Sign in with
Your question

Asus A8n premium wont post!!! PLEASE HELPPPPP!!!!

Last response: in CPUs
March 15, 2006 1:24:54 AM

Im moving tomorrow and Im going to carry my case with me as baggage... (not carry on of course)anyone of you guys have ever done this before? my case is a thermaltake soprano ...it's in the original box sealed(by myself). Any suggestions...? and I'm flying with AA... that was yesterday..

today I plugged my pc and it wont post... I get two types of beeps.. 1 long a 3 shorts and then 5 shorts..! My display shows no image as if the video card is not being detected or something.... When I opened the box of the case the HDD was loose inside the case and in fact It cutted a fan cable wich I of course fixed back... I dunno If the mobo took any damage from the loose hdd but I dont think so...

Ive tried unplug all the power cord and plugin them back, also to change the ram slots to use only one dimm etc... but I still get the same beeping and it wont post!

PLEASE HELP IM VERY FRUSTATED AT THIS POINT!
March 15, 2006 2:34:16 AM

Was the hard drive actually banging around freely inside the case? It wouldn't take much to damage one of the surface mount components on the board... chip a small resistor off or something like that. You should carefuly inspect the board surface to see if you can see any damage or missing components.
March 15, 2006 3:01:49 AM

well I did checked the components, being said resistors and all that and they look ok to me... ummm one of the pcix 1x slots is fairly damaged but nothing serious. I Still get the VGA TEST FAILED error everytime I try to no matter what I do...! Any suggestions? It seems this has happenned to many people but I cant find the exact correction please helpp!!!
Related resources
March 15, 2006 3:39:19 AM

Phoenix Bios Beep Codes

I couldn't find the beep codes on the Asus PDF for that board. Funny how the manual talks about it, and says look at the table below, and there's no table.

Anyhoo - I think you have a phoenix bios. Hard to say what it really is, from what you posted.

Though if it was AMI Bios, I did find it here, and same Phoenix Beeps:

Computer Post / Beep Codes

AMI bios -
1 long 3 short indicates - Conventional/Extended memory failure
5 short indicates - Process failure

That don't look pretty, but if should be a phoenix bios, so the error could be different.
March 15, 2006 3:49:59 AM

FYI there's a motherboard forum for this type of problem. I'm sure you'll get a more informed opinion there.

The CPU forum attracts a lot of "know it all" n00bs sometimes.

-mpjesse
March 15, 2006 11:11:39 AM

Quote:
well I did checked the components, being said resistors and all that and they look ok to me... ummm one of the pcix 1x slots is fairly damaged but nothing serious. I Still get the VGA TEST FAILED error everytime I try to no matter what I do...! Any suggestions? It seems this has happenned to many people but I cant find the exact correction please helpp!!!

First off... damaged board components are just the tip of the iceberg. A damaged pci-e slot can short internal wiring/contacts.

A hard drive bouncing around in a case can cause a lot of damage! To itself, and other components.

If your getting a VGA error, and the 1-3 beep code confirms this (Award BIOS), your video card needs reseating, or the board and/or it's memory is damaged.

The other beep code can do with either the video, or RAM.

Diagnosis:
Remove all hardware... test mobo with known good CPU and RAM (considering slot damage, and possible trace damage; I wouldn't bother). Test CPU and RAM on a KNOWN good mobo. Test Vid-card on known good mobo (probability of damage). Run Hard Drive manufacturers diagnostic program to test HDD for damage (betting on this too).

Summary:
If traveling, verify that ALL internals are locked in place with locks or screws. Remove heavy HSFs, etc and pack appropriately. Double box all components (expect a 400lb gorilla to handle your package). Your box has suffered $100s of dollars of damage. I'm sorry you have... but may this be a learning expirience too!
March 15, 2006 12:29:31 PM

Yes, I've built a friend's machine with a thermaltake soprano and it has a toolless mounting system for HD's. And it didn't seem to be too secure.

Looks like this one goes into the lessons learned category.
March 15, 2006 2:47:23 PM

I thought we told you to remove your hard drive, mister!

