Epson R300 Ink Options

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
January 1, 2005 3:59:15 AM

It's time to start replacing ink cartridges in my Epson R300
and I'd like to narrow down my options. Spending more than
the printer costs on a new set of factory inks is not an option.

Please help me out by recommending one of the following
options. I'm especially interested in any products that are
sold in Canada.

The continuous feed systems look great especially since I do
a fair bit of colour printing. The kit from InkRepublic
looks good except for a couple things:
-That Daisy person shamelessly plugging the product in this
newsgroup is a complete turnoff. It makes me want to avoid
Ink Republic altogether.
-Cost. Twice the price of a full set of inks is pretty pricey.
Can someone recommend a continuous feed system?

Aftermarket ink cartridges. Easy enough to work with but
they really aren't a huge savings.

Refill kits. I don't mind a little work but the sheer number
of companies selling similar items has me lost.

Anyhow. All opinions are appreciated and respected except
for that Daisy shill.

Thanks,
Andrew

More about : epson r300 ink options

Anonymous
January 1, 2005 3:59:16 AM

Do you have the website for inkrepublc? or they are only a retail store
in canada?
what pricy is pricy? you said their system is twice the price of 6
color cartridges? for me it is "fair", since I buy about 6 - 8 sets of
full cartridges every month. Print a lot of CD and DVD covers with my
R200. can you provide me more informatoin or where I can obtain such
system in the States. thank you
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 3:59:17 AM

"Ronald1967" <ronaldamer1967@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Do you have the website for inkrepublc? or they are only a retail store
> in canada?
> what pricy is pricy? you said their system is twice the price of 6
> color cartridges? for me it is "fair", since I buy about 6 - 8 sets of
> full cartridges every month. Print a lot of CD and DVD covers with my
> R200. can you provide me more informatoin or where I can obtain such
> system in the States. thank you

you can search on ebay for "R200 Continuous" adn there are some systems
there; don't know about the quality .. you might also read
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=241206&s...

but www.inkrepublic.com is the other website
January 1, 2005 5:08:48 AM

"Andrew" <andreweXXremoveXX@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:D BmBd.657462$%k.88814@pd7tw2no...
> It's time to start replacing ink cartridges in my Epson R300 and I'd like
> to narrow down my options. Spending more than the printer costs on a new
> set of factory inks is not an option.
>
> Please help me out by recommending one of the following options. I'm
> especially interested in any products that are sold in Canada.

=====================

Can't speak for Canada - but I can tell you that the 'pattern' ink
cartridges here in the UK are first class, and are a fraction of the cost of
genuine Epson.

I use n R300 and buy complete sets of six 'no brand' cartridges for £14 -
compared with an Epson original cost of about £10 each!

I've used over a dozen sets, and never had a single problem with them,
photo's are hardly distinguishable from ones printed with original Epson
ink - and at such a low price it's print, print, print...

Interestingly, I'm waiting for delivery of an R200 which was on sale for
£49.99. This comes with six genuine Epson cartridges valued at £60 - so,
effectively, the printer is more than free (if you see what I mean) This
shows just how big a rip-off the 'genuine' ink cartridge market is.

Oh, I also use non-genuine cartridges in an Epson C60, costing less than
£3.50 for a Black & Colour set - and, again, not a single problem.
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 5:28:03 AM

Go buy 3rd party ink and take a chance of clogging the print head. I do
not think it is really worth the risk unless you print a lot and plan on
upgrading you printer every year.

Andrew wrote:

> It's time to start replacing ink cartridges in my Epson R300 and I'd
> like to narrow down my options. Spending more than the printer costs
> on a new set of factory inks is not an option.
>
> Please help me out by recommending one of the following options. I'm
> especially interested in any products that are sold in Canada.
>
> The continuous feed systems look great especially since I do a fair
> bit of colour printing. The kit from InkRepublic looks good except for
> a couple things:
> -That Daisy person shamelessly plugging the product in this newsgroup
> is a complete turnoff. It makes me want to avoid Ink Republic altogether.
> -Cost. Twice the price of a full set of inks is pretty pricey.
> Can someone recommend a continuous feed system?
>
> Aftermarket ink cartridges. Easy enough to work with but they really
> aren't a huge savings.
>
> Refill kits. I don't mind a little work but the sheer number of
> companies selling similar items has me lost.
>

> Anyhow. All opinions are appreciated and respected except for that
> Daisy shill.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 5:43:48 AM

> Go buy 3rd party ink and take a chance of clogging the print head. I do
> not think it is really worth the risk unless you print a lot and plan on
> upgrading you printer every year.<

This must rate as one of the most touted of all urban myths - I've always
owned Epson printers (starting with the old stylus 300) and have always used
3rd party (we call it 'pattern') ink and have NEVER had a print head block,
EVER

Perhaps I've been exceptionally lucky - but I doubt it. I don't know anyone
else who's had problems with pattern inks either.

