MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
78845 is my ID
http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/78845.png

Heres the result of my first try at over clocking the 4200x2 and my second overclock overall, not to bad. it runs prime stable and im only using a cheapy $15 gigabyte hsf! With some better cooling and some tweaking I think I could get to 2.8! Any tips on how to get it to 2.8?? I know i need some better cooling first.

Are you running 1:1 w/ your RAM? If so, you might want to try and change the divider on your RAM and increase the voltages to your CPU/RAM. I've hit 2.7GHz on my 3700+ w/ Stock heatsink, but I just ordered the Thermaltake CL-P0024 w/ 4 Vantec 92mm 111CFM. (Don't ask how I'm doing this, I'm a Mad Modder ;)) I plan 3GHz w/ that @ 1:1 w/ my PC4000 RAM.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
How is a video card gonna help with overclocking? And yes im running my mem 1:1, the memory is 2x1gig OCZ Gold DDR500 so i have some headroom with memory it should be fine 1:1 up to 2.75ghz(250x11) and im sure it can go a little further than 250 probably around 265 or so with more voltage. I think my mobo may be limiting me I can only go up to 2.86v on the memory, its a MSI K8N Neo 2(nf3 250) so its a little old but a good OC board nonetheless.

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
2.7 from a 3700 is pretty nice on stock cooling but i think the single cores oc'd a bit better than the duals?? i run my 4200x2 at 2.6ghz for everyday use, I was really just interested in seeing what it can do, no reason to push it its plenty fast at 2.6 with 2gigs and a raptor74. Cant wait to see what AMD comesout with next to battel the Conroe.

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Because my regular system is a 3800x2 but i had this 4200x2 laying around so i descided to try it , i will probably end up keeping the 4200x2 and selling the 3800x2 since I can get it to run 2.7 stable and the 3800 only did 2.5 or so.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
i had this 4200x2 laying around

LOL! That is the most hillarious statement ever... LOL

But we suggest the video card cuz it seems like you're running a 9250...and uhm...that card sux -.-.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I still dont understand what a video card is gonna do?? if anyone can explain tis it would be cool.
thanks

Are you a Gamer? If not, why are you overclocking -.-. I can see a point if you do alot of Multi-Tasking or other dedicated apps, but I say get a new Video Card so GAMES perform better, provided you are a gamer.

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Not a gamer, just do alot of audio/video encoding and recording and wanted the best performance, plus its just fun to see what the cpu is capable of.

One question that isnt about overclocking. I am setting up a htpc system and i need a monitor. I want to watch dvds, digital cable as well as my pc on this monitor nd i want something in the 27in range. Whats the best way to go?? An LCD tv with a DVI input can be had for around $700 or so, but im not sure the picture will be sharp when using the computer. The other choice is one of the big 30in monitrs like the Dell Ultrasharp or the Apple both of which are over $2000. Is the extra money really worth it??

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I would go with a 27" LCD, the quality is great for watching Movies and my 19" LCD is perfectly fine for regular PC usage.

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Sure... OCing a cpu to help with audio/video encoding, but you don't have at least an Audigy soundcard to help with playback and audio encoding/playback, and the videocard is dire, even for normal use. An ATI X800GTO or Nvidia 6600GT would be the best if you don't do heavy gaming now (especially on the recent games, but those cards will play most games anyway, just not on full graphical settings...) and yet want awesome performance on everything, and considering the prices now for them, you can't go wrong. On getting the cpu to 2.8, you'll need either a zalman CNPS9500, or a thermalright heatsink with a powerful fan on it, or if you have the time and money, to go watercooling....

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
man I think that rocks that you are not a gamer. Almost everyone here is and it is nice to see that ppl use comps for something other that games when oc'ing. If you really do not use the comp for games then by all means, dont worry about a vid card. I still hold that computer modding and oc'ing is like hotrodding a car. And in this case, like cars there are many different takes on the same idea. "modded" cars dont always have to include a ratted out engine, or sweet paint, or stylin interior... it can be some, none or all of that. Yours is a nice fresh look at why you need to oc. While games benefit, I am sure that your video encoding just screams w/ that oc, and you see a much more tangible benefit than us gamers... (not that we dont do those things w/ our comps, just not as a primary function)

for added info try this link... you prb already know most of it based on what you have so far but something in there may help...

Very nice oc though man, very nice.

oh, and if you are going to have that 3800 "laying around" after this go ahead and send it to me... I'll make sure it doesnt lay around over at my place. :wink:

EDIT:
if you want movie playback, then a new vid card would help... the new line from ati w/ AVIVO is nice for that. If that is all you want try one of the x1300 cards as the newest drivers from ati show a HUGE benefit over any other card for movie/tv playback... (sucks at most games, but you dont do that so it should work great for you) just a thought. rock on.

