REPOST: System Tray program icons not appearing for startu..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello everybody.

I have a few programs that load on Windows startup - some places an
entry in the Registry, others a shortcut in Startup folder in the Start
Menu. When these programs load, they place themselves as a System Tray
icon. After a few sessions, these programs icons stop appearing in
System Tray on startup. The corresponding programs continue to load on
startup and I can see them running when I look in Windows Task Manager's
Processes tab, just no tray icons. The only way I can get the icons
back in System Tray is to stop the process in Task Manager and reload
each program manually, but when my computer reboots, the situation
repeats itself. Sometimes even the unplugged Local Area Connection icon
doesn't show up in system tray when my LAN cable is unplugged on
startup. Sometimes when Windows Explorer crashes and reloads itself
immediately after, some of these tray icons will reappear, but not
always. This doesn't happen to programs I manually load after Windows
finishes booting up.

This issue has actually been going on since before SP1 (I have installed
SP2) and happens to all my computers. What is causing the system tray
icons to not appear when my programs load on startup and is there a fix?

Thank you so much.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Uncheck the "Hide inactive icons" option. Right click on the start button.
Then click properties, then the tasbar tab and the box is down the bottom.
While a program may be loaded that doesn't mean it's active. In other words
it isn't using any CPU time so it's seen as inactive. {]:~)

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Troubleshooting the Notification Area
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na

Troubleshooting the Volume Control Icon
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_v.htm#volume

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP

"PhiL M." <@.com.hk> wrote in message
> Hello everybody.
>
> I have a few programs that load on Windows startup - some places an
> entry in the Registry, others a shortcut in Startup folder in the Start
> Menu. When these programs load, they place themselves as a System Tray
> icon. After a few sessions, these programs icons stop appearing in
> System Tray on startup. The corresponding programs continue to load on
> startup and I can see them running when I look in Windows Task Manager's
> Processes tab, just no tray icons. The only way I can get the icons
> back in System Tray is to stop the process in Task Manager and reload
> each program manually, but when my computer reboots, the situation
> repeats itself. Sometimes even the unplugged Local Area Connection icon
> doesn't show up in system tray when my LAN cable is unplugged on
> startup. Sometimes when Windows Explorer crashes and reloads itself
> immediately after, some of these tray icons will reappear, but not
> always. This doesn't happen to programs I manually load after Windows
> finishes booting up.
>
> This issue has actually been going on since before SP1 (I have installed
> SP2) and happens to all my computers. What is causing the system tray
> icons to not appear when my programs load on startup and is there a fix?
>
> Thank you so much.

This also happens to me with the Volume icon EVERY time I restart, and
sometimes with the other running program icons. My Control Panel settings are
axactly as you state they should be, but still I have the problem. I am going
to check out the links you listed and see if I can solve the problem that
way. Wish me luck!

DJ