Pocket Explorer and Java?

October 5, 2004 8:24:08 PM

Hello-

I recently purchased a Dell Axim and love the thing, but I have a few
concerns with Pocket Explorer (that is, Internet Explorer). Am I correct
that it does not have Java support built-in?

Some sites, such as Gmail and posting on Blogger, don't work, and I suspect
it is because of the Java issue but I am not certain. Regardless of those
functioning, there are a few other applications, such as a Java version of
SSH client that I use for school, and the Java version of Yahoo Messenger
(or AIM, or several other messaging apps) that I'd really like to be able to
use.

That said, if I get a free-license or shareware-license Java VM or Kit for
the Pocket PC, what do I need to do to have it integrate into my Pocket
Explorer browser? Or, are there other Pocket PC browsers that already have
Java? Or am I on the wrong track altogether?

TIA,
Stu

More about : pocket explorer java

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 9:41:37 PM

sturose2000 wrote:
> Hello-
>
> I recently purchased a Dell Axim and love the thing, but I have a few
> concerns with Pocket Explorer (that is, Internet Explorer). Am I
> correct that it does not have Java support built-in?
>
> Some sites, such as Gmail and posting on Blogger, don't work, and I
> suspect it is because of the Java issue but I am not certain.
> Regardless of those functioning, there are a few other applications,
> such as a Java version of SSH client that I use for school, and the
> Java version of Yahoo Messenger (or AIM, or several other messaging
> apps) that I'd really like to be able to use.
>
> That said, if I get a free-license or shareware-license Java VM or
> Kit for the Pocket PC, what do I need to do to have it integrate into
> my Pocket Explorer browser? Or, are there other Pocket PC browsers
> that already have Java? Or am I on the wrong track altogether?

The NetFront browser has an optional JVM which works well, and is generally
way more compatible than Pocket IE. You can download the trial version or
buy it from www.pocketgear.com.

But you specifically mentioned Gmail, so I should mention that I can't
access Gmail with NetFront 3.1 on my iPAQ. I think 3.2 is out, maybe it will
work with that. I haven't analysed the problem, but it's not a Java issue.

Tony
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 11:31:59 AM

"Tony A." <you.dont@need.to.know> wrote in

> The NetFront browser has an optional JVM which works well, and is
> generally way more compatible than Pocket IE. You can download the trial
> version or buy it from www.pocketgear.com.
>
> But you specifically mentioned Gmail, so I should mention that I can't
> access Gmail with NetFront 3.1 on my iPAQ. I think 3.2 is out, maybe it
> will work with that. I haven't analysed the problem, but it's not a Java
> issue.
>
> Tony

Small warning here, the Netfront trial does NOT have the JVM. only for $$
will you get the JVM version.
Also, Gmail makes use of jscript, and Pocket IE only carries a very small
subset of jscript and might not be able to handle the scripting on Gmail
even if you do get a decent JVM installed. Also, Gmail makes use of popup
screens. popup screens are not supported at all in Pocket IE. so in that
case Netfront would be your best option since it -does- support popups and
can render Gmail as Tony said.
Yahoo webmessenger, even with a JVM installed it might not work correctly
or at all, since PPC JVM's are also not like their desktop counterparts..
not sure whether or not that is different with Netfront.
It's all about memory size for PPC programs unfortunately.

There's a list of JVM's for PPC but i'll have to dig around for it.
my 5550 came with a free JVM on the Companion CD. have you checked yours?

