unable fly KMIA to KEYW

Recently, I have been unable to complete a flight from Miami to Key West
without an "automatic program close to desktop." I have several add-on
aircraft and the most recent aircraft I added was a representation of an
aircraft that is used on this particular route. The flight and program are
functioning normally until I am instructed to descend to 2000' and turn to a
particular heading. This heading that I am turning to is the last turn to
get lined up with the runway at Key West. When I am halfway through the
turn, FS9 automatically shuts itself down and goes to the desktop.

I have been able to fly to and land at Key West before without experiencing
this problem. When I posted this question on various FS websites, some
suggestions were made to simply use the "rollback" feature in Windows. For
some reason, I had this feature turned off so I am not able to go back to a
restore point and make a test flight to that airport and see if the same
issue arises again.

This issue is happening with all aircraft (default and add-ons). I assume
that the only option at this point is to do a reinstall. I'm wondering if I
should do a fresh re-install or just remove the program from the add/remove
program list. I have instructions on how to do a fresh install.
15 answers Last reply
More about unable kmia keyw

    If it does not depend on the aircraft and happens always at the same point,
    than I suspect it is some scenery problem. When you approach to an area, FS
    loads the corresponding scenery file, so if it is corrupted or something...
    Do you use some add-on scenery for Key West area?

    (but you probably already thought of this yourself. Sorry I can't be of
    more help)

    On Tue, 31 May 2005 23:38:18 -0400, Charlie Brookhart wrote:

    > Recently, I have been unable to complete a flight from Miami to Key West
    > without an "automatic program close to desktop." I have several add-on
    > aircraft and the most recent aircraft I added was a representation of an

    > This issue is happening with all aircraft (default and add-ons). I assume
    > that the only option at this point is to do a reinstall. I'm wondering if I
    > should do a fresh re-install or just remove the program from the add/remove
    > program list. I have instructions on how to do a fresh install.

    Charlie ,

    Have youitried any other flights over similar terrain to see if it happens
    again after about the same length of time? If so, it is almost certainly
    overheating. A temporary solution would be to take the cover off the
    computer and use a small room fan. You can also buy fans on a card to put
    into a spare PCI slot.
    I have suffered and cured this problem myself.

    Quilljar
    see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi
    Do not reply personally, all such emails go into my spam filter

    >Recently, I have been unable to complete a flight from Miami to Key West
    >without an "automatic program close to desktop." I have several add-on
    >aircraft and the most recent aircraft I added was a representation of an
    >aircraft that is used on this particular route. The flight and program are
    >functioning normally until I am instructed to descend to 2000' and turn to a
    >particular heading. This heading that I am turning to is the last turn to
    >get lined up with the runway at Key West. When I am halfway through the
    >turn, FS9 automatically shuts itself down and goes to the desktop.
    >
    >I have been able to fly to and land at Key West before without experiencing
    >this problem. When I posted this question on various FS websites, some
    >suggestions were made to simply use the "rollback" feature in Windows. For
    >some reason, I had this feature turned off so I am not able to go back to a
    >restore point and make a test flight to that airport and see if the same
    >issue arises again.
    >
    >This issue is happening with all aircraft (default and add-ons). I assume
    >that the only option at this point is to do a reinstall. I'm wondering if I
    >should do a fresh re-install or just remove the program from the add/remove
    >program list. I have instructions on how to do a fresh install.

    Did you install the FS9.1 update? Do you have add-on scenery installed
    for that area or others? Did you try changing the season?

    ===
    Best Regards
    Katy

    "Charlie Brookhart" <charliebrookhart46@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Recently, I have been unable to complete a flight from Miami to Key West
    > without an "automatic program close to desktop." I have several add-on
    > aircraft and the most recent aircraft I added was a representation of an
    > aircraft that is used on this particular route. The flight and program are
    > functioning normally until I am instructed to descend to 2000' and turn to
    > particular heading. This heading that I am turning to is the last turn to
    > get lined up with the runway at Key West. When I am halfway through the
    > turn, FS9 automatically shuts itself down and goes to the desktop.
    >
    > I have been able to fly to and land at Key West before without
    experiencing
    > this problem. When I posted this question on various FS websites, some
    > suggestions were made to simply use the "rollback" feature in Windows. For
    > some reason, I had this feature turned off so I am not able to go back to
    > restore point and make a test flight to that airport and see if the same
    > issue arises again.
    >
    > This issue is happening with all aircraft (default and add-ons). I assume
    > that the only option at this point is to do a reinstall. I'm wondering if
    > should do a fresh re-install or just remove the program from the
    add/remove
    > program list. I have instructions on how to do a fresh install.