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Sure... OCing a cpu to help with audio/video encoding, but you don't have at least an Audigy soundcard to help with playback and audio encoding/playback, and the videocard is dire, even for normal use. An ATI X800GTO or Nvidia 6600GT would be the best if you don't do heavy gaming now (especially on the recent games, but those cards will play most games anyway, just not on full graphical settings...) and yet want awesome performance on everything, and considering the prices now for them, you can't go wrong. On getting the cpu to 2.8, you'll need either a zalman CNPS9500, or a thermalright heatsink with a powerful fan on it, or if you have the time and money, to go watercooling....

Yeah i have it OC'd just to get some more performance when doing recording and encoding and such. I dont have a Creative Audigy because personally In my opinion they are garbage. If you want good sound quality your much better of with a seperate USB DAC or at the very least an M-audio Audiophile 24/192 and a pair of active studio monitors. The sound equipment made specifically for PC's almost all sucks.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Why does he need a better card? the 9250 will work fine on 2D, which is what he needs.

As for the Air Cooler, the Zalman is nice and quiet ( have one), so are the Thermalright ones, and the Scythe Ninja seems to be popular and good as well, along with the TT Soniq Tower.

Not everyone is a gamer. I don't game much, I just enjoy pushing computers. It's nice to see others interested in it as well.

What kind of sound card do you have? I'd highly recomend something along the lines of an Audigy or X-Fi if you're doing audio encoding, just for the clairity of the reproduction.

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
One question that isnt about overclocking. I am setting up a htpc system and i need a monitor. I want to watch dvds, digital cable as well as my pc on this monitor nd i want something in the 27in range. Whats the best way to go?? An LCD tv with a DVI input can be had for around $700 or so, but im not sure the picture will be sharp when using the computer. The other choice is one of the big 30in monitrs like the Dell Ultrasharp or the Apple both of which are over $2000. Is the extra money really worth it??

I recently bought an Olevia LT26HVX for $750!!! It doesn't have an HDTV tuner built in but does have DVI, VGA, and many other options. It is awesome for games, movies or whatever!!!

The reason I chose it was for the price vs. contrast ratio 1600:1

Most everything that cheap has a low contrast ratio. You want to go with at least 700:1, this is just an opinion but look at SAMSUNG or other brand names with a high contrast ratio, and compare them to ones with a lower like 500:1, then you will see what I mean :)

Imperfectcircle25 wrote:
i had this 4200x2 laying around

LOL! That is the most hillarious statement ever... LOL

It must be nice to have high dollar processors just laying around!!! :lol:

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
I get the processors from a guy I know who gets computers and eletronics that are damaged during shipping. I get dual cores for very very cheap!

I am thinking about the Veiwsonic 27in LCD. But Tigerdirect has this one for $449!
26in lcd $449

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
I am thinking about the Veiwsonic 27in LCD. But Tigerdirect has this one for $449!
26in lcd $449

That's cool man.

Hey about that overclock. I have a 4400 and I had 3GB RAM (2x1GB, 2x512MB), and I couldn't OC it above 2.5Ghz (stock is 2.2), HOWEVER...

a couple of guys helped me out, I still don't totally understand it but probably something to do with bandwidth, anyhow....

I removed the 2x512 pair and raised my DRAM Voltage above the spec rating (from 2.75V to 3.00V), set my VCORE to 1.5V (default is 1.36V), set my HT Voltage up a notch, set my multiplier on 10 instead of 11, set my ram frequency to AUTO, turned off all caching, cool and quiet, and all that extra stuff, set my FSB to 270Ghz and BINGO!!! 2.7GHZ CPU Clock Speed.

You may have to mess with it some to get it where it will work for you, and I will say that there is a limt to the OC on an X2 processor just like any. 2.7 is as high as I can get it and get into windows and run programs. However Prime 95 fails quickly, but Windows has not inadvertantly crashed yet in 2 days time.

And here is another little tidbit of info... When I ran some Super Pi times, and Prime Benchies (which my X2 could complete, it just couldn't withstand the torture test - rounding expected 0.4 but was .49999999 error), my X2 came out faster @ 2.7Ghz than my PD 805 @ 3.73Ghz!!! Probably partly due to the extra 1MB Cache I suppose)

2.6Ghz may be the limit for your 4200, but it certainly won't hurt to try a little more!

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
According to your CPUZ validation, are at 2694 now dude. That IS 2.7Ghz right now.

Try Prime 95 out if you haven't before, and read the text files about it. Then YOU decide if you want to run your rig at that speed for the sake of error probability... :)