Netpipes SDK ObjectID question

Hello, my goal is to drive microsoft flight sim using an external data
source. I read the netpipes SDK and am in the process of creating the
binary conversion program from my data source to the "flight video"
..fsr format. I have questions about the section regarding the
"ObjectID" field in the "OBID" data section. According to the SDK:

"The object ID is an ID for a class of objects. Specific instances of
the object will be given a compound ID created from two keys. The
object ID will be in the upper 4 bits of the word, and the lower 12
bits will be the instance ID. Because of this arrangement, the object
ID in the Object Definition must be provided under the mask 0xf000. The
lower 12 bits of this field MUST be 0 in this record."

2 questions arise from this. First, it's my assumption that this
objectID has a direct relationship to a single plane i.e. the one
you're flying. Am I correct?

Second, if my first assumption is true then that means that there are
only 4 bits or 16 unique IDs available. Meaning that there can only be
16 planes (15 surrounding + the one you're flying) that can be
recorded/played back in the flight video. This seems small but then
again, 16 planes in your field of view is a lot I guess. Again, is
this a correct assumption?

please let me know which part of my question(s) is confusing you.

<netkev@gmail.com> wrote in message
> please let me know which part of my question(s) is confusing you.

This group is pretty much people who are just simply "using" the Sim,...not
writing things for it.

I never heard of "Netpipe's SDK".

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

Quilljar wrote:
> uh?
>
> Quilljar
> see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi
> Do not reply personally, all such emails go into my spam filter

Actually, I could not understand any of it, so it was my pathetic attempt at
humour to cover my ignorance - sorry :)
I admire you guys who can use such technical language.

--
Quilljar
see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi
Do not reply personally, all such emails go into my spam filter

Hi netkev,

Well, in my case, it was the bit after "Hello"........ :))

We do have some blokes here that would know what you're asking, so
you'll probably get some answers once they've had time to read your post,
next time they check the news group.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
John Ward
<netkev@gmail.com> wrote in message
> please let me know which part of my question(s) is confusing you.

de

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

I'm finding newsgroups to be a poor source of information for the Flight
Simulator SDK - all groups seem to be just about simply playing FS. I
suggest you head over to www.avsim.com and put your questions in the MSFS
Aircraft and Panel Design Forum. There are lots of good SDK programmers
lurking about there.

DE