Be sure to re-seat (remove and reinstall) the following hardware components:

RAM
Video card
Any expansion card
March 15, 2006 4:58:21 PM

how do I reset the video card?? I removed it and installed it back but no luck...! I dunno really what to do.. I get the same vga error everytime and the mobo seems ok and so the video card ... ram etc. I think it has todo somthing with the video card cuz it says its a vga failure..I dunno and I dont have anyother pcix ccards to compare
March 15, 2006 5:29:53 PM

If your mother board has some kind of SLI ON/OFF switch make sure it is in the correct position.
March 15, 2006 5:33:11 PM

If your hard drive was loose enough to damage one of your slots...

Does that MB let you use the alternate PCIE slot? Have you tried that? I assume you have verified all the power cables are secure (including the PCIE cable if you use one).
March 15, 2006 6:03:27 PM

I tried with the two PCI E sli slots and nothing. I find hard to believe that both ports are damaged...! I guess im going to rma the video card and the mobo, get new ones, and forget about everything!
March 15, 2006 9:45:04 PM

Quote:
I tried with the two PCI E sli slots and nothing. I find hard to believe that both ports are damaged...! I guess im going to rma the video card and the mobo, get new ones, and forget about everything!

Asus boards have a card you need to flip based on single or dual video cards installed.
March 15, 2006 11:21:30 PM

Never mind. Too little to late
March 16, 2006 1:14:32 AM

I dont know where that switch is guys? I´ve never heard of it... how do u select the sli position? what do I have to flip.?? come on guys give some hope! :) 

my card image

I think the a8n premium doesnt have that switch...
March 16, 2006 1:38:53 AM

I re-downloaded the PDF. I don't see a switch on there.

I do see that it has a red led to indication if 2 cards are plugged in, and it lights up if the EZPlug isn't used. It turns off when the plug is used for 2 cards.

Seems as though the switch for this board is more software wise then a physical switch.

Asus AI app is used to change the mode, from what I could tell.

**Note in normal mode.. only the blue slot can be used.
**The PCI E black slot fuctions as a PCI E x1 slot.

Edit:

Trying to figure out the beep code still - one site refers this as far as award bios which I think is very close to discover the problem:

1 long 3 short -

Quote:
1 Long, then 3 Short Beeps: Video error

Explanation: The BIOS is unable to access the video system in order to write any error messages to the screen.

Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the video card, or the memory on the video card. It can also be a motherboard issue.

Recommendation:

* Troubleshoot the video card.
* If the video card is not at fault, troubleshoot the motherboard.

5 short, only thing I could find is -

Quote:
Any other beep(s) RAM problem.

Quote:
5 short CPU Failure. Replace the CPU or possibly the motherboard.

Asus doesn't provide any help. Very hard to say what 5 short beeps is telling him.
March 16, 2006 3:07:52 AM

Quote:
FYI there's a motherboard forum for this type of problem. I'm sure you'll get a more informed opinion there.

The CPU forum attracts a lot of "know it all" n00bs sometimes.

-mpjesse

Yeh, I can see what you're talking about now.
20 or so posts and still no anwser...

:cry: 

I was trying to be helpful.. geesh.

Though, I understand that this really should be on this part of the forum.
March 17, 2006 12:49:21 PM

well I took a more closer look at the mobo... and the plastic cover of one of the sli mode controller chips wich are located between the two pciE slots, is damaged (only half of the black cover of the chip is actually there)....

I installed another (working) video card just like the one I have and I got the same 1 long 3 short beeps... Or 5 shorts I dont know cuz it sounds like both... anywayz the girl voice of the mobo says "vga test failed"
today im going to install my video card on a friend´s computer to see if it works... regardless of the result now I know the mobo is damaged and I just want to check is the video card is ****ed up as well :)  so I rma both of them

Another thing... while manipulating my sandy (4000+) I accidentally dropped the chip and about 7 pins bended.. so I put them straigth again...I will work right? I mean... no broken pins.. just bended and "unbended" .
sorry for the english
March 17, 2006 9:30:07 PM

well thanx... right now my IM nick is "I destroy everything I touch"
!