mechluke

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Guys i have a question for you.Are there any motherboards,cases and PSUs currently available in BTX form?And if there are would it be recommended for someone to use BTX or is it too early?I think that sooner or later the ATX form will die.What do u think?

zyzplasmaz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
there are BTX cases and motherboard. the psu is the same i think.
dell uses it BUT for the general public, ATX still has 1-2 yrs in it. Intel is trying to switch to BTX but that's probably at least a year away. so if you're going to get a new pc, ATX is fine.
Will ATX die eventually? probably? will BTX replace it? maybe, maybe not? it depends on if the pc manufactures want to use BTX or Something completely different. btx is mainly supported by intel since they made the specs but i think it's free to implement.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
btx seems like a very good idea, so if u can find a decent btx mobo id say go for it, it offers superior cooling. but if not, u can get the antec case, it flips an atx mobo upsidedown so its basically cheap mans btx :p

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Guys i have a question for you.Are there any motherboards,cases and PSUs currently available in BTX form?And if there are would it be recommended for someone to use BTX or is it too early?I think that sooner or later the ATX form will die.What do u think?

Yes, motherboards are made in the BTX form factor. However not many manufacturers do this (Intel does). Also the CPU should be branded as BTX as well because of the different cooling solution for the BTX form factor.

I heard that the case may contain the cooling solution for the CPU, but I'm not sure on that one.

Cases are showing up using BTX, but its usually able to go between ATX and BTX, there was a Tom's article on that a little bit back.

The BTX specifications are set, so you don't have to worry about things changing and being incompatible. BTX is gaining a little momentum because of the smaller form factors - picoBTX, etc. But its mostly computers like Dell, name brand computers that are moving to that route.

Sure, ATX will die, but probably only when BTX-only hardware is sold. ATX has still got a lot of life in it in my opinion. Personally I'd prefer BTX because of the better cooling solution, but hey, ATX is here and changing all the manufacturer's processes, etc might be expensive, which is why I think BTX hasn't moved quickly in the past year or so.

If you're too scared to go BTX, then a good quiet ATX will do fine. Antec's P180 is nice and quiet, and works on similar principles.

Here's some articles:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1772015,00.asp
http://www.cooltechzone.com/Special_Reports/Special_Reports/CES_2006_Coverage:_BTX_Standard_Gradually_Sees_Market_Adoption_200601112126/

Bruxbox

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
I'm designing a new system based on microBTX right now.

I'm using a Silverstone LC15 case. It is a desktop and has some style. The round grill on the front reminds me of a Mercedes Benz from the 50's.

The grill is functional as well as ornamental. It hides a big round vent, and it leads to a specialized thermal module that houses the fan, fins, and heat sink for a Intel Pentium processor, either P4 or PD. The fan in the thermal module draws cool air in through the grill, and the air goes through the module over the fins over the heat sink, and out the rear.

See the BTX Design Guide at FormFactors.org.

I stared a thread over at BTXFormFactor.info discussing the design and building process.

Thread at BTXFormFactor

Presently, I'm looking for a proper graphics card.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Too early? More like too late! BTX is an old solution to Intel's Prescott heat problems. Prescott, and the dual-cores that are based on it, are fading away.

You might as well ask if it's too early to consider NLX!

TRENDING THREADS