Question on Asus A8N5X vs Asrocks dual Sata 2

phillyman36

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
What are or are there any differences between an Asrocks dual stat 2 and a board based on nforce 4 like the Asus A8N5X. What are the benefits from choosing one over the other? Does one network connection run faster, does one communicate to other devices slightly faster? Would a pc equiped with the same hardware run slightly faster ie video encoding (non gaming performance) and if so why?

Haven't looked at the asus board, so I don't know which chipset it uses. But the dual sata II has support for either agp or pci-e, a big plus for some folks who aren't ready to give up their old video card. The cpu has the most influence on video encoding and multitasking. Nforce4 might be slightly faster than the uli 1695 chipset, but I would still choose a board with the features you need most and the price you're willing to pay. If video encoding is more important than gaming for you, I would look at the Intel 805 dual core cpu. It's slower in gaming, but faster in multitasking and video encoding. The athlon 64 x2 dual core is clearly superior, but about twice the price. It's your money.