AT&T Wireless Extends 3G UMTS Service to Dallas and San Di..

Last response: in Network Providers
a b F Wireless
September 9, 2004 7:23:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

<https://www.attwireless.com/press/releases/2004_release...;

Added to the previous Detroit, Phoenix, San Francisco and Seattle major metro
areas, this brings UMTS service areas to six (6). Typical UMTS downlink
speeds are 220-320 Kbps. EDGE (typical downlink speeds of 120-150 Kbps) and
GPRS (typical downlink speeds of 40-50 Kbps) are widely deployed where UMTS
isn't available.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 12, 2004 6:52:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <Y9Z0d.19333$Bp5.2910@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com> on Sun, 12 Sep 2004
14:36:40 GMT, "Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik" <DRFafoofnik@rumpledanus.com> wrote:

>> <https://www.attwireless.com/press/releases/2004_release...;
>>
>> Added to the previous Detroit, Phoenix, San Francisco and Seattle major metro
>> areas, this brings UMTS service areas to six (6). Typical UMTS downlink
>> speeds are 220-320 Kbps. EDGE (typical downlink speeds of 120-150 Kbps) and
>> GPRS (typical downlink speeds of 40-50 Kbps) are widely deployed where UMTS
>> isn't available.
>>
>Who needs to put up with ATTWorthless for data? In california we have
>Verizon with 1xRTT and 1X-EVDO showing up in places now on a daily basis.

1xRTT is expensive ($80/month unlimited), and EV-DO is available only in
Washington DC, San Diego and Las Vegas. The best data deals are Cingular and
T-Mobile.

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/&gt;

"John Navas" <nigel.ince@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <Y9Z0d.19333$Bp5.2910@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com> on Sun, 12 Sep 2004
> 14:36:40 GMT, "Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik" <DRFafoofnik@rumpledanus.com> wrote:
>
> >"John Navas" <nigel.ince@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> >> <https://www.attwireless.com/press/releases/2004_release...;
> >>
> >> Added to the previous Detroit, Phoenix, San Francisco and Seattle major
metro
> >> areas, this brings UMTS service areas to six (6). Typical UMTS
downlink
> >> speeds are 220-320 Kbps. EDGE (typical downlink speeds of 120-150
Kbps) and
> >> GPRS (typical downlink speeds of 40-50 Kbps) are widely deployed where
UMTS
> >> isn't available.
> >>
> >Who needs to put up with ATTWorthless for data? In california we have
> >Verizon with 1xRTT and 1X-EVDO showing up in places now on a daily basis.
>
> 1xRTT is expensive ($80/month unlimited), and EV-DO is available only in
> Washington DC, San Diego and Las Vegas. The best data deals are Cingular
and
> T-Mobile.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> John Navas

Your wrong John, EVDO is popping up all over California as we type..also in
other states. I HIGHLY suspect it will pretty well implimented by the end of
2004.
Expensive? yep..your right there...$80 a month flat rate, but it hauls ass,
is reliable and I can depend on it more than I will trust ATTWorthless. When
I had (if you want to call it service) with ATTWorthless, all I got were
excuses, lies, worthless promises and false hope. They are NOT to be
trusted.
In California where Cingular(T-Mobile roaming) is restricted to 1900Mhz
their signal DOES NOT get into a lot of buildings!! Therefore their service
is worthless, Sprint on 1850Mhz is NO BETTER. It's a cold hard FACT that
1800-1900Mhz signals DO NOT get into concrete/metal buildings worth a damn.
With Verizon (on 880Mhz) you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. It works! I can depend on
it, it gets the job done, no excuses PERIOD.
You wonder exactly WHY you get "Rollover" minutes on Cingular? Because half
the time you CAN'T use it! And it is "capped" at 1000 minutes at the end of
your calendar year.
If I rented you a rental car that would just not start sometimes...would you
be happy with "Rollover Miles"????
If it didnt start on Monday, I give you a free day later in the month to
drive it? I seriously doubt you would be a happy customer.
Bottom line...Verizon works....I DO get what I pay for. We have TWO
VX-6000's one Audiovox "Thera" and a PC-5220 Datacard on the Verizon system.
If I had to do it all over again, it would be with Verizon.
Related resources
September 16, 2004 8:50:02 PM

"Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik" <DRFafoofnik@rumpledanus.com> wrote in message news:<4o21d.19464$s6.5031@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>...
> "John Navas" <nigel.ince@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
> >
> > In <Y9Z0d.19333$Bp5.2910@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com> on Sun, 12 Sep 2004
> > 14:36:40 GMT, "Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik" <DRFafoofnik@rumpledanus.com> wrote:
> >
> > >"John Navas" <nigel.ince@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> metro
> downlink
> Kbps) and
> UMTS
> > >>
> > >Who needs to put up with ATTWorthless for data? In california we have
> > >Verizon with 1xRTT and 1X-EVDO showing up in places now on a daily basis.
> >
> > 1xRTT is expensive ($80/month unlimited), and EV-DO is available only in
> > Washington DC, San Diego and Las Vegas. The best data deals are Cingular
> and
> > T-Mobile.
> >
> > --
> > Best regards,
> > John Navas

