cardcrash

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I'm thinking of getting a 150GB/16MB Raptor but was wondering whether or not they're a bit noisy. If they are I might just settle for a 7,200rpm 250GB/16MB Caviar instead, unless they're just as noisy!

My PC is pretty quiet apart from the Gainward 6600GT which gets on my nerves!

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I have 2 and I can hear the graphics clearly than my raptors. But I guess the low noise during spins is acceptable whem it revs to 10,000 rpm. Overall, you can hear it but barely to the point that is noticeable.

RichPLS

Champion
Seagate Barracudda 7200rpm drive ~ 39db
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 ~ 40 db
WD Caviar WD2500KS ~ 43db

Hard drives are measured at a distance of 3mm

So Raptors are quiet for hard drives, and extremely quiet for the fastest of the fastest.

sunangel

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
You asked are Raptors noisey? I think so. I had a pair of 36GBs ones a few years ago and they sounded like someone snacking on Doritos whenever they were reading or writing. I returned them because I thought something was wrong with them. But I now know that was just normal. Will I buy them again? Probably not. I keep telling myself if 10K RPM drives were meant to be more companies would be selling them. As you know only WD is selling 10K RPM SATA Drives. Something is not adding up here, so until other companies puts them on the market I'm sticking with 7,2K RPM drives. Hell, in RAID 0 or RAID 5 7,2K's have a devastingly decent transfer rate. Plus, I truely think they (Raptors) are made for server applications with high transactions. But I am just a lone guy that enjoys ripping a dvd or two. Transcoding dvds on RAID 0 or RAID 5 feeds the FSB with more than enough data to keep the processor busy. I can't image any other uses for a Raptor other than server applications or dvd theft (I'm joking about the dvd theft...unless you like to do it). Using a raptor for gaming seems like overkill. I always find it funny when I hear a young chap say "ha-ha, I'm first on the game server". I think to myself "yeah, but you can't start till everyone else joins." But nevermind me. In the end its your doe and your happiness. I pay rent now so I can nolonger keep up with the Jones.

RichPLS

Champion
Here is some info explaining decibels, Raptor 150 and 74 gig drives are under 40dB, and very quiet, certainly not louder than other slower 7200rpm drives.
Look at review sites and see for yourself.
Buy one or more of each, I have 3 Raptors, plus various other 7200rpm drives.

A good comparison to 36dB noise, would be a bit quieter than most public library's ambient background noise.

http://home.new.rr.com/trumpetb/audio/dBexamp.html

cardcrash

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Oh well, thanks for the input folks, I've gone and ordered one now so finger's crossed it works and does all the things it's meant to!

Oh and I ordered a VX922 as well, as it seemed like a good upgrade from my 5yr old 17" crt that does my eyes in!!!

jbentz

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I just got a WD 74gb Raptor, and it sounds like a popcorn popper. After reading all your notes, I wonder if this one is bad. And, to be honest, I don't notice it being that much faster than my Maxtor 7200rpm 250 gb SATA.

Let me clarify, my machine takes same time to boot with Raptor or Maxtor. Much smoother and quiter w/Maxtor, and all graphical components done in 20 sec with Maxtor, still flickering for entire 2 min with Raptor.

However, in fairness, on transfer/copy of lots (around 25gb - can't remember now - random files small and large, the Raptor copies about a minute faster (around 3 minutes vs. 4 minutes), but like I said, crackle, crackle, crackle.

My system is HP Media Center, and the case side is vented, so not much noise blocking...part of the problem, but I can't believe all the posts about how quiet they are. I've emailed WD about it, and they just say faster drives are noiser.

RichPLS

Champion
Actually, the Raptors (74gig anyway) are quieter indeed than most high end 7200rpm drives. I have 3 total, and 2 WD Caviar 7200rpm 250GB WD2500KS and they are louder at ~ 43db each than the Raptors, which are around ~ 36db each

No one said they were silent, just told you what noise they do make, and are quieter than many high end 7200rpm drives, maybe you do not understand the statements, because they are facts.

In the Raptors case, they are indeed the queitest and also the loudest 10k rpm SATA drives ever made on earth.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I just got a WD 74gb Raptor, and it sounds like a popcorn popper. After reading all your notes, I wonder if this one is bad. And, to be honest, I don't notice it being that much faster than my Maxtor 7200rpm 250 gb SATA.

Let me clarify, my machine takes same time to boot with Raptor or Maxtor. Much smoother and quiter w/Maxtor, and all graphical components done in 20 sec with Maxtor, still flickering for entire 2 min with Raptor.

However, in fairness, on transfer/copy of lots (around 25gb - can't remember now - random files small and large, the Raptor copies about a minute faster (around 3 minutes vs. 4 minutes), but like I said, crackle, crackle, crackle.

My system is HP Media Center, and the case side is vented, so not much noise blocking...part of the problem, but I can't believe all the posts about how quiet they are. I've emailed WD about it, and they just say faster drives are noiser.