    It could be a bug in the scenery. When I used to
    fly with FS5 a decade ago, some scenery for
    Borispol airport in Kiev used to cause the same
    problem.

    "Charlie Brookhart" <charliebrookhart46@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
    > Recently, I have been unable to complete a flight from Miami to Key West
    > without an "automatic program close to desktop."

    This problem sounds very very familiar to me.

    Try to find out the temperature of your GPU (graphical card), it might get
    too high, causing the system to reboot. If so, buy a cooler like Zalman.
    That's what solved my problem.
    You might also want to try to set all graphical settings in FS to minimal
    and see how long you will be able to play without crashing (i.e. the pc:-)).
    If the system doesn't crash anymore it certainly was the temperature that
    caused the problem.

    "Henk" <henk@lkjdfksdj.com> schreef in bericht
    > "Charlie Brookhart" <charliebrookhart46@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
    > > Recently, I have been unable to complete a flight from Miami to Key West
    > > without an "automatic program close to desktop."
    >
    > This problem sounds very very familiar to me.

    Oops, I did't read your posting too well: you mentioned the system returned
    to the desktop, not do a complete reboot....

    Sorry....

    I don't believe the problem to be associated with the graphics card because
    I can do other flights (short and long distances) without any problems. When
    doing a flight from Miami to Key West, FS9 exits to the desktop at the same
    point every time. I have a pci slot fan installed under the video card.

    I don't have any add-on scenery for Key West. I do have add-on scenery
    installed for Miami. As I mentioned, I have previously been able to do this
    flight without any problems, but now it doesn't work.

    I will run the afcad checker and see if there is any duplicates found. I
    haven't installed the FS9.1 update.
    If no duplicates are found, I will try to install the FS9.1 update and see
    what happens.

    "Katy Pluta" <katypluta@hotmail.invalid> wrote in message
    > >Recently, I have been unable to complete a flight from Miami to Key West
    > >without an "automatic program close to desktop." I have several add-on
    > >aircraft and the most recent aircraft I added was a representation of an
    > >aircraft that is used on this particular route. The flight and program
    are
    > >functioning normally until I am instructed to descend to 2000' and turn
    to a
    > >particular heading. This heading that I am turning to is the last turn to
    > >get lined up with the runway at Key West. When I am halfway through the
    > >turn, FS9 automatically shuts itself down and goes to the desktop.
    > >
    > >I have been able to fly to and land at Key West before without
    experiencing
    > >this problem. When I posted this question on various FS websites, some
    > >suggestions were made to simply use the "rollback" feature in Windows.
    For
    > >some reason, I had this feature turned off so I am not able to go back to
    > >restore point and make a test flight to that airport and see if the same
    > >issue arises again.
    > >
    > >This issue is happening with all aircraft (default and add-ons). I assume
    > >that the only option at this point is to do a reinstall. I'm wondering if
    > >should do a fresh re-install or just remove the program from the
    add/remove
    > >program list. I have instructions on how to do a fresh install.
    > >

    > Did you install the FS9.1 update? Do you have add-on scenery installed
    > for that area or others? Did you try changing the season?
    >
    > ===
    > Best Regards
    > Katy

    On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 09:01:57 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >Charlie ,
    >
    >Have youitried any other flights over similar terrain to see if it happens
    >again after about the same length of time? If so, it is almost certainly
    >overheating. A temporary solution would be to take the cover off the
    >computer and use a small room fan. You can also buy fans on a card to put
    >into a spare PCI slot.
    >I have suffered and cured this problem myself.
    >

    > Quilljar
    > see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi
    >Do not reply personally, all such emails go into my spam filter

    I don't think it has anything to do with temperature, because the
    probability of the temp locking up the video card at the same
    position on the flight, would be pretty low. And in my opinion,
    reinstalling FS9 for a problem like you have is like burning your
    house down to get rid of some bugs ;).

    Sounds like you might have a duplicate AFCAD on your scenery.
    Download scanafd.zip from avsim.com and run it. I bet you will find
    some duplicate AFDs, and all you have to do is rename the one you
    don't want. The program makes it very easy to do that.

