Canon IP3000 - ink takes forever to dry!

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I just bought the Canon ip3000 to replace my 6 month old Canon S830D
(6 inks) that finally got a clogged black print head that I can't fix.
(anyone have hints on how to fix this? Constant 'cleaning' under
maintenance doesn't work, and I've also replaced the black ink
cartridge twice and it makes no difference. Nothing wrong with the
other 5 colors. Would be a shame to trash this printer just because
black doesn't work.)

I'm printing the same things as before, mostly graphics on 4x6 Kodak
semi gloss two sided paper, and Cd stomper glossy stickers. I never
had a problem on my S830D, the ink was dry instantly. Now, on the
ip3000, I'm finding that the black ink in particular takes forever to
dry and you can even see the black excess ink in spots when you hold
up the picture to the light. When I apply a sticker to a CD and press
it down using my usual rubbing motion around the entire area of the
sticker with a soft cloth, the ink is smudging! This never happened
when making the same stickers on the Canon S830D; they were always
completely dry after coming out of the printer. I'm using the exact
same printer settings as before: 'plain paper' and highest print
quality that's possible. (This was recommended by Kodak for this paper
and the Canon S830D)

I really don't like having to use a hairdryer on my prints. I've
noticed that the blacks on the ip3000 are also not as dark as the
s830D and it's terrible at reproducing photos that consist mostly of
grey and black shades. Is there anyway I can do to intensify the
black? I'm impressed with the speed of the ip300, it prints in 30
seconds compared to 2 minutes on the s830d, but I would trade that to
have prints that do not need to be dried overnight. I've tried some
different paper settings other than 'plain' but I'm still getting
'wet' ink on the finished print.

On 1 Jan 2005 11:35:58 -0800, wheresmyprecious@yahoo.com (Steve)
wrote:

>I just bought the Canon ip3000 to replace my 6 month old Canon S830D
>(6 inks) that finally got a clogged black print head that I can't fix.
>(anyone have hints on how to fix this? Constant 'cleaning' under
>maintenance doesn't work, and I've also replaced the black ink
>cartridge twice and it makes no difference. Nothing wrong with the
>other 5 colors. Would be a shame to trash this printer just because
>black doesn't work.)
>
>I'm printing the same things as before, mostly graphics on 4x6 Kodak
>semi gloss two sided paper, and Cd stomper glossy stickers. I never
>had a problem on my S830D, the ink was dry instantly. Now, on the
>ip3000, I'm finding that the black ink in particular takes forever to
>dry and you can even see the black excess ink in spots when you hold
>up the picture to the light. When I apply a sticker to a CD and press
>it down using my usual rubbing motion around the entire area of the
>sticker with a soft cloth, the ink is smudging! This never happened
>when making the same stickers on the Canon S830D; they were always
>completely dry after coming out of the printer. I'm using the exact
>same printer settings as before: 'plain paper' and highest print
>quality that's possible. (This was recommended by Kodak for this paper
>and the Canon S830D)
>
>I really don't like having to use a hairdryer on my prints. I've
>noticed that the blacks on the ip3000 are also not as dark as the
>s830D and it's terrible at reproducing photos that consist mostly of
>grey and black shades. Is there anyway I can do to intensify the
>black? I'm impressed with the speed of the ip300, it prints in 30
>seconds compared to 2 minutes on the s830d, but I would trade that to
>have prints that do not need to be dried overnight. I've tried some
>different paper settings other than 'plain' but I'm still getting
>'wet' ink on the finished print.

As fas as the glossy Kodak paper is concerned, I think it does not
work well (dry) with canon inks. Try Epson or Office depot paper
instead.