Besides - suppose the heads DID block after, say, 5 or 6 replacements - you
would have already saved more than cost of a new printer by not using the
outrageously priced Epson cartridges. However, as I've said, the heads
don't block - and the savings just keep mounting up.

My honest advice to anyone hesitating about using pattern inks is just go
for it - you'll never pay Epson prices again.
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 2:27:37 PM

Ishmael wrote:
> "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Go buy 3rd party ink and take a chance of clogging the print head. I do
>> not think it is really worth the risk unless you print a lot
>> and plan on upgrading you printer every year.<
>

> This must rate as one of the most touted of all urban myths - I've
> always owned Epson printers (starting with the old stylus 300) and
> have always used 3rd party (we call it 'pattern') ink and have NEVER
> had a print head block, EVER
>
> Perhaps I've been exceptionally lucky - but I doubt it. I don't know
> anyone else who's had problems with pattern inks either.
>
> Besides - suppose the heads DID block after, say, 5 or 6 replacements
> - you would have already saved more than cost of a new printer by not
> using the outrageously priced Epson cartridges. However, as I've
> said, the heads don't block - and the savings just keep mounting up.
>
> My honest advice to anyone hesitating about using pattern inks is
> just go for it - you'll never pay Epson prices again.

I second that---i refilled my Canon i550 for a year and a half. When print
head died, i thought it's because of refilling, but later i found out that
many heads die after similar period on Canon's... But in 18 months i saved
more than the price of new ip4000, so i'm not really pissed in any way. I
have better printer now and i didn't lost a thing.
January 1, 2005 6:20:43 PM

www.inkcycle.co.uk
www.choicestationary.com

"Andrew" <andreweXXremoveXX@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:D BmBd.657462$%k.88814@pd7tw2no...
> It's time to start replacing ink cartridges in my Epson R300
> and I'd like to narrow down my options. Spending more than
> the printer costs on a new set of factory inks is not an option.
>
> Please help me out by recommending one of the following
> options. I'm especially interested in any products that are
> sold in Canada.
>
> The continuous feed systems look great especially since I do
> a fair bit of colour printing. The kit from InkRepublic
> looks good except for a couple things:
> -That Daisy person shamelessly plugging the product in this
> newsgroup is a complete turnoff. It makes me want to avoid
> Ink Republic altogether.
> -Cost. Twice the price of a full set of inks is pretty pricey.
> Can someone recommend a continuous feed system?
>
> Aftermarket ink cartridges. Easy enough to work with but
> they really aren't a huge savings.
>
> Refill kits. I don't mind a little work but the sheer number
> of companies selling similar items has me lost.
>

> Anyhow. All opinions are appreciated and respected except
> for that Daisy shill.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 8:56:34 PM

Is the quality of the ink in 3rd party cartridges as good as epson.I
just got a r200
John.H.

--

* Magic Is Believing In Yourself*

*if you can do that*

* You Can Make Anything Happen *
January 1, 2005 10:11:59 PM

Thanks for the info Ishmael. I'll look into pattern inks.
BTW. I had thought that all new printers came with ink
cartridges that are only partially full. I know this is true
for HP printers but had thought it was the same for all.

Ishmael wrote:
> "Andrew" <andreweXXremoveXX@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> news:D BmBd.657462$%k.88814@pd7tw2no...
>
>>It's time to start replacing ink cartridges in my Epson R300 and I'd like
>>to narrow down my options. Spending more than the printer costs on a new
>>set of factory inks is not an option.
>>
>>Please help me out by recommending one of the following options. I'm
>>especially interested in any products that are sold in Canada.
>

> =====================
>
> Can't speak for Canada - but I can tell you that the 'pattern' ink
> cartridges here in the UK are first class, and are a fraction of the cost of
> genuine Epson.
>
> I use n R300 and buy complete sets of six 'no brand' cartridges for £14 -
> compared with an Epson original cost of about £10 each!
>
> I've used over a dozen sets, and never had a single problem with them,
> photo's are hardly distinguishable from ones printed with original Epson
> ink - and at such a low price it's print, print, print...
>
> Interestingly, I'm waiting for delivery of an R200 which was on sale for
> £49.99. This comes with six genuine Epson cartridges valued at £60 - so,
> effectively, the printer is more than free (if you see what I mean) This
> shows just how big a rip-off the 'genuine' ink cartridge market is.
>
> Oh, I also use non-genuine cartridges in an Epson C60, costing less than
> £3.50 for a Black & Colour set - and, again, not a single problem.

