Sudden Slow-Down?

ravroid

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
After installing some desktop customization programs for Windows 7, I noticed that my games run with lower framerates. I also notice that things are loading up a little slower, and when I drag a selection box on my desktop, it's very laggy.

This is all very strange to me, as I just built this computer about a month ago, and it's meant to be a gaming computer.

My general specs are:
- AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Processor - 3.2 GHz
- 4 GBs of DDR3 RAM & 1600Mhz
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
- My graphics card is a PowerColor AX6850 Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

I uninstalled the two programs (Rainmeter and Fences), restarted my system a couple of times, disabled various startup items and services, uninstalled some unnecessary programs, ran a virus scan with Malware Bytes and Spybot Search & Destroy, ran CCleaner, and I am still facing this slow down. My CPU temperatures are also staying at 20C to 25C, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Could windows be running an index or something in the background? Or is there a conflict with the operating system after using these desktop customization tools?

Thanks!

Solution
You could go into bios and check the configurations. Also reload vid drivers and check your cards stats with catylist control center. Also try system restore.

mw14220

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
You could go into bios and check the configurations. Also reload vid drivers and check your cards stats with catylist control center. Also try system restore.

Solution
The thing is, when you download "customization tools" free from the internet, or when you download free security programs from the internet, or when you run multiple security programs all at the same time:
you can expect nothing but problems.
Most of all, avoid any free downloads, especially the ones that claim they will fix, clean or speed up your computer. These types of free software are a scam, to plant spyware in your computer.
You will learn that, someday.

A. Delete all free downloads, especially the ones you already named, restart.
B. Insert win 7 install disk, select: "upgrade"
C. This will reinstall the operating system, without erasing your personal stuff.
D. When your system is running normally again, install a professional all in one security system. This WILL NOT be a free download.
E. activate, update, and scan entire computer with your professional security.

Now, if you can resist installing more free junk programs, your computer will probably work just fine.

ravroid

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
After running a performance issue test (included in Windows), it found that my Power Saver settings were a problem. I had just recently changed them, but I didn't suspect that they'd have anything to do with the problem.

Also, I installed some optional Windows system updates that I had not included for some reason. I hoped that they would fix some system files.

And finally, I changed my performance & appearance settings to "Best performance" and then back to "Best Appearance".

My problem is fixed now, I'm not sure which one caused it.

Regardless, thanks for all of your help!

ravroid

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
@ soundguruman - Yes, that is common knowledge. I never download "freebies" or security tools. Infact, I've been hired to remove those rogue "security tools" from peoples' computers. Plenty of experience. And I uninstalled Malwarebytes before using Spybot.

Thanks for the tips!

bloodpressure123

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Guys have you checked which app uses the most cpu usage? Because it worked for me. And also remove any unwanted stuff from msconfig. Like unknown updaters and stuff like that. But mainly check which uses the cpu usage on taskmgr/processes.