Riot Breaks Out at Foxconn's iPhone 5 Casing Factory

Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
iPhone 5 seems to be off to a good start.
First the Maps mishap, now this...

Wondering if this too will cause Apple stock to go up.
Nothing surprises me at this stage when it comes to Apple.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
This is the slippery slope, once the pre-order hype dies down and people realise the 5 is a turd then it will be like the first time Jobs left, except this time he aint coming back

"However, despite these reports, Foxconn told Reuters in a statement that the incident that triggered the riot involved only employees."

Of course; security guards are employees, as well. Nice try there, but failed.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Apple sweat-shop: what a nice place to slave one's life away, on a Sunday night at 10pm.

it would seem that riots are just a "feature" of Apples high profit margins

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Maybe the pay, working conditions and pressures are still causing people to be pissed off at the slightest provocation. 80,000 people are a lot. So an employee's job description may read "Responsible for making sure the 4th screw on the lower right corner of the main board is fasten securely to the chassis." Won't be easy to find another job with such a work experience.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
having read the headline, I thought of only one thing, that is, a riot broke out because there was a surge to jump off the building asap, and workers had to fight their way through their own blockade to get to the top of the foxconn building.

/disowned family and friends that use Apple products.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
LOL - There are more people are looking at this news as " more iPhone 5 Delays" or "More Bad Publicity for Apple" as opposed to "Human Rights Abuses and the Outsourcing US Tech companies supporting it".

How pathetic has our world become?

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]LOL - There are more people are looking at this news as " more iPhone 5 Delays" or "More Bad Publicity for Apple" as opposed to "Human Rights Abuses and the Outsourcing US Tech companies supporting it".How pathetic has our world become?[/citation]

It is what ever YOU and I allow it to be...

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Apple is literally minting money these days....they spend so much on R&D...wud it hurt so much to ensure that these workers have a little more humane working conditions and timings? Even if $10 from each over-priced iphone is spent towards this cause, i'm sure it would do much good.
But Apple, like other big companies won't bother, to them china is just a land of cheap human over-working slave machines!!

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
BTW - wasn't it the Foxconn CEO, who back in June, said the iPhone 5 was an Galaxy SIII killer?

Seems more like the iPhone 5 is a Foxconn Employee killer...

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
5000 Police?!?! What kind of municipal police force has 5000 officers available for something like that? Sounds like a full strength army brigade, to me, and it probably was.

samkl

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]I boycot anything that has a foxconn product for the vast mistreatment that their workers suffer under.[/citation]

You'd need to not buy anything from Apple, HP, Microsoft, Samsung, Dell, IBM, Logitech, Panasonic, Sony, Mazda, Honda, Ford, and most out global brands.

In the age of globalization, everything is manufactured by massive outsourcing vanilla companies.
-SK

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]samkl[/nom]You'd need to not buy anything from Apple, HP, Microsoft, Samsung, Dell, IBM, Logitech, Panasonic, Sony, Mazda, Honda, Ford, and most out global brands. In the age of globalization, everything is manufactured by massive outsourcing vanilla companies. -SK[/citation]
i don't buy anything from those brands... was that so hard??

or is slave labor okay just because everybody is doing it?

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]gsacks[/nom]Is it fair to ask why a factory needs guards in the first place?[/citation]

Most factories and office buildings have guards. Even in the US.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]i don't buy anything from those brands... was that so hard??or is slave labor okay just because everybody is doing it?[/citation]

Problem is you think this is slave labor because what you are reading in Western media. Fact is most of these people come from poor farms and villages which pay a lot more and then they are sending that money back to their villages. The other big thing, these people are not as lazy as half of the Americans that go out on the streets and beg for money using the same cardboard sign like their partners saying that have xx kids and blah blah that...

And in any case, let's say we bring back manufacturing jobs to the US, so many Americans look down on their own products, the cost only would not be the problem.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]samkl[/nom]You'd need to not buy anything from Apple, HP, Microsoft, Samsung, Dell, IBM, Logitech, Panasonic, Sony, Mazda, Honda, Ford, and most out global brands. In the age of globalization, everything is manufactured by massive outsourcing vanilla companies. -SK[/citation]

Foxconn mistreats their employees far worse then any of those companies you mention. You hear more sucid deaths come from their employees then you ever hear of those companies to mentioned combined. So no they aren't all equal.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Anyone here have an iPhone 5?

I saw on the Apple site complaints about the touch screen acting up.
Are these rare exceptions or is this like Antenna Gate all over again ?

God I love my Samsung flip phone :)

G

iFightClub: Wang vs fat Chinese guy in his toilet figuring out how apple maps work.

Status
Not open for further replies.