PC Left on overnight DLING, woke up to froze MOBO Logo.

nuXan

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
I was downloading last night and turned off the monitor. The next day I turned on the monitor and saw the ASUS logo with the motherboard logo. It was indeed froze at that point. Rebooting had the same issue. I then just took a shower, came back and tried it again. It went into Windows.

Any suggestions on this? Last I checked, after a game my CPU was 42 celcius. I don't think this is overheating. But this system was just built.

amd 64 4000+
evga 7900 gt superclocked
biostar sli came doa -- currently a8n5x -- switching to a8n-e for sata2
4 512 corsair value
ultra 500w ps w/ 20->24 pin converter
WD 250 SATA2

Unfortunately I hate these problems, and the biostar gave me nothing but.
The a8n5x works great, no sata2. But it is giving me this issue.

nuXan

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Somewhat of an update. Removing the battery on the motherboard, among changes to defaults in the bios has somewhat fixed this problem. There weren't many changes done to the bios prior, but I did install all of ASUS's programs off their cd, one was an overclock program which does change the bios settings.

However, it's still unclear, It has still been freezing up in random spots.
I still doubt it's a overheating issue. It's either defective parts or invalid settings in the bios, or possibly a virus in the bios/cmos.

J_man202

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Has this been doing it from the start?
What % is the CPU running at?
Do you have a virus or adware program on there?

if you could answer this that would be great.

nuXan

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Has this been doing it from the start?
What % is the CPU running at?
Do you have a virus or adware program on there?

if you could answer this that would be great.

No it didn't do it from the start, however I finally got it running last Saturday. I was bit torrenting one night and it was locked up on the
mobo logo.

I have AVG Anti Virus (Free.) and I have a copy of the MS Antispyware program (not defender.)

Removing the battery and defaults to bios, and removing the Ai Nos / overclocker program that ASUS supplied seemed to help this problem. It will lock up nearly anywhere hard.

Last I remember (not at that pc.) the CPU wasn't using much processor speed at all. Temp is at 42 celcius.

thanks.

J_man202

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
alright, you could try on of two things right now it sounds like it is a hardware issue,

You said that you have 4 sticks of 512 try taking out 2 sticks and just have one gig and see if that does anything

Second, run a Disk check on the hard drive to see if it has any errors

J_man202

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
it does not sound like it is a video card issue. If it was that then you would be getting black screens where you can see nothing on the monitor

but you never know
you have to start evaluating

TheEldest

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Was it cold in your room?

I have this board (A8N5X), and if it's around 15-20C in my room, my precious doesn't really like to start up.

We're so alike!

nuXan

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
The case I bought pointed out to where the ATX pegs need to go to attach the motherboard. I wasn't aware that there was one I wasn't using by the covered up motherboard. This was shorting out every motherboard I put inside the case. It was quite weird because the 2nd motherboard worked for a few days, the first mobo was doa, and the third mobo worked outside the case but not in. Unfortunate. I was given 10 pegs not 9, so all the screw holes were used.

Now I have a a8n-e motherboard which AMD suggests for a 4000+ san diego (I didn't know this until after I bought it.) And the two prior mobo's were not on the recommended list.

linux_0

Splendid
I was downloading last night and turned off the monitor. The next day I turned on the monitor and saw the ASUS logo with the motherboard logo. It was indeed froze at that point. Rebooting had the same issue. I then just took a shower, came back and tried it again. It went into Windows.

Any suggestions on this? Last I checked, after a game my CPU was 42 celcius. I don't think this is overheating. But this system was just built.

amd 64 4000+
evga 7900 gt superclocked
biostar sli came doa -- currently a8n5x -- switching to a8n-e for sata2
4 512 corsair value
ultra 500w ps w/ 20->24 pin converter
WD 250 SATA2

Unfortunately I hate these problems, and the biostar gave me nothing but.
The a8n5x works great, no sata2. But it is giving me this issue.

Download memtest86 + isorecorder, unzip, burn to CD, boot from it and let memtest test your RAM overnight ( 8 - 12 hours )

http://memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Also you might want to check out speedfan, MBM5 or ASUS doctor to monitor your temps and voltages to see if it's a voltage or heat issue.

Good luck! :D

TRENDING THREADS