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 07:31:59 -0700, "ACE!!!"
<ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Tony A." <you.dont@need.to.know> wrote in
>
>> The NetFront browser has an optional JVM which works well, and is
>> generally way more compatible than Pocket IE. You can download the trial
>> version or buy it from www.pocketgear.com.
>>
>> But you specifically mentioned Gmail, so I should mention that I can't
>> access Gmail with NetFront 3.1 on my iPAQ. I think 3.2 is out, maybe it
>> will work with that. I haven't analysed the problem, but it's not a Java
>> issue.
>>
>> Tony
>>

>Small warning here, the Netfront trial does NOT have the JVM. only for $$
>will you get the JVM version.
>Also, Gmail makes use of jscript, and Pocket IE only carries a very small
>subset of jscript and might not be able to handle the scripting on Gmail
>even if you do get a decent JVM installed. Also, Gmail makes use of popup
>screens. popup screens are not supported at all in Pocket IE. so in that
>case Netfront would be your best option since it -does- support popups and
>can render Gmail as Tony said.
>Yahoo webmessenger, even with a JVM installed it might not work correctly
>or at all, since PPC JVM's are also not like their desktop counterparts..
>not sure whether or not that is different with Netfront.
>It's all about memory size for PPC programs unfortunately.
>
>There's a list of JVM's for PPC but i'll have to dig around for it.
>my 5550 came with a free JVM on the Companion CD. have you checked yours?
>

>~S.

I'm still waiting for Opera to pull their fingers out - they annouced
a PPC browser over a month ago.... stilll .... nothing :-P

Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 11:02:35 PM

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Tony A." <you.dont@need.to.know> wrote in
>
>> The NetFront browser has an optional JVM which works well, and is
>> Tony
>>

> Small warning here, the Netfront trial does NOT have the JVM. only for $$
> will you get the JVM version.
> Also, Gmail makes use of jscript, and Pocket IE only carries a very small
> subset of jscript and might not be able to handle the scripting on Gmail
> even if you do get a decent JVM installed. Also, Gmail makes use of popup
> screens. popup screens are not supported at all in Pocket IE. so in that
> case Netfront would be your best option since it -does- support popups and
> can render Gmail as Tony said.
> Yahoo webmessenger, even with a JVM installed it might not work correctly
> or at all, since PPC JVM's are also not like their desktop counterparts..
> not sure whether or not that is different with Netfront.
> It's all about memory size for PPC programs unfortunately.
>
> There's a list of JVM's for PPC but i'll have to dig around for it.
> my 5550 came with a free JVM on the Companion CD. have you checked yours?
>
> ~S.

Thanks everyone for the input. I tried downloading the trial version of
NetFront. I like the multiple-windows ability, but forms don't work (i.e.
when there should be a form, the text input box, check box, etc, don't show
up) on some pages--perhaps this is that same Javascript problem?

I also Googled for Pocket PC Java VM and found a few, but don't really know
what to do with them. I unsuccessfully tried to get Bullant and SuperWaba
to work, but without digging thru loads of documentation (which I'm not
ready to do at this point) I'm not getting it. My CD did not have any VM on
it.

As for the Java version of an SSH client that I would have used, I instead
found a free SSH program called PocketPuTTY. I'm pretty happy about this
one, since the built-in Terminal Services seemed to lack the secure
encryption I need for the university.

Thanks again,
Stu
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 5:04:54 AM

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in

> I'm still waiting for Opera to pull their fingers out - they annouced
> a PPC browser over a month ago.... stilll .... nothing :-P
>
> Cheers - Neil

I'm quite curious myself, i've signed up for news and updates
because of that. waiting bites, but perhaps worthwile ;)

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
12491 Total Signatures on Friday, Oct. 8th 2004!
HP 'Windows Mobile 2003 SE Support' Forum:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 5:18:07 AM

I just downloaded a Beta of the Opera browser for "Windows Mobile
devices" but the cab-file won't install on my HP Ipaq 5550.

Has anyone managed to install it?