    Bob

    Katy,

    Nice to see your name of the forum. I asked about you and the old gang from
    the other sight that went defunct. Heard back from Melissa (didn't know she
    was now Lawn Dart) and she said you and Mac were still around but didn't
    know about Bill Irvine. Do you know if Mac got anymore scenery done?

    Anyway hope to hear from you again.

    Mr. Steve (formerly of the White Mountains - KSOW Now of Deer Valley - KDVT

    "Katy Pluta" <katypluta@hotmail.invalid> wrote in message
    > >Recently, I have been unable to complete a flight from Miami to Key West
    >>without an "automatic program close to desktop." I have several add-on
    >>aircraft and the most recent aircraft I added was a representation of an
    >>aircraft that is used on this particular route. The flight and program are
    >>functioning normally until I am instructed to descend to 2000' and turn to
    >>particular heading. This heading that I am turning to is the last turn to
    >>get lined up with the runway at Key West. When I am halfway through the
    >>turn, FS9 automatically shuts itself down and goes to the desktop.
    >>
    >>I have been able to fly to and land at Key West before without
    >>experiencing
    >>this problem. When I posted this question on various FS websites, some
    >>suggestions were made to simply use the "rollback" feature in Windows. For
    >>some reason, I had this feature turned off so I am not able to go back to
    >>restore point and make a test flight to that airport and see if the same
    >>issue arises again.
    >>
    >>This issue is happening with all aircraft (default and add-ons). I assume
    >>that the only option at this point is to do a reinstall. I'm wondering if
    >>should do a fresh re-install or just remove the program from the
    >>add/remove
    >>program list. I have instructions on how to do a fresh install.
    >>

    > Did you install the FS9.1 update? Do you have add-on scenery installed
    > for that area or others? Did you try changing the season?
    >
    > ===
    > Best Regards
    > Katy

    Charlie, I don't think the restore feature built into Windows XP will help
    unless you are having problems booting or with the OS specifically. Sounds
    like the problem is strictly Sim related. It should be easy to check for a
    the scenery problem, I believe. I would save the scenario that you are
    flying about two to three minutes before you are to begin your turn. That
    way you can restart from that point at any time. Once you load that saved
    flight, go to the Options menu and set you scenery sliders to the left to
    reduce or prevent the loading of many of the scenery files. If you can
    complete the turn and land you may want to restart the saved flight, go to
    Options and add scenery detail by moving sliders to the right in increments
    until you get the crash. Others might correct me, but this might at least
    identify the problem as scenery related. Others on this group can, then,
    tell you how to reload or replace a portion of scenery from the original
    CD's in the event a file may have become corrupt. These are really smart
    gals and guys on this group.
    Danny

    "Charlie Brookhart" <charliebrookhart46@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Recently, I have been unable to complete a flight from Miami to Key West
    > without an "automatic program close to desktop." I have several add-on
    > aircraft and the most recent aircraft I added was a representation of an
    > aircraft that is used on this particular route. The flight and program are
    > functioning normally until I am instructed to descend to 2000' and turn to
    > particular heading. This heading that I am turning to is the last turn to
    > get lined up with the runway at Key West. When I am halfway through the
    > turn, FS9 automatically shuts itself down and goes to the desktop.
    >
    > I have been able to fly to and land at Key West before without
    experiencing
    > this problem. When I posted this question on various FS websites, some
    > suggestions were made to simply use the "rollback" feature in Windows. For
    > some reason, I had this feature turned off so I am not able to go back to
    > restore point and make a test flight to that airport and see if the same
    > issue arises again.
    >
    > This issue is happening with all aircraft (default and add-ons). I assume
    > that the only option at this point is to do a reinstall. I'm wondering if
    > should do a fresh re-install or just remove the program from the
    add/remove
    > program list. I have instructions on how to do a fresh install.

    Charlie

    Might be worth deleting all flights,plans and weather files etc for flight
    to from these airports. Also bin the last flight, temporary flight etc. Do
    this in explorer with FS closed and then boot

    HTH
    Steve

> [...]