I have never seen someone as angry as you are. You should seek help.
You would think someone from attws once touched you "on your naughty
place" as a child. Hey i use the EDGE service and i think it works
great and have used it in about 20 states. In buildings too. But hey
you like verizon, thats cool. Im sure they work well for you. Its a
simple as that. No need to get all scary mad.

> Your wrong John, EVDO is popping up all over California as we type..also in
> other states. I HIGHLY suspect it will pretty well implimented by the end of
> 2004.
> Expensive? yep..your right there...$80 a month flat rate, but it hauls ass,
> is reliable and I can depend on it more than I will trust ATTWorthless. When
> I had (if you want to call it service) with ATTWorthless, all I got were
> excuses, lies, worthless promises and false hope. They are NOT to be
> trusted.
> In California where Cingular(T-Mobile roaming) is restricted to 1900Mhz
> their signal DOES NOT get into a lot of buildings!! Therefore their service
> is worthless, Sprint on 1850Mhz is NO BETTER. It's a cold hard FACT that
> 1800-1900Mhz signals DO NOT get into concrete/metal buildings worth a damn.
> With Verizon (on 880Mhz) you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. It works! I can depend on
> it, it gets the job done, no excuses PERIOD.
> You wonder exactly WHY you get "Rollover" minutes on Cingular? Because half
> the time you CAN'T use it! And it is "capped" at 1000 minutes at the end of
> your calendar year.
> If I rented you a rental car that would just not start sometimes...would you
> be happy with "Rollover Miles"????
> If it didnt start on Monday, I give you a free day later in the month to
> drive it? I seriously doubt you would be a happy customer.
> Bottom line...Verizon works....I DO get what I pay for. We have TWO
> VX-6000's one Audiovox "Thera" and a PC-5220 Datacard on the Verizon system.
> If I had to do it all over again, it would be with Verizon.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 22, 2004 12:29:18 AM

In <4o21d.19464$s6.5031@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com> on Sun, 12 Sep 2004
20:33:04 GMT, "Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik" <DRFafoofnik@rumpledanus.com> wrote:

>"John Navas" <nigel.ince@btinternet.com> wrote in message

>> 1xRTT is expensive ($80/month unlimited), and EV-DO is available only in
>> Washington DC, San Diego and Las Vegas. The best data deals are Cingular and
>> T-Mobile.

>Your wrong John, EVDO is popping up all over California as we type..also in
>other states.

Here's what Verizon has to say
<http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/broadb...;:

... Verizon Wireless BroadbandAccess, available today in the Washington,
D.C., San Diego and Las Vegas areas. ...

>I HIGHLY suspect it will pretty well implimented by the end of
>2004.

Time will tell.

>Expensive? yep..your right there...$80 a month flat rate, but it hauls ass,
>is reliable and I can depend on it more than I will trust ATTWorthless.

ATTWS UMTS is roughly comparable to EV-DO and more widely deployed, with
fallback outside of UMTS coverage areas to EDGE, which is widely deployed, as
well as GPRS.

>In California where Cingular(T-Mobile roaming) is restricted to 1900Mhz
>their signal DOES NOT get into a lot of buildings!! Therefore their service
>is worthless,

I personally find it good even on 1900 MHz, and Cingular will soon also have
850 MHz coverage from the ATTWS merger.

>... It's a cold hard FACT that
>1800-1900Mhz signals DO NOT get into concrete/metal buildings worth a damn.

All cellular bands have problems in buildings. While 850 MHz penetrates walls
better than 1900 MHz, the reverse is true in the case of windows.

>With Verizon (on 880Mhz) you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. It works! I can depend on
>it, it gets the job done, no excuses PERIOD.

I'm getting that from Cingular. Verizon has worse coverage in my area
(Tri-Valley part of the San Francisco Bay Area).

>You wonder exactly WHY you get "Rollover" minutes on Cingular? Because half
>the time you CAN'T use it!

Like new rate plans from Sprint, I think it's actually a function of healthy
competition.

>And it is "capped" at 1000 minutes at the end of
>your calendar year.

Say what? It's true that rollover minutes expire at the end of a year, but
I think that still beats no rollover minutes.

>If I had to do it all over again, it would be with Verizon.

Since Verizon best works for you, that makes sense. It doesn't work best for
me, Cingular currently works best for me, so that's what I use.

--
!