Sign in with
Your question

BWAHAHAH, AMD NEEDS A CO-PROCESSOR!!!

Last response: in CPUs
March 15, 2006 2:46:20 PM

roflmao! the return of the math co-processor,

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03/15/amd_clearspeed_...

"speed of lightning, roar of co-processor
Amd will lie, steal, rob and plunder
Underdog. Underdog!

when in this world the tech headlines read
of those whose hearts are filled with Amd green
who rob and steal from kids in need
to right this wrong with less blinding speed
goes Underdog! Underdog! Underdog! Underdog!"

Amd "Underdog" theme song.

More about : bwahahah amd processor

March 15, 2006 3:10:13 PM

Obviously Intel needs there help too.......

Quote:
Interestingly, it's not just AMD who's taken an interest in Clearspeed. Last week, Intel co-published a paper on using Clearspeed's twin-chip Advance board to boost Intel Math Kernel Library operations significantly. ®

Amdmeltdown you are the weakest link... bye~bye! :p 

Spend less time creating theme songs and actually read the links you are posting. You have egg on your face. :roll:
March 15, 2006 3:28:29 PM

You're funny.
Related resources
March 15, 2006 4:06:05 PM

the best logical design for a CPU could include a bunch of specialized

multi core

CPU- 1
CPU- 2
GPU- integrated graphic core which could standardize a minimum spec interface

PPU- physical processing unit
CSX600- MATH co-CPU

as next generation cpu should include at least virtualisation ( possibility to logically separate performance between different sessions and benefit from multiple servers on a single computer. as vmware software does but in hardware mode). graphic unit no more in the chipset but directly in the computer for entry-level systems.

haven't you noticed that cpu manufacturer tend to include in the cpu features that were supported by the chipset... communication interfaces, memory controller, 3d instructions.

amd doesn't NEED a co-unit, but servers could need it in some cases so, they're offering a compatible product.

did amd needed an integrated memory controller ? no, they created a standard one.
it removed the memory compatibility issues relying on cheap motherboards.

did intel needed to switch from netburst ? no, they could've kept the same one but an improvement is NEVER bad.
they're just entering the same field ... back to the beginning, starting from almost nothing.

am i right if i say : look at intel prescott cpu using more bandwith and cache memory, consuming more power, running hotter, generating more noise from retail heatsink, it's being under-performing AND NOT being cheaper... ?
March 15, 2006 4:16:16 PM

AMDMelt,

I do not think you ar being logical about this. We all know that the FX-60 is the best overal processor out right now, so wouldn't adding a math co-processing unit only improve some of the best products out there?

My point is, I don't really see it as something AMD is doing to try to "catch-up", I see it as something AMD is doing to advance their products. Intel products would more than likely see very similar benefits from a math co-processor solution.

Quote:
Interestingly, it's not just AMD who's taken an interest in Clearspeed. Last week, Intel co-published a paper on using Clearspeed's twin-chip Advance board to boost Intel Math Kernel Library operations significantly.

Look at the above text from the article YOU posted about, it says Intel is considering the same thing. So shouldn't you be ROFLcoptering at Intel as well? You should do your homework: If you are going to post an article and rely on some of its information, you may want to read the ENTIRE article so you don't end up looking silly!

I do not agree with your take on the article, but find it VERY interesting, thanks!
March 15, 2006 9:50:17 PM

dude amdmeltdown only started this thread just to piss me off and ahh screw him he just wants attention ignore him and he'll go away
March 15, 2006 9:52:44 PM

Yeah amdmeltdown, He should be ashamed of himself. He's being a naughty lil' boy he needs to be beaten silly with a bat beside his mom's H3 Hummer in a Wal-mart Parking lot with Hi-Def security cameras recording them./
March 15, 2006 9:58:44 PM

Quote:
Underdog. Underdog!

I love it!
March 15, 2006 10:05:51 PM

oh yeah Action_man
take that!!Eat Hexadecimals
0100 0110 0101 0101 0100 1011 0100 1011 0101 1001 0100 1111 0101 0101

thats translates to something verybad!!
March 15, 2006 10:07:28 PM

Quiet noob.
March 15, 2006 10:12:59 PM

Oh yeah, If i get a FX-62 i'll Overvolt it and Squeek out every last clocking Megahert i can and then it'll beat Conroe. Then we'll see who the Noob is, An ummm... Action_man sir. Can you give me a few thousand so i can Afford to buy the FX-62 Please.
March 15, 2006 10:15:04 PM

Well look who came out from underneath his rock!

I'm sure you're already back under your rock so this reply is probably pointless. Oh well. I guess we'll see you back in another 6 months.

-mpjesse
March 15, 2006 10:20:18 PM

what would be awesome, is that, if they do take the co processor, what about the physX chip? wonder if that will be ever integrated, or not.. looks pretty good to me. either way both companies will have a good performance boost
March 16, 2006 6:54:18 AM

Quote:
oh yeah Action_man
take that!!Eat Hexadecimals
0100 0110 0101 0101 0100 1011 0100 1011 0101 1001 0100 1111 0101 0101

thats translates to something verybad!!

AHAHHAHA
March 16, 2006 7:12:56 AM

get a life.

Quote:

Underdog. Underdog!

a b à CPUs
March 16, 2006 7:36:40 AM

Quote:

Underdog. Underdog!

