Try this one fellas

G'day gents !

I live in the Atlanta reqion and being tha aviation fanatic that I, often
have my lunch over looking Dobbins ARB. The base also happens to share
their runway with Lockheed Martin where the Raptor and C130J are made.

Why and when I don't know, but there is a C-5 Galaxy that lands and parks
at the L-M plant, I quess to bring (take) supplies. The runway is
short, the base is literally in a hole, and to see this guy land is quite
a sight. I was once driving along Cobb Parkway and saw the thing abort a
landing and fly a couple of hundred feet over head with the engines just
wailing, flaps and gear goin' up. Depending on the wind and atmospheric
conditions, the pilot sometimes needs a few tries to set 'er down and
also every inch of the runway.

Try it, and you'll see how hard it really is. These guys are really
talented in landing this beast !

You can get the C5 from AVSIM, or use a 747-400. The a/p's ICAO id is
KMGE (Marietta, GA), and please don't land in,on or near my house !
--
e v e n S k y

Athlon 266Ghz
1 G Ram
GeForce FX5900XT
160G H-D
80G H-D
WXP, FS9
CH Products Yoke and Rud Ped's

petebert

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003

i typed KMGE in airnav and got Dobbins Air Reserve Base with a 10k runway

"evenSky" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> G'day gents !
>
> I live in the Atlanta reqion and being tha aviation fanatic that I, often
> have my lunch over looking Dobbins ARB. The base also happens to share
> their runway with Lockheed Martin where the Raptor and C130J are made.
>
> Why and when I don't know, but there is a C-5 Galaxy that lands and parks
> at the L-M plant, I quess to bring (take) supplies. The runway is
> short, the base is literally in a hole, and to see this guy land is quite
> a sight. I was once driving along Cobb Parkway and saw the thing abort a
> landing and fly a couple of hundred feet over head with the engines just
> wailing, flaps and gear goin' up. Depending on the wind and atmospheric
> conditions, the pilot sometimes needs a few tries to set 'er down and
> also every inch of the runway.
>
> Try it, and you'll see how hard it really is. These guys are really
> talented in landing this beast !
>
> You can get the C5 from AVSIM, or use a 747-400. The a/p's ICAO id is
> KMGE (Marietta, GA), and please don't land in,on or near my house !
> --
> e v e n S k y
>
> Athlon 266Ghz
> 1 G Ram
> GeForce FX5900XT
> 160G H-D
> 80G H-D
> WXP, FS9
> CH Products Yoke and Rud Ped's

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

evenSky wrote:

> Why and when I don't know, but there is a C-5 Galaxy that lands and parks
> at the L-M plant, I quess to bring (take) supplies. The runway is
> short, the base is literally in a hole, and to see this guy land is quite
> a sight. I was once driving along Cobb Parkway and saw the thing abort a
> landing and fly a couple of hundred feet over head with the engines just
> wailing, flaps and gear goin' up. Depending on the wind and atmospheric
> conditions, the pilot sometimes needs a few tries to set 'er down and
> also every inch of the runway.
>
> Try it, and you'll see how hard it really is. These guys are really
> talented in landing this beast !
>
> You can get the C5 from AVSIM, or use a 747-400. The a/p's ICAO id is
> KMGE (Marietta, GA), and please don't land in,on or near my house !

Thanks ES, I'm off to get the C-5. The 747 just taxi's down the runway
when I go full throttle. Must be something in the checklist I don't
have, but when Quilling about, who needs checklists.....

--

(Smiling) boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Any chance of grabbing a video clip of this? Would be great to see it
'real'.

On Tue, 31 May 2005 20:31:34 -0500, evenSky <evensky1@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>G'day gents !
>
>I live in the Atlanta reqion and being tha aviation fanatic that I, often
>have my lunch over looking Dobbins ARB. The base also happens to share
>their runway with Lockheed Martin where the Raptor and C130J are made.
>
>Why and when I don't know, but there is a C-5 Galaxy that lands and parks
>at the L-M plant, I quess to bring (take) supplies. The runway is
>short, the base is literally in a hole, and to see this guy land is quite
>a sight. I was once driving along Cobb Parkway and saw the thing abort a
>landing and fly a couple of hundred feet over head with the engines just
>wailing, flaps and gear goin' up. Depending on the wind and atmospheric
>conditions, the pilot sometimes needs a few tries to set 'er down and
>also every inch of the runway.
>
>Try it, and you'll see how hard it really is. These guys are really
>talented in landing this beast !
>
>You can get the C5 from AVSIM, or use a 747-400. The a/p's ICAO id is
>KMGE (Marietta, GA), and please don't land in,on or near my house !

