Using USB printer in MS-DOS prompt?

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.win95.msdosapps (More info?)

Hello people.

I will be getting a new printer soon, and since everything is going to
USB , and I still use MS-DOS applications, I have a question:

Is it possible to use an USB printer under a MS-DOS window under Windows
98?

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Canoas, Brazil - 29.55° S / 51.11° W / GMT-
2h / 15m

"Now: the 3-bit processor, with instructions:
1. NOP - does nothing, increase PC. / 2. HLT - does nothing, doesn't
increase PC
3. MMX - enter Pentium(r) emulation mode; increase PC / 4. LCK - before
MMX: NOP ; after MMX: executes F0 0F C7 C8
5. HCF - Halt and Catch Fire / 6. EPI - Execute Programmer
7. DPC - Decrease PC"
5 answers Last reply
More about using printer prompt
  1. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.win95.msdosapps (More info?)

    "Chaos Master" <e-mail@is.INVALID> wrote in message

    > Is it possible to use an USB printer under a MS-DOS window under Windows
    > 98?

    MS-DOS cannot recognize USB ports. In theory the
    MS-DOS OS could be rewritten in order to recognize
    USB ports, but Windows has already done that for you
    (but not for the MS-DOS it incorporates.)

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Chaos Master wrote:
    > Hello people.
    >
    > I will be getting a new printer soon, and since everything is going to
    > USB , and I still use MS-DOS applications, I have a question:
    >
    > Is it possible to use an USB printer under a MS-DOS window under
    > Windows 98?
    >
    > []s

    TTBOMK, no, that's why I still have my trusty Epson SC900 for DOS printing.
    on salads.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.win95.msdosapps (More info?)

    Not sure if Win98 can do this, but with XP and 2000, I've been able to share
    the USB printer, then run a net use command and map LPT port to the shared
    printer. So, in essence you are mapping the printer to yourself.

    Should work.

    Then go
    "Chaos Master" <e-mail@is.INVALID> wrote in message
    > Hello people.
    >
    > I will be getting a new printer soon, and since everything is going to
    > USB , and I still use MS-DOS applications, I have a question:
    >
    > Is it possible to use an USB printer under a MS-DOS window under Windows
    > 98?
    >
    > []s
    > --
    > Chaos Master®, posting from Canoas, Brazil - 29.55° S / 51.11° W / GMT-
    > 2h / 15m
    >

    > "Now: the 3-bit processor, with instructions:
    > 1. NOP - does nothing, increase PC. / 2. HLT - does nothing, doesn't
    > increase PC
    > 3. MMX - enter Pentium(r) emulation mode; increase PC / 4. LCK - before
    > MMX: NOP ; after MMX: executes F0 0F C7 C8
    > 5. HCF - Halt and Catch Fire / 6. EPI - Execute Programmer
    > 7. DPC - Decrease PC"
  4. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.win95.msdosapps (More info?)

    Take a look at http://www.dosprint.com/

    Chaos Master wrote:

    > Hello people.
    >
    > I will be getting a new printer soon, and since everything is going to
    > USB , and I still use MS-DOS applications, I have a question:
    >
    > Is it possible to use an USB printer under a MS-DOS window under Windows
    > 98?
    >
    > []s
  5. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.win95.msdosapps (More info?)

    On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 04:00:33 -0200, Chaos Master <e-mail@is.INVALID>
    wrote:

    >I will be getting a new printer soon, and since everything is going to
    >USB , and I still use MS-DOS applications, I have a question:
    >
    >Is it possible to use an USB printer under a MS-DOS window under Windows
    >98?

    Yes. See <http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/index.html>
    and <http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/anyprinter.html>
    That's specifically for WordPerfect 5, but will work for any DOS app.

Printers MS-DOS USB Peripherals