Behold we can say this to AMD for once (in years) - "why not just make a more efficent architecture" - even if they did add that it would not be here for years to come, and by then there would be 4 efficent intel cores, and whats stopping Intel using the idea anyhow?
March 16, 2006 8:47:16 AM

It is not only an idea that AMD and Intel could find a us of it, it is the future. Processes which can be threaded separetely can be calculated with less power on more cores with low freqfency than on one high freqfency. High freqfency chips are more complicated to produce and are making much more heat on square mm which is a very big problem for computers of all segments(mobile, desktop and server).
An clear example that proves this is the asymetric "Cell" architecture of the Sony Play Station 3 processor.
It has 9 cores on a single processor, 1 called the Power Element which intelgently divides and deliver jobs to the rest 8 cores caled the Synergistic Cores. This chip can calculate 192Gigafloops(My overclocked A64 Venice at 2.6GHz can only 5Gigafloops) and can perform more SIMD operations on same data at once. Thanks to its 300GB/s buses of each synergistic core and the capability of the Power Element to pass the curent procesed SIMD data from one core to another imidietly.
This architecture has been developed for few years by the giants IBM, Toshiba and Sony with a budget of US $400 million and 400 technical enginers at its development peak.
March 16, 2006 10:43:45 AM

"fcuk you azzhole" by any chance?
March 16, 2006 11:08:37 AM

LOL @ AMDMeltdown... Idiot. :lol: 

BTW I'm new hear but I've been visiting the baord for a lil while.

cheers
March 16, 2006 11:21:07 AM

Quote:
what would be awesome, is that, if they do take the co processor, what about the physX chip? wonder if that will be ever integrated, or not.. looks pretty good to me. either way both companies will have a good performance boost

I would love to see the math co-processor and physics chip on future processors. It would rock the face of gaming.
March 16, 2006 11:39:16 AM

Quote:

I would love to see the math co-processor and physics chip on future processors. It would rock the face of gaming.

Seriously. The original guy posting is bitching about adding something to processors that could make them completely awesome.

I swear watching this forum is like watching retarded kids fight with lightsabers made with flourescent light tubes filled with gasoline.
March 16, 2006 11:59:04 AM

Quote:
I swear watching this forum is like watching retarded kids fight with lightsabers made with flourescent light tubes filled with gasoline

FINALLY!!!!!!... Somebody in this thread knows what they are talking about
March 16, 2006 12:16:48 PM

Quote:

Seriously. The original guy posting is bitching about adding something to processors that could make them completely awesome.

I swear watching this forum is like watching retarded kids fight with lightsabers made with flourescent light tubes filled with gasoline.
damn you are so right:) 
i find interesting reading these posts sometimes:)  Itchy and Scretchy
March 16, 2006 12:41:44 PM

Quote:

OmFg! that's so tru yo. Lol And I'm the Cartman one Who Acts REtarded so he can Rig the Special Olympics.
Yeha that's right we're just going at it because from what i see we have nothing else to do on March Break So most of the popel are just venting their No-girlfriend Anger on Processers(girl substitutes)
March 16, 2006 2:06:29 PM

Quote:

the most intelligent reply in this thread...

not all hope is lost for this forum...
March 17, 2006 2:25:43 PM

Quote:
It is not only an idea that AMD and Intel could find a us of it, it is the future. Processes which can be threaded separetely can be calculated with less power on more cores with low freqfency than on one high freqfency. High freqfency chips are more complicated to produce and are making much more heat on square mm which is a very big problem for computers of all segments(mobile, desktop and server).
An clear example that proves this is the asymetric "Cell" architecture of the Sony Play Station 3 processor.
It has 9 cores on a single processor, 1 called the Power Element which intelgently divides and deliver jobs to the rest 8 cores caled the Synergistic Cores. This chip can calculate 192Gigafloops(My overclocked A64 Venice at 2.6GHz can only 5Gigafloops) and can perform more SIMD operations on same data at once. Thanks to its 300GB/s buses of each synergistic core and the capability of the Power Element to pass the curent procesed SIMD data from one core to another imidietly.
This architecture has been developed for few years by the giants IBM, Toshiba and Sony with a budget of US $400 million and 400 technical enginers at its development peak.

That is nothing but pure marketing drivel. I've seen a cell, and it's not really as special as its being hyped up to be.
March 17, 2006 7:53:51 PM

I know you're not worth it, but I'll respond like the mature adult I am:

AMD, currently and for sometime in the future - at least until Intel's 'Common Systems Interconnect' finally happens - will have a large advantage with it's interconnect technology.

Now, having a superior technology - especially when you consider the advantage Intel's upcoming server offerings will have in terms of raw performance - is it not only natural to leverage that technology as much as possible?

Imagine if you will, buying a server/computing platform that uses a chip to accelerate the specific application you intend to run on this system. A chip made by professionals that specialize in accelerating the very applications you intend to run. And this chip is connected with the rest of the system using the fastest (standard) interconnect technology available today: a technology that allows the two chips to 'talk' to each other directly through a high-speed link.

Just the possible FPGA-as-copreprocessor potential boggles the mind.

And all this is bad how exactly? Bad like the video card, I mean graphics coprocessor, you have in your PC?
March 17, 2006 8:18:17 PM

Well, no one claimed Meltie was among the most intelligent of Intel trolls...
March 17, 2006 8:29:24 PM

The more I think about it, the more an the idea of an actual graphics co-processor connected via coherent HT to the CPU sounds like a good thing for AMD to make. They'd have to partner with someone like Nvidia for it, and I don't think it's really doable but... imagine: a FX100+ super gaming chip.
!