January 1, 2005 10:20:26 PM

I don't have the website on hand and I've never seen and Ink
Republic store. You can get the website through that
'Daisy's' posts though I hate to recommend that. A company
that shamelessly plugs its products in a newsgroup does not
get my business.

The continuous feed kits costs CDN$220 and a full set of
epson brand cartridges cost $110. I can get new, aftermarket
ink sets for $45 and a complete refill kit (for 12 refills)
costs about $110 which includes special ink tanks and a chip
resetting tool.

I am leaning towards the refilling kit as it seems to be by
far the most cost effective.

I'm not too worried about the print heads plugging up or my
printer being ruined as others have suggested. The savings
on ink costs will easily make up for any shortened life (if
any) of the printer.

Andrew

Ronald1967 wrote:
> Do you have the website for inkrepublc? or they are only a retail store
> in canada?
> what pricy is pricy? you said their system is twice the price of 6
> color cartridges? for me it is "fair", since I buy about 6 - 8 sets of
> full cartridges every month. Print a lot of CD and DVD covers with my
> R200. can you provide me more informatoin or where I can obtain such
> system in the States. thank you

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 12:12:07 AM

NJ, Andrew,

Thanks for all of your information. I found InkRepublic.com's site by
NJ's post. I personally do not care company's marketing strategy, I
only care if their system works or not. I quickly reviwe their site, it
is a very interesting design. I would like to know if anybody here
tried out their product? any information is appreciated.

Andrew wrote:
> I don't have the website on hand and I've never seen and Ink
> Republic store. You can get the website through that
> 'Daisy's' posts though I hate to recommend that. A company
> that shamelessly plugs its products in a newsgroup does not
> get my business.
>
> The continuous feed kits costs CDN$220 and a full set of
> epson brand cartridges cost $110. I can get new, aftermarket
> ink sets for $45 and a complete refill kit (for 12 refills)
> costs about $110 which includes special ink tanks and a chip
> resetting tool.
>
> I am leaning towards the refilling kit as it seems to be by
> far the most cost effective.
>
> I'm not too worried about the print heads plugging up or my
> printer being ruined as others have suggested. The savings
> on ink costs will easily make up for any shortened life (if
> any) of the printer.
>
> Andrew
>
> Ronald1967 wrote:
> > Do you have the website for inkrepublc? or they are only a retail
store
> > in canada?
> > what pricy is pricy? you said their system is twice the price of 6
> > color cartridges? for me it is "fair", since I buy about 6 - 8 sets
of
> > full cartridges every month. Print a lot of CD and DVD covers with
my
> > R200. can you provide me more informatoin or where I can obtain
such
> > system in the States. thank you

January 2, 2005 2:24:12 AM

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 02:28:03 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Go buy 3rd party ink and take a chance of clogging the print head. I do
>not think it is really worth the risk unless you print a lot and plan on
>upgrading you printer every year.

Who cares?

Printers are so cheap now that they're basically disposable. Use 3rd
party ink and if the heads clog, huck the printer in a bin and buy a
new one - you'll only pay about $20-30 more for a brand new printer
than the price of a complete set of replacement ink anyway.
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 2:39:25 AM

Someone wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 02:28:03 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Go buy 3rd party ink and take a chance of clogging the print head. I do
>>not think it is really worth the risk unless you print a lot and plan on
>>upgrading you printer every year.
>

> Who cares?
>
> Printers are so cheap now that they're basically disposable. Use 3rd
> party ink and if the heads clog, huck the printer in a bin and buy a
> new one - you'll only pay about $20-30 more for a brand new printer
> than the price of a complete set of replacement ink anyway.

-- your right I just bought a R200 for $78.97 plus tax.The cartridges
at epson cost 78.79 plus shipping.

