theimmobilizer

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Hello, I'm looking to upgrade to a 939 board 'cause I'd really like to get a 90nm Venice, probably a 3000+, and OC it. However, I can't afford to get a new graphics card, too. I currently have a BFG 6600 GT OC AGP. So, I need a mobo that has AGP.

I've read that the nForce3 Ultra has special instructions to add extra performance to nVidia-based GPU's, so I'm especially interested in getting one. I have a special love for Gigabyte boards, for some reason, so any of their K8NS boards would be great. I've also considered getting MSI's Neo2 Platinum. Unfortunately, I'm finding it very difficult or even impossible to find either company's boards online anywhere.

So my questions are:
1. Where could I find either company's boards?
2. If it's unrealistic to go for an nForce3 Ultra, what would be a decent alternative?
And
3. Would a PCIe/AGP dual board be a decent alternative altogether, and if so which one?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

theimmobilizer

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
The asrock dual sata II will give you either pci-e or agp support.

Right, but is it a good board? I've found a couple boards around that have both slots, but many of the reviews I've read have said that you'll take a performance hit on 'em because they go through the PCI channel. Tom's Hardware said that the Asrock Dual Sata II doesn't have this problem (or at least they said there isn't the performance hit), but they also said this board didn't perform as well as single slot boards. Also, like I said originally, I'd really like to find an nForce3 Ultra board. I'll settle for something else, though. What I really need to know is where could I find an nForce3 Ultra board? If I can't find an nForce3 Ultra board, what would be the best alternative? Dual slot like the Asrock? nForce 3 250? VIA?

Yeah. I would go with nforce3 in msi or gigabyte if you can find one. The msi should overclock better than the gigabyte. But if you can't, the asrock is pretty good. I use an inexpensive ecs kt800 pro board with agp only, and it runs fine at 250 fsb (25% overclock).

theimmobilizer

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Yeah. I would go with nforce3 in msi or gigabyte if you can find one. The msi should overclock better than the gigabyte. But if you can't, the asrock is pretty good. I use an inexpensive ecs kt800 pro board with agp only, and it runs fine at 250 fsb (25% overclock).

Yeah, I've been wondering about the kt800 as an alternative. Most reviews I've read have favored the nforce3 over it, but since the nforce3's availability STINKS, I've been searching for another alternative. I'd like either the MSI or Gigabyte boards, just can't find 'em anywhere but on eBay, and those are usually all used. *shrugs*

If you still want nforce3, I'd go for one of the epox models at newegg. I couldn't find the msi either, and epox will definately overclock better than the gigabyte. If you think you might use a dual core someday, I'd check for bios updates. Nforce3 chipsets were designed long before dual core was released.

theimmobilizer

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
If you still want nforce3, I'd go for one of the epox models at newegg. I couldn't find the msi either, and epox will definately overclock better than the gigabyte. If you think you might use a dual core someday, I'd check for bios updates. Nforce3 chipsets were designed long before dual core was released.

What about the DFI UT NF3 ULTRA-D? Newegg has a refurbished one of those as well as a refurbished Neo2 Platinum. I'm just a little wary of going with refurbished....

I have no experience with customer support at DFI. But Msi has an online tech support person that handles nothing but rma's. At least that was the case less than a year ago. I haven't used it in awhile. I actually sent in a newegg refurb to msi, and they replaced it, but the new board was'nt any better than the refurb. This particular model board had a defective memory controller. But they finally sent me a different model and it worked pretty well. So, if you really want the DFI, contact their customer support and see if they will give you any warranty on a refurb.

theimmobilizer

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Thanks for all the help, guys, really. I found a K8NS with a 3000+ and 256 Kingston combo on Pricewatch. I'll probably put the ram up on eBay and build my system off the rest. Although, if anyone has a better idea I'd love to hear it - I won't be ordering this combo for a few days so I might still shop around.