SLK

Steve wrote:
> I just bought the Canon ip3000 to replace my 6 month old Canon S830D
> (6 inks) that finally got a clogged black print head that I can't fix.
> (anyone have hints on how to fix this? Constant 'cleaning' under
> maintenance doesn't work, and I've also replaced the black ink
> cartridge twice and it makes no difference. Nothing wrong with the
> other 5 colors. Would be a shame to trash this printer just because
> black doesn't work.)
>
> I'm printing the same things as before, mostly graphics on 4x6 Kodak
> semi gloss two sided paper, and Cd stomper glossy stickers. I never
> had a problem on my S830D, the ink was dry instantly. Now, on the
> ip3000, I'm finding that the black ink in particular takes forever to
> dry and you can even see the black excess ink in spots when you hold
> up the picture to the light. When I apply a sticker to a CD and press
> it down using my usual rubbing motion around the entire area of the
> sticker with a soft cloth, the ink is smudging! This never happened
> when making the same stickers on the Canon S830D; they were always
> completely dry after coming out of the printer. I'm using the exact
> same printer settings as before: 'plain paper' and highest print
> quality that's possible. (This was recommended by Kodak for this paper
> and the Canon S830D)
>
> I really don't like having to use a hairdryer on my prints. I've
> noticed that the blacks on the ip3000 are also not as dark as the
> s830D and it's terrible at reproducing photos that consist mostly of
> grey and black shades. Is there anyway I can do to intensify the
> black? I'm impressed with the speed of the ip300, it prints in 30
> seconds compared to 2 minutes on the s830d, but I would trade that to
> have prints that do not need to be dried overnight. I've tried some
> different paper settings other than 'plain' but I'm still getting
> 'wet' ink on the finished print.

Wrong type of paper....happened same to me on HP everyday photo
paper...black didn't dry for days...
Try original Canon paper - either Photo paper pro (PR-101) or photo paper
plus glossy (PP-101). Excellent results!

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message

> Wrong type of paper....happened same to me on HP everyday photo
> paper...black didn't dry for days...
> Try original Canon paper - either Photo paper pro (PR-101) or photo paper
> plus glossy (PP-101). Excellent results!
I printed a big batch of full colour photo Christmas cards on Kodak double
sided glossy Picture Paper with no probs on my ip4000. Though the colours
were a bit off, but for this project it didn't matter.

Caitlin wrote:

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>

>>Wrong type of paper....happened same to me on HP everyday photo
>>paper...black didn't dry for days...
>>Try original Canon paper - either Photo paper pro (PR-101) or photo paper
>>plus glossy (PP-101). Excellent results!
>
> I printed a big batch of full colour photo Christmas cards on Kodak double
> sided glossy Picture Paper with no probs on my ip4000. Though the colours
> were a bit off, but for this project it didn't matter.

The Canon iP5000 is very impressive photographically. It prints with
tiny 1 pl size droplets so the print comes out virtually dry upon
leaving the machine. Before, using the same paper, with my i850 and
i860, the prints would come out quite wet and would require a hair dryer
- that's right - to dry them before handing. No longer!

By the way, I use "Dollar Store" paper. That's right, 20 4x6 sheets
for one Canadian Dollar - about 80 cents US.

Excellent quality, can't really tell the difference from Canon Photo
Paper Pro. It's sold under the "Likon" brand name and is 60 lb weight
(225g/m2 / 9.2 mil). They also offer 8.5x11 sheets, 10 for a Dollar.

Naturally, they sell out in a matter of days when new stock arrives.
I haven't seen any for a little while. But I'll be buying a "truckload"
when I see them again. Sorry, I cannot take orders, don't bother asking.
But do check your own dollar stores. You may be mildly surprised at
how much over priced brand name papers are when someone can sell 20
sheets for 1 Canadian dollar and STILL make a profit. Hmmmmmm......

-Taliesyn

Taliesyn wrote:
> Caitlin wrote:
>
>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>>

>>> Wrong type of paper....happened same to me on HP everyday photo
>>> paper...black didn't dry for days...
>>> Try original Canon paper - either Photo paper pro (PR-101) or photo
>>> paper plus glossy (PP-101). Excellent results!
>>
>> I printed a big batch of full colour photo Christmas cards on Kodak
>> double sided glossy Picture Paper with no probs on my ip4000. Though
>> the colours were a bit off, but for this project it didn't matter.
>>

