YankeeCandle

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
I have a system with 2GB of RAM and I want to know if there is a way for me to delete my Page File on Windows XP Pro x64, I think it would increase performance and since I have 2GB, I shouldn't have to worry about lack of memory.

YankeeCandle

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
I went to performance and set "No Page File", I rebooted, but Task Manager still says it's using 300MB of Page File. When I load a game, the PF goes up to 500MB still.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I have a system with 2GB of RAM and I want to know if there is a way for me to delete my Page File on Windows XP Pro x64, I think it would increase performance and since I have 2GB, I shouldn't have to worry about lack of memory.

Don't do it. Windows will crawl even with 2GB. For some reason it HAS to have a swap file. I believe it uses it for NT delay writes, where the OS doesn't always commit everything you save to the disk.

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
Don't do it. Windows will crawl even with 2GB.

Only if you have a page file. When I first upgraded to 1GB of RAM I disabled the page file and the UI in XP was much snappier because Windows could no longer swap out my applications in order to make the disk cache larger. Sadly, Premiere wouldn't run without a page file so I had to put it back.

Any operating system that will swap out Mozilla when I copy a 2GB file from one drive to another is just retarded: yay, the copy goes two seconds faster... and I have to wait thirty seconds for my web browser to swap back in. Even Win98 let you specify the maximum size of the disk cache, but XP will use up all available RAM if it feels like doing so.