screwed up the refresh rate

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I screwed up the refresh rate, went to 100hz and monitor only goes to 85hz. Now no display, can a system restore fix this (bring back the orignal settings?) what other options do i have I used the onboard video but that does not allow me to change refresh rates.
I have a bfg6800 and was thinking of putting an older card (have a pny 6600) and windows should auto detect and go to default settings) but it is the same driver so it might not?
Any ideas?

Thank you.

xephus

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
Go into windows through safe mode (Rattle f8 on boot up)

Then you should be able to change driver settings or reinstall drivers.

hope this helps :)

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
One of the options after F8 should be enable VGA mode. Just use that and then change the setting once back into windows.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
It does not let me change settings it only sets a default setting, but ill try the vga mode , then just re installing the drivers .
Thanks guys

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I'm curious how you actually got into this situation, because windows 2000 and XP will ask you if you can see the screen and want to keep the setting. If you can't see the screen and do not accept the new settings then it will revert back to the old settings after 15 seconds.

What is the OS you are using?

You shouldn't need to reload the drivers. Once you get into windows safemode, or VGA mode, then you can just change the settings back.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
i am on windows xp media center, I thought it was suppose to give me that 15 second window too, I first changed it to 65hz and it did not ask me if i wanted to keep those settings either it just changed them, I went to 100hz ,then I guess i hit the okay button.

It was my own fault really because I unchecked "dont show unsupported........".

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
I'm curious how you actually got into this situation, because windows 2000 and XP will ask you if you can see the screen and want to keep the setting. If you can't see the screen and do not accept the new settings then it will revert back to the old settings after 15 seconds.

I forget where, but you can disable this setting so that it applies automatically.