/Anders

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns957C6667CD1CAFearIsTheMindKiller@207.46.248.16>...
> "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in
>

> > I'm still waiting for Opera to pull their fingers out - they annouced
> > a PPC browser over a month ago.... stilll .... nothing :-P
> >
> > Cheers - Neil
> >

> I'm quite curious myself, i've signed up for news and updates
> because of that. waiting bites, but perhaps worthwile ;)
>

> ~S.
>

> --
> ======================
> ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
> OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
> iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
> HTTP://www.xarane.com
> ======================
> Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Petition:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
> 12491 Total Signatures on Friday, Oct. 8th 2004!
> HP 'Windows Mobile 2003 SE Support' Forum:
> http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 4:38:07 PM

Thanks for the heads up I'll have a look and try it out - they
released the news about this a month ago but I hadn't heard updates
that the download was available ;-0

Cheers - Neil

On 17 Oct 2004 01:18:07 -0700, anders@simbalsyd.se (Anders
Sneckenborg) wrote:

>I just downloaded a Beta of the Opera browser for "Windows Mobile
>devices" but the cab-file won't install on my HP Ipaq 5550.
>
>Has anyone managed to install it?
>
>/Anders
>

>"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns957C6667CD1CAFearIsTheMindKiller@207.46.248.16>...
>> "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in
>>

>> > I'm still waiting for Opera to pull their fingers out - they annouced
>> > a PPC browser over a month ago.... stilll .... nothing :-P
>> >
>> > Cheers - Neil
>> >

>> I'm quite curious myself, i've signed up for news and updates
>> because of that. waiting bites, but perhaps worthwile ;)
>>

>> ~S.
>>

>> --
>> ======================
>> ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
>> OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
>> iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
>> HTTP://www.xarane.com
>> ======================
>> Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Petition:
>> http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
>> 12491 Total Signatures on Friday, Oct. 8th 2004!
>> HP 'Windows Mobile 2003 SE Support' Forum:
>> http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 5:23:13 PM

Yep, I'm getting 'The file "\Storage Card\cabs\opera_wmsp_760b1.cab"
is not a valid windows CE setup file' message - is that what you get ?

Sneckenborg) wrote:

>I just downloaded a Beta of the Opera browser for "Windows Mobile
>devices" but the cab-file won't install on my HP Ipaq 5550.
>
>Has anyone managed to install it?
>
>/Anders
>

>"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns957C6667CD1CAFearIsTheMindKiller@207.46.248.16>...
>> "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in
>>

>> > I'm still waiting for Opera to pull their fingers out - they annouced
>> > a PPC browser over a month ago.... stilll .... nothing :-P
>> >
>> > Cheers - Neil
>> >

>> I'm quite curious myself, i've signed up for news and updates
>> because of that. waiting bites, but perhaps worthwile ;)
>>

>> ~S.
>>

>> --
>> ======================
>> ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
>> OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
>> iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
>> HTTP://www.xarane.com
>> ======================
>> Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Petition:
>> http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
>> 12491 Total Signatures on Friday, Oct. 8th 2004!
>> HP 'Windows Mobile 2003 SE Support' Forum:
>> http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 5:43:51 PM

Bug posted to news.opera.com/opera.beta newsgroup, and to the Opera
bug track system

Sneckenborg) wrote:

>I just downloaded a Beta of the Opera browser for "Windows Mobile
>devices" but the cab-file won't install on my HP Ipaq 5550.
>
>Has anyone managed to install it?
>
>/Anders
>

>"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns957C6667CD1CAFearIsTheMindKiller@207.46.248.16>...
>> "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in
>>

>> > I'm still waiting for Opera to pull their fingers out - they annouced
>> > a PPC browser over a month ago.... stilll .... nothing :-P
>> >
>> > Cheers - Neil
>> >

>> I'm quite curious myself, i've signed up for news and updates
>> because of that. waiting bites, but perhaps worthwile ;)
>>

>> ~S.
>>

>> --
>> ======================
>> ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
>> OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
>> iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
>> HTTP://www.xarane.com
>> ======================
>> Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Petition:
>> http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
>> 12491 Total Signatures on Friday, Oct. 8th 2004!
>> HP 'Windows Mobile 2003 SE Support' Forum:
>> http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 1:09:56 AM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:43:51 GMT, Neil Smith wrote:
> On 17 Oct 2004 01:18:07 -0700, Anders Sneckenborg wrote:

>>> I'm quite curious myself, i've signed up for news and updates
>>> because of that. waiting bites, but perhaps worthwile ;)
>>
>> I just downloaded a Beta of the Opera browser for "Windows Mobile
>> devices" but the cab-file won't install on my HP Ipaq 5550.
>>
>> Has anyone managed to install it?