* Magic Is Believing In Yourself*

*if you can do that*

* You Can Make Anything Happen *
January 2, 2005 3:06:27 AM

Just FYI, this is the best ink refill system I have found.
It's from Atlantic Inkjet in Canada and was the only system
I found that includes special ink cartridges that are easier
to fill than the Epson tanks.

http://tinyurl.com/6ydtw
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 1:07:10 PM

John H. wrote:
> Is the quality of the ink in 3rd party cartridges as good as epson.I
> just got a r200
> John.H.

As far as i printed with my i550, i never saw any difference. But, there
remains the question of durability and here we could lead a loooong thread
here...
i guess if you use quality third-party ink, it should last quite long, too.

> SleeperMan wrote:
>> Ishmael wrote:
>>
>>> "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> This must rate as one of the most touted of all urban myths - I've
>>> always owned Epson printers (starting with the old stylus 300) and
>>> have always used 3rd party (we call it 'pattern') ink and have NEVER
>>> had a print head block, EVER
>>>
>>> Perhaps I've been exceptionally lucky - but I doubt it. I don't
>>> know anyone else who's had problems with pattern inks either.
>>>
>>> Besides - suppose the heads DID block after, say, 5 or 6
>>> replacements - you would have already saved more than cost of a new
>>> printer by not using the outrageously priced Epson cartridges. However,
>>> as I've said, the heads don't block - and the savings just
>>> keep mounting up. My honest advice to anyone hesitating about using
>>> pattern inks is
>>> just go for it - you'll never pay Epson prices again.
>>

>> I second that---i refilled my Canon i550 for a year and a half. When
>> print head died, i thought it's because of refilling, but later i
>> found out that many heads die after similar period on Canon's... But
>> in 18 months i saved more than the price of new ip4000, so i'm not
>> really pissed in any way. I have better printer now and i didn't
>> lost a thing.
January 2, 2005 8:01:06 PM

You might want to take a look at this system. I like it the
best because it includes new, easier to refill, ink tanks.
Once you've used up the provided ink they sell the inks
seperately and in several different sizes.

Ronald1967 wrote:
> NJ, Andrew,
>
> Thanks for all of your information. I found InkRepublic.com's site by
> NJ's post. I personally do not care company's marketing strategy, I
> only care if their system works or not. I quickly reviwe their site, it
> is a very interesting design. I would like to know if anybody here
> tried out their product? any information is appreciated.
>
> Andrew wrote:
>
>>I don't have the website on hand and I've never seen and Ink
>>Republic store. You can get the website through that
>>'Daisy's' posts though I hate to recommend that. A company
>>that shamelessly plugs its products in a newsgroup does not
>>get my business.
>>
>>The continuous feed kits costs CDN$220 and a full set of
>>epson brand cartridges cost $110. I can get new, aftermarket
>>ink sets for $45 and a complete refill kit (for 12 refills)
>>costs about $110 which includes special ink tanks and a chip
>>resetting tool.
>>
>>I am leaning towards the refilling kit as it seems to be by
>>far the most cost effective.
>>
>>I'm not too worried about the print heads plugging up or my
>>printer being ruined as others have suggested. The savings
>>on ink costs will easily make up for any shortened life (if
>>any) of the printer.
>>
>>Andrew
>>
>>Ronald1967 wrote:
>>
>>>Do you have the website for inkrepublc? or they are only a retail
>
> store
>
>>>in canada?
>>>what pricy is pricy? you said their system is twice the price of 6
>>>color cartridges? for me it is "fair", since I buy about 6 - 8 sets
>
> of
>
>>>full cartridges every month. Print a lot of CD and DVD covers with
>
> my
>
>>>R200. can you provide me more informatoin or where I can obtain
>
> such
>
>>>system in the States. thank you

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 4:51:07 PM

Andrew, thank you. I got all the information from this page:
http://www.inkrepublic.com/installation.asp
no description, but their pictures tell me everything.
I think you are right, I can choose my own ink if using their system. I
can use cheaper ink from atlanticinkjet and use inkrepublic's CIS.
January 4, 2005 8:47:16 AM

Good luck with your new ink system. If you're inclined send
me an e-mail to let me know how it works out. I still think
the Atlantic system is cheaper but I'm willing to do the
messy work [filling cartridges] to save the money. The
remote ink system des have the cool factor going for it though.

Hopefully my new inks will be here this week. I can't
believe that my entire printer goes inoperable when one ink
tank is empty.

Andrew

!