Hard drive wont load windows xp..

Malarky506

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
Hey all, so I just put in a few value parts to upgrade my gf's comp here is what I got:

amd sempron 2800+
Asus 6800LE
ECS 760gx-m

now I had to buy a new power supply with that 4 pin connector to boot up the system but now after it performs the system checks and starts to load windows, just before the windows xp screen would come up, I get this black background with a blue box that takes up about 1/3 of the screen with a paragraph that disapears so fast I cant make out what it says. Then the com will restart and say Windows didnt start correctly...

Anyone know what kind of setting I have to change to make the hard drive load windows? Thanks

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
looks like you might be bluescreening with a hardware error.
first thing i would try is booting into safe mode if you get the same problem there i would start a new install of xp and choose the repair option. if that fails i would install windows over itself so i could back up any of her files and wipe it out and do a clean install

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Let me see if I understand. You changed the motherboard and CPU and tried to boot to an existing Windows installation which used the old motherboard? If so, that is most likely your problem. The drivers that your Windows is using are not the ones your new board uses, and there are conflicts. You would need to either boot to your Windows install disk and try a repair, or better yet, do a fresh reinstall.

DragonDoc

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Hey all, so I just put in a few value parts to upgrade my gf's comp here is what I got:

amd sempron 2800+
Asus 6800LE
ECS

now I had to buy a new power supply with that 4 pin connector to boot up the system but now after it performs the system checks and starts to load windows, just before the windows xp screen would come up, I get this black background with a blue box that takes up about 1/3 of the screen with a paragraph that disapears so fast I cant make out what it says. Then the com will restart and say Windows didnt start correctly...

Anyone know what kind of setting I have to change to make the hard drive load windows? Thanks

1 - Your new motherboard chipset is SiS® 760GX & 964. Your old motherboard chipset must be different.
Fix - Reload Windows :roll:

2 - Windows is looking for the drivers for the new hardware and can not find it - Reboot. Fix - Reload Windows :roll:

Posssible Fix = Try to boot into safe mode - Press F8 upon boot. If you can get into the safe mode, try and install the new motherboard and video card drivers. Reboot and see if that works. If that fails - reload windows.

One other thing to check is too make sure your motherboard accept the Sempron (64 bit). When AMD first made the Sempron64 motherboard BIOS' had to be updated (flashed). Checking ECS' web site it looks than BIOS Version: 1.1c accepts the Sempron64. What is the version of BIOS on your montherboard.

With all that said I'm sure it's only drivers by adding too many items at the same time XP-thinks its in a new computer.

Hope this helps :wink:

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
yep. generally when you're putting in a new mobo you do need to reinstall your os. except this one time the other day when i didn't need to for some strange reason... (going from the SiS 661FX to i915P).

TRENDING THREADS