I live in ATL also and that runway at Dobbins is pretty long, in fact
that is where all the C5 A's and B's were built. One of the first
flights of the C5 for big wigs in the government was piloted by an Air
Force General. I am told that he took off went up to about 2,000 agl
and did a wingover and flyby over the runway at about 300 feet, just
to show what a great flying machine it was , despite it's size.

Bob

"Dave Potter" <potter55@ntlworld.com> wrote in news:x7hne.14671$RG2.11323
@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net:

> Any chance of grabbing a video clip of this? Would be great to see it
> 'real'.

In these days of big brother watching, lemme ask you this...

If you were an MP and saw a guy filming stuff by a military base, what
would you do?

--
e v e n S k y

Athlon 266Ghz
1 G Ram
GeForce FX5900XT
160G H-D
80G H-D
WXP, FS9
CH Products Yoke and Rud Ped's

"evenSky" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> G'day gents !
>>
>> I live in the Atlanta reqion and being tha aviation fanatic that I, often
>> have my lunch over looking Dobbins ARB.

Quick question as I also live in 'Hotlanta', but near PDK.
Where's that good overlook point for Dobbins - street level??

Every time I drive past it I see nothing but buildings or trees :(

Thanks,

-=tom=-

Tom Orle <xspam.torle@comcast.net> wrote in

> "evenSky" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> G'day gents !
>>>
>>> I live in the Atlanta reqion and being tha aviation fanatic that I,
>>> often have my lunch over looking Dobbins ARB.
>
> Quick question as I also live in 'Hotlanta', but near PDK.
> Where's that good overlook point for Dobbins - street level??
>
> Every time I drive past it I see nothing but buildings or trees :(
>
> Thanks,
>
> -=tom=-

Pep Boys parking lot, on Cobb Parkway (between General Lucius Parkway
(hwy 280)) and Spring Road. This will put you East of the runway.If you
are gutsy enough to film it, let me know and maybe I can bail you out and
share the pic's ;)

The other end of the runway passes by Atlanta road, and yes, you cannot
see a thing.

As a foot note, during the last defense related base closures, NAS
Atlanta, which is at Dobbins, will be closing. They have a runway that
is the same size as an A/C carrier and once in a while, F18's pratice
there.

--

"evenSky" wrote:

> If you were an MP and saw a guy filming stuff by a military base, what
> would you do?

Asking him, where he come from, insist that his administration have chemical
weapons, and invade the country?

"evenSky" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> <snip>
>

> e v e n S k y
>
> Athlon 266Ghz
> 1 G Ram
> GeForce FX5900XT
> 160G H-D
> 80G H-D
> WXP, FS9
> CH Products Yoke and Rud Ped's

Any chance you can let me know which Athlon you're using? I'd LOVE to have
266Ghz of speed. Shame I wouldn't be able to get a HD and RAM to match :)

>> Any chance of grabbing a video clip of this? Would be great to see it
>> 'real'.

> In these days of big brother watching, lemme ask you this...
>
> If you were an MP and saw a guy filming stuff by a military base, what
> would you do?

> e v e n S k y

Sounds like you were on a public highway... not a problem anywhere as it is
natural for people to snap up any exciting action and they are free to do so
under most laws.
Of course the exception is the States where you may risk your liberty. I
can visulise a scene of sirens and choppers in response :)

Butts

"Jimbo1999" <jimbo1999@supanet.com> wrote in

> "evenSky" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>> e v e n S k y
>>
>> Athlon 266Ghz
>> 1 G Ram
>> GeForce FX5900XT
>> 160G H-D
>> 80G H-D
>> WXP, FS9
>> CH Products Yoke and Rud Ped's
>
> Any chance you can let me know which Athlon you're using? I'd LOVE to
> have 266Ghz of speed. Shame I wouldn't be able to get a HD and RAM to
> match :)

Athalon XP
2600+ (333)
This according to BIOS