    > turn, FS9 automatically shuts itself down and goes to the desktop.
    >
    > I have been able to fly to and land at Key West before without
    > experiencing
    > this problem. When I posted this question on various FS websites, some
    > suggestions were made to simply use the "rollback" feature in Windows. For
    > some reason, I had this feature turned off so I am not able to go back to
    > restore point and make a test flight to that airport and see if the same
    > issue arises again.
    >
    > This issue is happening with all aircraft (default and add-ons). I assume
    > that the only option at this point is to do a reinstall. I'm wondering if
    > should do a fresh re-install or just remove the program from the
    > add/remove
    > program list. I have instructions on how to do a fresh install.

    I had a similar problem arriving into Miami and it was caused by a faulty
    3rd party AFCAD for KMIA. Although I did not have a CTD, the sim froze and
    kept trying to load the bgl and it hung for awhile then cleared. Removing
    the afcad file solved the problem. It maybe you have a 3rd party Afcad for
    KEYW or a close airport and as you pass nearby the sim tries to load it and
    it crashes.

    If not an AFCAD problem then 3rd party scenery could also be the problem.

    Good luck
    Bill

    "Henk" <henk@lkjdfksdj.com> wrote:

    >Try to find out the temperature of your GPU (graphical card), it might get
    >too high,

    That's unlikely if it always happens at the same spot - i.e. halfway
    thru the last turn.
    The chances of the GPU overheating everytime at exactly the same spot
    is rather remote.

    A failure of this nature usually points more to a scenery conflict,
    IMHO.

    -=tom=-

    >I don't believe the problem to be associated with the graphics card because
    >I can do other flights (short and long distances) without any problems. When
    >doing a flight from Miami to Key West, FS9 exits to the desktop at the same
    >point every time. I have a pci slot fan installed under the video card.
    >
    >I don't have any add-on scenery for Key West. I do have add-on scenery
    >installed for Miami. As I mentioned, I have previously been able to do this
    >flight without any problems, but now it doesn't work.
    >
    >I will run the afcad checker and see if there is any duplicates found. I
    >haven't installed the FS9.1 update.
    >If no duplicates are found, I will try to install the FS9.1 update and see
    >what happens.

    I don't think I was pointing to the graphic card? It might be the well
    known seasonal bug if you did not install the FS9.1 update, it fixes
    it so I would recommend you to install it. You did not answer if you
    did change the season? If it doesn't crash anymore it is for sure said
    bug, install the update...

    ===
    Best Regards
    Katy

    I ran the scanafd utility and there was only one duplicate file, which was
    for the KIAD airport. I am trying out the simflyers scenery. As far as AFCAD
    files go, there were no duplicates. The utility shows that a project AI
    AFCAD for KEYW is being used.

    It looks like the next thing to try is changing the season and installing
    the 9.1 update. Hopefully one or both of these things will fix the problem.

    "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message

    > "Charlie Brookhart" <charliebrookhart46@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Recently, I have been unable to complete a flight from Miami to Key West
    > > without an "automatic program close to desktop." I have several add-on
    > > aircraft and the most recent aircraft I added was a representation of an
    > > aircraft that is used on this particular route. The flight and program
    are
    > > functioning normally until I am instructed to descend to 2000' and turn
    > > particular heading. This heading that I am turning to is the last turn
    > > get lined up with the runway at Key West. When I am halfway through the
    > > turn, FS9 automatically shuts itself down and goes to the desktop.
    > >
    > > I have been able to fly to and land at Key West before without
    > > experiencing
    > > this problem. When I posted this question on various FS websites, some
    > > suggestions were made to simply use the "rollback" feature in Windows.
    For
    > > some reason, I had this feature turned off so I am not able to go back
    > > restore point and make a test flight to that airport and see if the same
    > > issue arises again.
    > >
    > > This issue is happening with all aircraft (default and add-ons). I
    assume
    > > that the only option at this point is to do a reinstall. I'm wondering
    if
    > > should do a fresh re-install or just remove the program from the
    > > add/remove
    > > program list. I have instructions on how to do a fresh install.
    > >

    > I had a similar problem arriving into Miami and it was caused by a faulty
    > 3rd party AFCAD for KMIA. Although I did not have a CTD, the sim froze and
    > kept trying to load the bgl and it hung for awhile then cleared. Removing
    > the afcad file solved the problem. It maybe you have a 3rd party Afcad for
    > KEYW or a close airport and as you pass nearby the sim tries to load it
    and
    > it crashes.
    >
    > If not an AFCAD problem then 3rd party scenery could also be the problem.
    >
    > Good luck
    > Bill

Video Games