> Bug posted to news.opera.com/opera.beta newsgroup, and to the Opera bug
> track system

See

http://my.opera.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6...

or

http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/winmobile/

.... for the release notes and documentation, where you can read:

"Please note that the current version works with Windows Mobile Smartphone
2003 exclusively, it does not run on Pocket PC or Smartphone 2002."

--
Rijk van Geijtenbeek

The Web is a procrastination apparatus:
It can absorb as much time as is required to ensure that you
won't get any real work done. - J.Nielsen
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 3:17:18 AM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:09:56 +0200, "Rijk van Geijtenbeek"
<rijk@operaremovethiz.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:43:51 GMT, Neil Smith wrote:
>> On 17 Oct 2004 01:18:07 -0700, Anders Sneckenborg wrote:
>>> "ACE!!!" wrote...

>>> I just downloaded a Beta of the Opera browser for "Windows Mobile
>>> devices" but the cab-file won't install on my HP Ipaq 5550.
>>>
>>> Has anyone managed to install it?
>
>> Bug posted to news.opera.com/opera.beta newsgroup, and to the Opera bug
>> track system
>
>See
>
>http://my.opera.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6...
>
>or
>
>http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/winmobile/
>
>... for the release notes and documentation, where you can read:
>
>"Please note that the current version works with Windows Mobile Smartphone
>2003 exclusively, it does not run on Pocket PC or Smartphone 2002."

Aha, I see. It's difficult to find and relatively badly worded : I
went first to the download page which states "Opera for Windows Mobile
devices" and the preceding main download page which has link text of
"Download Opera for your phone/PDA".

So no cautions there. In the support article (again, hard to find from
the download pages), the title of the article states "Opera 7.60
Technical Preview 1 for Windows Mobile, Smartphone 2003 "

which can also be read as "Windows mobile , and Smartphone 2003"
without further qualification (which happens at the very bottom of the
article : "This release is only for Smartphone 2003. It will not work
on Smartphone 2002 or Pocket PC devices.")

Sheesh, I wish Opera would state things a little better - their press
released clearly said WM2003 without further qualifying that as "Phone
edition only" so I was kinda waiting with bated breath !

Cheers anyway -
Neil
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 5:56:36 AM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 23:17:18 GMT, Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]
<neil@nospam.com> wrote:

> Aha, I see. It's difficult to find and relatively badly worded : I
> went first to the download page which states "Opera for Windows Mobile
> devices" and the preceding main download page which has link text of
> "Download Opera for your phone/PDA".
>
> So no cautions there. In the support article (again, hard to find from
> the download pages), the title of the article states "Opera 7.60
> Technical Preview 1 for Windows Mobile, Smartphone 2003 "
> which can also be read as "Windows mobile , and Smartphone 2003"
> without further qualification (which happens at the very bottom of the
> article : "This release is only for Smartphone 2003. It will not work
> on Smartphone 2002 or Pocket PC devices.")
>
> Sheesh, I wish Opera would state things a little better - their press
> released clearly said WM2003 without further qualifying that as "Phone
> edition only" so I was kinda waiting with bated breath !
>
> Cheers anyway -

The press release was some time ago. This preview release was only
announced on the My Opera forum. People should really only link to that
announcement, because it contains important information... But that is
wishful thinking, so I agree that the download page should link to the
release notes. Normally, preview releases are not available from the
normal download server.

--

!