Sign in with
Your question

Computer keeps shutting off

Last response: in Components
March 14, 2006 12:19:59 PM

Hello,

My computer has been shutting off latley when I start playing games or transfering a large amount of data between harddrives. I just added in another harddrive and the problem seems to happen more often now. I think it might be the power supply.

I have a A8N-SLI deluxe, AMD 3000+ (512 cache) 6600GT (only one), IDE DVD Player, 4 harddrives (3 x IDE, 1 x SATA) and a 450 Watt power supply.

A link to the powersupply I have is here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182008

If the power supply is the problem, could you recommend how much power I should need with my current system plus any future minor/moderate upgrades (such as another graphics card in SLI or upgrading the CPU to a dual core model? If it's not the PSU, any other ideas? Thanks.

David

More about : computer shutting

a c 158 ) Power supply
March 14, 2006 12:36:46 PM

Are you monitoring temps? Run MEMTEST86 on the RAM? Do you have BSOD errors you can Google? (if not, then disable auto-reboot and copy the BSOD error)

The PSU should be suficient for your rig - at least a 450W PSU should be sufficient. I'm not a huge fan of Rosewill and would consider it to be suspect, but i'd log voltages while stress-testing before making a final call.

Bottom line - this could be any of a number of issues and some T/S needs to happen.
March 14, 2006 12:48:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. Do you know where I could read more about what voltages I should be getting. I'm not getting any BSOD errors, it just shuts off when a run a game for a few minutes or transfering a lot of data between harddrives. I'll run that memory test tonight. Do you have a suggestion of what program I should use to monitor the temperatures? Thanks again.

David
Related resources
March 14, 2006 1:12:26 PM

I'am having the same problem. Do you have the cpu overclocked by any chance?
March 14, 2006 1:14:41 PM

No, I even uninstalled the Asus overclock on demand thing. I set most of evertyhing in the BIOS to auto.

David
a c 158 ) Power supply
March 14, 2006 1:22:00 PM

Read both FAQs at the top of this forum. The FAQ at the top of Motherboard - General forum is also very useful.

The mobo should have a hardware monitoring utility. Voltages should be within +/- 5% of the rated amount. 10% is the actual specification, but 5% is my comfort zone. If it is shutting off and not rebooting, then I would suspect power. If it is a reboot, then you disable the auto reboot in Windows. When the error occurs, you will then receive an error message on the BSOD.
March 14, 2006 1:22:14 PM

Most likely its your power supply though i was having the same problem. Everytime i would run a game it would reboot. You have to remember you have 4 hard drives. What type of cooling do you have?
March 14, 2006 1:23:21 PM

Is your graphics card and a hard drive sharing the same power line?
I have a very similar setup to yours, but I have an Antec 430w PSU and only 3 hard drives. But if I am remembering right when I installed my 6600GT it required quite a bit of power through the line and the manufacterer recommend putting it on it's own line.
May not be your problem but it's easy to check.
a c 158 ) Power supply
March 14, 2006 1:26:54 PM

With that particular PSU it will be difficult putting it on its own rail....with that many hdd/cd drives, he'd have a hard time putting on its own rail on any PSU.

Personally, I'd consolidate some data and remove some older drives...
March 14, 2006 1:47:42 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll check to see if my graphics card is getting it's own power line. The A8N motherboard has an extra power hookup for the SLI cards. I don't have power going to it because I only have one card. I'll also look at the FAQ and monitor the voltage.

I plan on removing one the harddrives once I get the data off of it. When I only had 3 harddrives, I was still having the problem with the computer shutting off. I guess I could cut back the harddrives to 2 if needed.

I have a lian li case with 4 fans in it plus the AMD OEM fan for the CPU and the fan that came with the graphics card. I replaced the chipset fan with a heatsink because it went bad.

David
a c 158 ) Power supply
March 14, 2006 1:52:54 PM

If you want to keep those HDDs, then I'd put in a better PSU. Heck - i'd put in a better PSU either way! The FSP 450W for $50 is a great little PSU - one that I would trust a lot more than that Rosewill.
March 14, 2006 2:34:44 PM

That's also a good idea. The PSU only had a 20-pin connector but I got a 20-24 adapter on it.

David
!