Get a new case. The Antec Sonata has special insulation to keep the noise level to a minimum. Also, try getting a quieter CPU cooler, case fan, and graphics card cooler.

The HP cases tend to be very poorly designed, very cramped, and have very bad airflow (trust me; I was using one until about three weeks ago). They also come with $h!tty power supplies.

On top of that, HP loads your hard drive with bloatware AKA trial versions of software that you'll never use. And there are like 60 tasks running in the background. I got a new copy of XP Pro, reinstalled Windows, and now there are only 25 background tasks. My 3DMark05 score is almost 1,000 points higher (a still pitiful 2,270), and the whole system runs a lot faster in general.

jbentz

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Well, you're right about the process and bloat ware. I uninstalled all I could find, but looking at the process window, there are still many I don't recognize.

Guess reinstall is a good idea, just hate to reinstall everything yet again... but might be worth it.

I don't have any db ratings on my system, but the whole thing is very quiet, cpu fan, cooling fan and the other drives, all except that Raptor rattling away.

Given what I was reading about running two SATA 7200 in RAID being faster, I think that is my best solution, since I already have a 200gb and 250gb SATA Maxtor, I can just return the Raptor and save my money.

Anyway, thanks for the quick replys, and info.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Well, you're right about the process and bloat ware. I uninstalled all I could find, but looking at the process window, there are still many I don't recognize.

Guess reinstall is a good idea, just hate to reinstall everything yet again... but might be worth it.

I don't have any db ratings on my system, but the whole thing is very quiet, cpu fan, cooling fan and the other drives, all except that Raptor rattling away.

Given what I was reading about running two SATA 7200 in RAID being faster, I think that is my best solution, since I already have a 200gb and 250gb SATA Maxtor, I can just return the Raptor and save my money.

Anyway, thanks for the quick replys, and info.

It's much easier to just do a fresh reinstall rather than find all of the crap and zap it one by one. Just don't use the restore CD; that'll just reinstall all of the crap. Get a new XP CD. I have a single 250GB SATA drive; it's fast enough for me, plus it holds more than I'll probably ever need. The actual formatted capacity is like 240GB; I've used like 3.5 or so.

RichPLS

Champion
Two drives are only faster if you RAID 0 them.
A 74gig Raptor will beat any other drive, except the one larger Raptor.
And getting a fast Maxtor 7200rpm will probable be louder.
A 7200rpm diamonMax(tor) rattles out 40decibels.
verses 36decibels for a Raptor.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

Oy vey. Enough already. Who can tell the difference between 36 decibals and 40 decibals?

RichPLS

Champion
My microphone...

Also, the way the drives are mounted in the case, plus the geometry of the cavity, and teh position of the vents and amplify and distort noise... sometimes dampening the drive with rubber washers, even a cardboard shroud used to reflect the sound away from a vent can drastically lower a PC's sound. Also, foam baffles in teh hollow area of case can decrease noise, just be careful to place them as to enhance airflow, not restrict.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
My microphone...

Also, the way the drives are mounted in the case, plus the geometry of the cavity, and teh position of the vents and amplify and distort noise... sometimes dampening the drive with rubber washers, even a cardboard shroud used to reflect the sound away from a vent can drastically lower a PC's sound. Also, foam baffles in teh hollow area of case can decrease noise, just be careful to place them as to enhance airflow, not restrict.
yay. i'm tired.

bweir

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
If you have ears that can pick up high-pitched sounds, they do whistle a bit, but some people don't hear it. I've got 2 in a RAID 0 with an open sided case (Tt Shark), and I can hear the whistle when they are spun up. Not overly load, a set of speakers will overpower them, but when surfing the Web quietly, it is noticeable.

Jak_Sparra

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006

Oy vey. Enough already. Who can tell the difference between 36 decibals and 40 decibals?

LOL, this is true. A 2 Db diffrence is not gonna make any diffrence.. atleast not to human beings.

On another note;- i heard from a man in the pub, that the latest thing for pc noise reduction is to get a large peice of thick crushed velvet (prefferably purple) and fit it over your case, cutting holes where the drives and air vents are... Apparently all the harcore PC enthusiast Goths with their fingers on the pulse of fashion are doing it as we speak.

jbentz

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
hmm... to be serious or not, that is the question...

serious answer: I know there are many ways to insulate and kill the noise. That's not the point. The point is, side by side the Rapor screams noise compared to my Maxtor SATA Ultra 200gb 8mb cache 7200rpm drive, and to be honest, is NOT hands down noticeably faster.
And as far as sound, the Maxtor 250 SATA that came in the Media Center, I can't even hear it.

Like I said earlier, in a multi-file large folder, copied from one location to another on either drive in a comparision test, it's true, the Raptor was a full minute faster, so there's that. But as far as booting my system, and opening an application... it's virtually the same speed as the 'slower' drives.

So, pretty sure I'll raid-0 the two maxtors, and return the Raptor.

not so serious answer: two words: ear-plugs. Problem solved.