How do I get rid of MS Messenger Pop Up?

Hi Folks,

I know this is basic, but bear with me.

Whenever I access the internet, an annoying little blue box appears,
informing me I have to "click here" to activate my MS Messenger connection.

I don't use MS Messenger, and I probably never will. The little blue box
pop-up gripes me because it's there. I have enough intrusions into my
efforts to operate this electronic marvel, without dealing with this "little
blue amoeba minded villiage idiot" of a reminder that I need to join the
"computer" world of fancy and dancy.

Can anyone help? By the way, I've already thought of bashing the hell out
of the computer with a sledge hammer, so forget that suggestion.

ambrin

A. M. Brineman wrote:
> No thanks. I don't need MORE software that I don't understand.
>

> "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
>
>>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>>Line 95 {]:~)

Actually Kelly's fixes are pretty easy. You just click on it
it will ask if you want to save the file, save it to your desktop
and double click it to run it. All it does it make a change to the
registry so you don't have to dig into it.

gls858

A. M,
Thing you can do to rid yourself MS Mess Pop-up.

1. Open MS Messenger> TOOLS> Preferences> Uncheck boxes for Starting program when Windows starts, and Allow Program in the background, or words to that effect.

2. Start button> Programs> Startup folder> make sure that there is not a shortcut for Windows Messenger, there. If there is, move it out, or delete it.

3. You can uninstall it.
Control Panel> Add/Remove Software> Add/Remove Windows Components> Uncheck Windows Messenger> Apply.

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

A. M. Brineman wrote:
> No thanks. I don't need MORE software that I don't understand.

This is the problem, you don't understand and apparently don't want to
listen to anyone who is trying to help you with your problem.

If you are indeed seeing the Messenger Service pop-ups, it means that you do
not have your firewall turned on, which means that you are vulnerable to any
malicous parasite that wants to attack your computer. This would not
normally be a problem except that the current batch of parasites can also
take control of your computer and use it broadcast their malicious payload
to everyone else who is surfing the internet.

Do yourself and everyone else a favor by learning how to properly configure
your system.

Description of the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320855

HOW TO: Enable or Disable Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=283673

--
Regards,

Ronnie Vernon