> The Canon iP5000 is very impressive photographically. It prints with
> tiny 1 pl size droplets so the print comes out virtually dry upon
> leaving the machine. Before, using the same paper, with my i850 and
> i860, the prints would come out quite wet and would require a hair
> dryer - that's right - to dry them before handing. No longer!
>
> By the way, I use "Dollar Store" paper. That's right, 20 4x6 sheets
> for one Canadian Dollar - about 80 cents US.
>
> Excellent quality, can't really tell the difference from Canon Photo
> Paper Pro. It's sold under the "Likon" brand name and is 60 lb weight
> (225g/m2 / 9.2 mil). They also offer 8.5x11 sheets, 10 for a Dollar.
>
> Naturally, they sell out in a matter of days when new stock arrives.
> I haven't seen any for a little while. But I'll be buying a
> "truckload" when I see them again. Sorry, I cannot take orders, don't
> bother asking. But do check your own dollar stores. You may be mildly
> surprised at how much over priced brand name papers are when someone can
> sell 20
> sheets for 1 Canadian dollar and STILL make a profit. Hmmmmmm......
>
> -Taliesyn

Yeah, it's easier for you guys....here we can only find some usual
well-known brands, like Kodak, HP, Epson, no Red River etc...

I was told (and I do not know if it is true) by the Canon Factory rep in
a discussion with me and the Epson factory rep at Fry's that the only
paper other than Canon that prints very good results is Epson paper. I
was told that for some reason Kodak paper does not yield comparable
results on the Canon Pixma printers.

I do not know if they are made by the same company but I am sure that
the specifications are such that they match the ink.

Caitlin wrote:

>"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>

>>Wrong type of paper....happened same to me on HP everyday photo
>>paper...black didn't dry for days...
>>Try original Canon paper - either Photo paper pro (PR-101) or photo paper
>>plus glossy (PP-101). Excellent results!
>>

>I printed a big batch of full colour photo Christmas cards on Kodak double
>sided glossy Picture Paper with no probs on my ip4000. Though the colours
>were a bit off, but for this project it didn't matter.

If you read comparative reports on the Canon P5000 and the Canon IP4000
(online) at pcmag.com and pcworld.com you will find out that the Canon
IP5000 does better on text and business graphics while the Canon IP4000
does better on photographs. The difference is small on photographs but
noticeable and larger on business documents. They neglect to explain
why. I was quite surprised by the test results.

Taliesyn wrote:

> Caitlin wrote:
>
>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>>

>>> Wrong type of paper....happened same to me on HP everyday photo
>>> paper...black didn't dry for days...
>>> Try original Canon paper - either Photo paper pro (PR-101) or photo
>>> paper plus glossy (PP-101). Excellent results!
>>

>> I printed a big batch of full colour photo Christmas cards on Kodak
>> double sided glossy Picture Paper with no probs on my ip4000. Though
>> the colours were a bit off, but for this project it didn't matter.
>>

> The Canon iP5000 is very impressive photographically. It prints with
> tiny 1 pl size droplets so the print comes out virtually dry upon
> leaving the machine. Before, using the same paper, with my i850 and
> i860, the prints would come out quite wet and would require a hair dryer
> - that's right - to dry them before handing. No longer!
>
> By the way, I use "Dollar Store" paper. That's right, 20 4x6 sheets
> for one Canadian Dollar - about 80 cents US.
>
> Excellent quality, can't really tell the difference from Canon Photo
> Paper Pro. It's sold under the "Likon" brand name and is 60 lb weight
> (225g/m2 / 9.2 mil). They also offer 8.5x11 sheets, 10 for a Dollar.
>
> Naturally, they sell out in a matter of days when new stock arrives.
> I haven't seen any for a little while. But I'll be buying a "truckload"
> when I see them again. Sorry, I cannot take orders, don't bother asking.
> But do check your own dollar stores. You may be mildly surprised at
> how much over priced brand name papers are when someone can sell 20
> sheets for 1 Canadian dollar and STILL make a profit. Hmmmmmm......
>
> -Taliesyn

You were told a bunch of BS. While I'm not a fan of Kodak paper due to its
lack of moisture resistance, it is possible to get very good results with
that paper - proper setup is important with this brand. Other papers such as
Office Depot, Ilford Gallerie and Red River all are excellent for use with
Canon photo printers. These are just the one I use but other users have
reported great results with a variety of papers.
--
Ron Cohen

>I was told (and I do not know if it is true) by the Canon Factory rep in a
>discussion with me and the Epson factory rep at Fry's that the only paper
>other than Canon that prints very good results is Epson paper. I was told
>that for some reason Kodak paper does not yield comparable results on the
>Canon Pixma printers.
>
> I do not know if they are made by the same company but I am sure that the
> specifications are such that they match the ink.
>
> Caitlin wrote:
>
>>"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>>

>>>Wrong type of paper....happened same to me on HP everyday photo
>>>paper...black didn't dry for days...
>>>Try original Canon paper - either Photo paper pro (PR-101) or photo paper
>>>plus glossy (PP-101). Excellent results!
>>>
>>I printed a big batch of full colour photo Christmas cards on Kodak double
>>sided glossy Picture Paper with no probs on my ip4000. Though the colours
>>were a bit off, but for this project it didn't matter.

