Your question

new thermal paste?

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Thermal Compound
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
March 14, 2006 5:21:27 PM

would it be better to keep the stock thermal paste (i have not removed the heatsink) or would it be better to put on new thermal paste? (some stuff i bought at radio shack, works well with my CPU (no more throttling!!!! @ 80'c)

graphics = x700 pro overclocked (sig)
idle temps (depending on amient) is on average about 40-43'c, load is at most 71'c

would it improve my temps to simply take off my heat sink and put on new thermal paste?

Thanks in advance,
Ara

(won't be able to reply for about 24 hours or more (sleep then school) so take ur time)

More about : thermal paste

March 14, 2006 9:48:19 PM

The stock thermal pad works pretty good. I don't know the age, but if installed right in the first place, it should perform well for several years with no problems, as long as not separated and reconnected.
I would not replace it with anything of lesser quality than Arctic Silver 5 (very good). I do not know what radio shak stuff you refer too.

If you do remove pad, then use Cotton tipped swabs and 90% isoprol alcohol to thoroughly remove old pad and residue, before replacing.
March 14, 2006 10:10:46 PM

You were the guy who inquired about heatsinks for the RAM on your GPU. Did you ever get that figured out?

In his defense, RichPLS, apparently his geographical location makes it very difficult to get quality PC parts and I believe RadioShack was one of the better alternatives (not that anybody was being rude).

Those temps you indicated for your video card are actually fairly normal for GPUs and I don't think it would be worth the time and trouble to take apart the heatsink and apply the thermal paste from RadioShack.

However, if you've got spare time on yours hands, and you follow RichPLS advice to the letter, paste away!!
Related resources
March 15, 2006 2:12:01 AM

unfortunately, i didn't get anything done for the GPU memory cos there was nowhere to mount heatsinks of any sort (and i don't think the thermal paste would keep it on there)

oh yeah, i meant 12 hours, but i said 24 hours by mistake, anyway, gtg to school now

Ara
March 15, 2006 2:19:41 AM

I have some cheap generic white paste on both my CPUs. No problems at all. Factory heatsink / fans too. No OCing.

Intel P4 Northwood @ 30c
AMD 3700+ @ 32c
!