iPhone 5 Meets 2-Year-Old with Instructions for Destruction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphi

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
well done mom, now this kid is either going to grow up hating large multinational corporations or having no respect or appreciation for the value of things.....

Duh. Tempered glass will resist scuffs better, but be more brittle compared to aluminum.
The main concern would be the denting; if that kid could dent the case in a few under-powered attempts, this will be pretty bad if the phone were to be dropped. Dents mean potential internal damage.
IDK who does the anodizing process for Apple, but it seems like a piss-poor job to me. I have cheap flashlights with anodized aluminum bodies that can take a lot more damage than that and still look better. Maybe they cut some corners in order to cut costs, something that would not surprise me a bit from Apple. That case looks more like it was painted, not anodized.
I have yet to see an iPhone owner with the phone uncased; they seem to brag about how pretty their device is, but then hide it away for fear of damage.
Seems to me that high-quality plastic, polycarbonate, TPS or carbon fiber are the materials to go with for long-lasting phone panels.

captainblacko

Honorable
May 21, 2012
the majority of iphone users seem to spend ££/$$'s on those snap on cases anyway. Why would apple waste money manufacturing something which will most likely get covered....or was this apples plan all along......

[citation][nom]alphi[/nom]well done mom, now this kid is either going to grow up hating large multinational corporations or having no respect or appreciation for the value of things.....[/citation]
LOL...
Hating large multinational corporations? What's wrong with that?
Appreciation for the value of things? Come on! That is entirely subjective. Value is what something is worth to someone, something perceived. For instance, some people would say the value of that phone is high, e=whereas others will say it's worthless. Unless you mistake value for price...

camel82

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
IMHO the tradeoff "better scratched than cracked" is not bad.
And anyway it is better Al or gorilla glass than plastic, until someone starts using Glock polymer for phones, which seems quite overklilling to me (pun intended).

fuzznarf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]LOL...Hating large multinational corporations? What's wrong with that?[/citation]
You probably don't drive a car or take the bus, ride a bike, use a phone, a computer, watch tv, listen to the radio, read newspapers or books, or do anything else that has made your daily life a breeze by those large multinational corporations that provide goods and services man wants, needs, and desires. Companies only get big by providing something that people want. Not one business have ever succeeded in proving this concept wrong.

innocent bystander

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Awesome video.

I'd love to see what she does to the rest of the electronics in the house now that she's been conditioned that rubbing the iPhone with a set of keys and a steel ring is "cool"

"WOW, daddy's football trophy! 60" Plasma TV!... this will be even more awesome than the iPhone with the keys! I can't wait for the praise I'm going to get for this one!!!"

IB

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Yeah... that is something I never quite understood about many phone owners, especially iPhones.

"Wow, its so pretty - lets protect it by putting it in a rubber-plastic nuke-proof case" I've never owned a case. Yeah, my phone will get dropped (shortest record for me was 3 steps out of the Phone store) - My Galaxy S1 has some dented/wear on its plastic edges from 2 years of keys, drops, etc - but nothing like this.

The Nokia Lumia 820 kind of has it RIGHT - the whole case is replaceable. the basic phone is just a black box that NEEDS a case... a lot of aftermarket goodies will come out for that one.

Shouldn't the anodized aluminum handle a bit more roughhousing before taking the damage? The iPhone5 has a nice texture... not as smooth as typical anodized aluminum.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Shouldn't the anodized aluminum handle a bit more roughhousing before taking the damage?[/citation]
For anodizing to 'stick', the surface on which it is applied at least has to be stiff enough to prevent impacts from digging into it. If the surface is too soft, sharp edges will carve into it and scrape the anodizing off. Even the best anodizing job is only as good as the surface it is applied to.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]captainblacko[/nom]the majority of iphone users seem to spend ££/$$'s on those snap on cases anyway. Why would apple waste money manufacturing something which will most likely get covered....or was this apples plan all along......[/citation]
And Android people don't use cases? Oh wait I see it everyday! I find it hard to believe that all these companies would make cases for Android if no one bought them!
- Stop the Hate.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Anyone who has an ipod touch knows that the back gets scratched practically just by looking at the thing (I had mine--I think it was 3rd gen-- in a case its entire existence, and just from inserting and removing it from the case, the back is scratched/scuffed as if it had been abused and never used in a case).

Regardless, now that people know how prone the anodized aluminum is to being scratched, they'll put it in a case. Not that you generally see people with iphones using it without a case, so all of this discussion of case scratching is pretty funny to watch. But in the end, I'd rather have a phone case made out of metal that has a scratch-prone anodized surface than a phone with glass on the front and back that can shatter when it's dropped...

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]And Android people don't use cases? Oh wait I see it everyday! I find it hard to believe that all these companies would make cases for Android if no one bought them! - Stop the Hate.[/citation]
The fact that Android users use cases as well in no way changes the point that was being made; that iPhone users brag incessantly about how good looking their devices are and how important that is, then promptly hide the device behind a case for the entire time they own it.

You'll also see lots of iPhone fans taking shots at the larger Android devices, about how the phone is too big for human hands, etc. etc.. Ever seen an iPhone in an OtterBox? It's bigger than most Android phones, even the really fat ones like the Thunderbolt.

G

At work, can't see the video, post pics, or host the video on Tom's site please!

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I actually was about to get the iphone 5 but went and played with it in the apple store and was under whelmed. I'm sticking with my iphone 4, didn't even bother with the 4s.

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Maybe they should have tried e-coating or powder coating for the back. A porcelanized powder coating maybe should have looked alright even

Status
Not open for further replies.