You should be able to get that CPU for around $130 and that mobo for around $60. That memory is not worth the extra $30. I don't think it's a good deal - especially since i wouldn't even be using that RAM. You can get a good set of 2X512MB for around $60 and that would make the 256MB stick useless.

theimmobilizer

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Yeah, I'd rather not have to resort to a combo, and actually that site has the same deal without the RAM for $209. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding standalones of that board or the MSI Neo2 Platinum anywhere, which is partly why I opened this topic to begin with - the other reason was to get opinions on suitable alternatives. The Epox board doesn't seem worth the price and both it and the DFI board are just as hard to track down as the Gigabyte and MSI ones. GRRR!! I guess nForce3 Ultra never hit its full production potential. Which is why I asked if the nForce3 250 or the VIA KT800 would be okay....

Going back to your orig post, the first response and the most recent recommendation....I'd agree that the Asrock 939Dual is a good alternative for you and the nice PCIe upgrade path. That is the route I would take if I were in your shoes.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
You know you could just eBay that 6600GT and buy another one in PCI-E and just go with a nice NF4 PCI-E board. New AGP 6600GTs are still selling rather high these says compared to their PCI-E counterparts.

Here's a MSI card that would total $98.00 after the rebate. You should be able to get at least $60.00 for your 6600GT AGP, most likey more than that.

Here's a nice Epox board to go with your AMD 3000+ Venice.

The initiall cost is higher than you expect, but after you sell the AGP card it balances out. It would not surprise me if you sold the AGP 6600GT for close to what you buy the new MSI PCI-E for.

Just one idea to toss out there.

theimmobilizer

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Yeah, I know I may as well move up to PCIe. But I was hoping to go to 939 as cheaply as possible right now (trying to save up for my wedding) while not having the hassle of eBay-ing my current stuff. Plus I don't want to be without my comp for however long it takes to exchange all the components in and out :p

-BUT-

I might just reevaluate the whole thing and go PCIe from the get-go... Originally the plan was I'd just get an AGP 939 board so I could keep my current card, and whenever I decided to get a PCIe card I'd already have the CPU in hand, I'd just have to get a new board too. Upgrading in steps is always more complicated than doing the whole she-bang at once, I'm aware, but when you're on a TIGHT budget.... *shrugs*

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Understandable. My idea was using the notion of getting all the new parts at once and then selling the video card, but if that strains the budget too much you probably are better off going the Asrock route. Good luck!!

theimmobilizer

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Thanks for all the help again, everyone. So now I'm thinking I might rethink the direction I'm going in, given all the advice. So how 'bout this - I'll sell off my AGP card and get a PCIe card (there's no WAY I can afford to go SLI) and get a board to go along with it.

But the question NOW is: What kind chipset should I go for for a PCIe solution? What's the difference between nForce4 4X and Ultra (again, I'm not going with SLI so there's no need to compare that version of the nF4)? And of course, the ultimate question, what board should I get?

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
The NF4 Ultra is the refined (mature) nVidia chipset, that doesn't offer SLI. In your case it's not necessary but you'll probably end up getting one anyway because most of the regular NF4 boards are almost in the same price range. I only suggested the Epox board because it offered SATA II. If you ever upgrade your hard drive (need room for wedding pictures??), it's a nice feature to have. There are a few cheaper boards that have this feature, but I am not a big fan of the brands.

I cannot give you the specifics on what are the differences between the NF4 Ultra and the NF4 4X, but I'm sure someone wlse will come along and help you one that one.

theimmobilizer

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I just checked out the nForce4 product family page on nVidia's site:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/nforce4_family.html

The 4X isn't listed, just plain ol' 4. So I did a little investigating and it turns out the 4X is just a Gigabyte concept - though I don't know how it differs from the regular 4, if at all. In the end, I'm still gonna go with the Ultra, I just thought I'd pass on the info.

The differences are in the features that are on the chipset and the HT speed. I have a Gigbayte GA-K8NF-9 mobo that I run 24/7 with a 15%OC while folding. Quiet, rock-solid stable and has all of the features that I need. Buy the product that has the features you realistically want/need. Paying more for something that you won't use is a waste of money.

theimmobilizer

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
That board has Gigabyte's nForce4 (4X) chipset, but I can't find on their spec sheet if it runs at the full 1000 HT or if it's at the slower 800. That is, if nForce4's even run at the slower 800 speed like some of the nForce3's, but to be honest I haven't checked. I do seem to remember seeing somewhere that 4's run at 800, too, but I could be imagining things :)