Greetings Steve,

I appreciate your situation, Steve and want to help.

I wonder if you have visited the Kodak web site and tried the settings
suggested for this printer and Kodak Paper? If not go to

http://www.kodak.com/go/inkjet

On this page look to the left to see a listing for Printer Settings. When
you go to that page you will be offered two drop down lists. Your printer
is there. Going to the reference page will give you specific settings for
your printer. Adjust the driver accordingly and your results will improve
dramatically. Give it a try, Steve, and let me know how things go. If you
continue to need more help, I am here for you.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

> I just bought the Canon ip3000 to replace my 6 month old Canon S830D
> (6 inks) that finally got a clogged black print head that I can't fix.
> (anyone have hints on how to fix this? Constant 'cleaning' under
> maintenance doesn't work, and I've also replaced the black ink
> cartridge twice and it makes no difference. Nothing wrong with the
> other 5 colors. Would be a shame to trash this printer just because
> black doesn't work.)

Greetings Measekite,

Try visiting the Kodak site to get printer settings for your combination of
printer and Kodak paper type. Your results will improve dramatically. This
is a feature called One Touch that we include in EasyShare software as well
as independently on our web site.

Let me know how you make out.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

> I was told (and I do not know if it is true) by the Canon Factory rep in
> a discussion with me and the Epson factory rep at Fry's that the only
> paper other than Canon that prints very good results is Epson paper. I
> was told that for some reason Kodak paper does not yield comparable
> results on the Canon Pixma printers.
>
> I do not know if they are made by the same company but I am sure that
> the specifications are such that they match the ink.
>
> Caitlin wrote:
>

> >>Wrong type of paper....happened same to me on HP everyday photo
> >>paper...black didn't dry for days...
> >>Try original Canon paper - either Photo paper pro (PR-101) or photo
paper
> >>plus glossy (PP-101). Excellent results!
> >>

> >I printed a big batch of full colour photo Christmas cards on Kodak
double
> >sided glossy Picture Paper with no probs on my ip4000. Though the colours
> >were a bit off, but for this project it didn't matter.

kahalas <kahalas@verizon.net> wrotenews:0kqet096jioir5abd1bs037n8g2p7na89j@
4ax.com:

> As fas as the glossy Kodak paper is concerned, I think it does not
> work well (dry) with canon inks. Try Epson or Office depot paper
> instead.
>
> SLK

I only use that Fry's loss leader .99c photo GQ glossy paper and it works
great.

At .5c a sheet, what a deal.

--
---Mapanari---

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrotenews:ZOOBd.7687$F6.1335180
@news.siol.net:

> Wrong type of paper....happened same to me on HP everyday photo
> paper...black didn't dry for days...
> Try original Canon paper - either Photo paper pro (PR-101) or photo paper
> plus glossy (PP-101). Excellent results!

Actually, that happened to me when I used the wrong type of photo paper that
was for dye sublimation or some other format, like you. Smeared all over the
place and never dried.

--
---Mapanari---

BURT

I had problems using Kodak glossy photo paper - long drying times and
bronzing - with both an Epson Stylus Color 900 and a Canon i960. Good
results with Costco Kirkland glossy photo paper, Epson glossy photo paper,
and Epson, Staples, and Kodak matte paper (coated for use with inkjets.) Of
course, the Canon photo papers work well as they were designed for their
inks, but the others work equally well and cost less.

Burt wrote:

>I had problems using Kodak glossy photo paper - long drying times and
>bronzing - with both an Epson Stylus Color 900 and a Canon i960.

Bronzing usually occurs with pigmented ink. The i960 does not use this
type of ink