I could with XP. I'm currently using 7 any ideas? Thanks

Tom h.

curt31

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

I've noticed that if I did have a crash it does seem to allow you to recover by opening the windows prie to the cash but there is a option for restoring last broswing session under tools also found this please see link that seems to confirm that you should be able to reopen your last session. But now I'm confused by what they mean by last session for example if you have two layers of windows like 5 on one layer and 10 on the next if you shut down all the 10 windows first and then the 5 and go back and request to restore the last browsing session with it open all 15 or just the last 5 I'm confused on this point. Hope I'm making this clear. Thanks guys!

Tom

curt31

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

I've noticed that if I did have a crash it does seem to allow you to recover by opening the windows prie to the cash but there is a option for restoring last broswing session under tools also found this please see link that seems to confirm that you should be able to reopen your last session. But now I'm confused by what they mean by last session for example if you have two layers of windows like 5 on one layer and 10 on the next if you shut down all the 10 windows first and then the 5 and go back and request to restore the last browsing session with it open all 15 or just the last 5 I'm confused on this point. Hope I'm making this clear. Thanks guys!

Tom

curt31

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

Tom

curt31

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

Maybe I should upgrade to 9 8 is what came with the machine, and when you shut down your browser isn't it suppose to restore all the windows you had open. How does reopen last browser session work exactly or suppose to work anyway maybe I'm doing something wrong. I will consider another browser but I guess I'm just so used to the windows version. Thanks!

Tom j.

IE9 is for Windows 7 only, possibly vista. Your home page is just an option in the settings. I have mine set to open to a blank page. It's in tools/internet options on the general tab. Reopen last session is greyed out for me, so I don' think it remembers the last session since IE was running. That would be crash recovery.