Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GPS Software for tracking mileage

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 9:25:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Is there software that will let me track business mileage using gps?

Thanks,
Devin
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 5:19:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Try using a GPS newsgroup, this isn't really a ppc question. You should get
more joy there- and an internet search will probably bring you relevant
sites.


"Devin Hughey" <yep.nope@maybe.com> wrote in message
news:blL8d.3554$MJ6.14@twister.socal.rr.com...
> Is there software that will let me track business mileage using gps?
>
> Thanks,
> Devin
>
>
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 7:50:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Specifically looking for Pocket PC software for this purpose and a web
search turned up nothing.

Thanks

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
news:ck13ao$k1m$4@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Try using a GPS newsgroup, this isn't really a ppc question. You should
> get
> more joy there- and an internet search will probably bring you relevant
> sites.
>
>
> "Devin Hughey" <yep.nope@maybe.com> wrote in message
> news:blL8d.3554$MJ6.14@twister.socal.rr.com...
>> Is there software that will let me track business mileage using gps?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Devin
>>
>>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 8:25:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

This is an interesting question that I feel is ripe for a solution.

While I don't think that the ppc running a gps is the best way to
address the need, but consider the following which combines a gps, ppc
and ppc.

Use any stand alone GPS that maintains an an exportable track. Leave in
vehicle tracking at all times.

Use the ppc voice recorder to note job names as trips start

Export the track and sound wav files to the pc

Wav files contain date/times that get associated with the trip start,
software associates that time with waypoint and either determines stop
point (i.e. no motion for 15 minutes) or asks the user to pick stop
point, and calculates the trip distance.

user adds the job name

software creates a log of job/date/time/distance

user has the option of re-relating and adjusting the track log with the jobs

Beverly Howard
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 8:42:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

This may do what youre looking for http://www.delorme.com/bluelogger/

Mitch



"Devin Hughey" <yep.nope@maybe.com> wrote in message
news:blL8d.3554$MJ6.14@twister.socal.rr.com...
> Is there software that will let me track business mileage using gps?
>
> Thanks,
> Devin
>
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 9:08:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

thanks, that would do it, unfortunately it is bluetooth which I do not have
on my pocket pc


"Mitch_A" <naman-nospam@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:6gV8d.24814$QJ3.19155@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> This may do what youre looking for http://www.delorme.com/bluelogger/
>
> Mitch
>
>
>
> "Devin Hughey" <yep.nope@maybe.com> wrote in message
> news:blL8d.3554$MJ6.14@twister.socal.rr.com...
>> Is there software that will let me track business mileage using gps?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Devin
>>
>
>
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 9:27:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I dont believe the logging aspect works on the PPC anyway. You need to
upload the logged data to a desktop PC then analyze it.

Mitch


"Devin Hughey" <yep.nope@maybe.com> wrote in message
news:5EV8d.3986$MJ6.2901@twister.socal.rr.com...
> thanks, that would do it, unfortunately it is bluetooth which I do not
> have on my pocket pc
>
>
> "Mitch_A" <naman-nospam@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> news:6gV8d.24814$QJ3.19155@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
>> This may do what youre looking for http://www.delorme.com/bluelogger/
>>
>> Mitch
>>
>>
>>
>> "Devin Hughey" <yep.nope@maybe.com> wrote in message
>> news:blL8d.3554$MJ6.14@twister.socal.rr.com...
>>> Is there software that will let me track business mileage using gps?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Devin
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 10:40:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

It's still worth seeking out the gps groups, they'll probably have more
experience.


"Devin Hughey" <yep.nope@maybe.com> wrote in message
news:rvU8d.3874$MJ6.3353@twister.socal.rr.com...
> Specifically looking for Pocket PC software for this purpose and a web
> search turned up nothing.
>
> Thanks
>
> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:ck13ao$k1m$4@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
> > Try using a GPS newsgroup, this isn't really a ppc question. You should
> > get
> > more joy there- and an internet search will probably bring you relevant
> > sites.
> >
> >
> > "Devin Hughey" <yep.nope@maybe.com> wrote in message
> > news:blL8d.3554$MJ6.14@twister.socal.rr.com...
> >> Is there software that will let me track business mileage using gps?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Devin
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 11:50:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Devin Hughey wrote:
> thanks, that would do it, unfortunately it is bluetooth which I do
> not have on my pocket pc

There are plenty of PocketPC apps that will track business mileage but none
have GPS features and I know of some GPS apps that will show mileage but
none that I am aware of specifically designed for the purposes of logging
business mileage.

--
Darren Griffin
PocketGPSWorld - www.pocketgpsworld.com
The Premier GPS Resource for News, Reviews and Forums
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 2:43:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:
> This is an interesting question that I feel is ripe for a solution.
>
> While I don't think that the ppc running a gps is the best way to
> address the need, but consider the following which combines a gps, ppc
> and ppc.
>
> Use any stand alone GPS that maintains an an exportable track. Leave in
> vehicle tracking at all times.
>
> Use the ppc voice recorder to note job names as trips start
>
> Export the track and sound wav files to the pc
>
> Wav files contain date/times that get associated with the trip start,
> software associates that time with waypoint and either determines stop
> point (i.e. no motion for 15 minutes) or asks the user to pick stop
> point, and calculates the trip distance.
>
> user adds the job name
>
> software creates a log of job/date/time/distance
>
> user has the option of re-relating and adjusting the track log with the jobs
>
> Beverly Howard

or use a pencil, asmall booklet and log the odometer reading at the start of
the journey and on arrival then add them up at the end of the week.

sometimes, the old ways are still the easiest.



RT
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 2:43:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>> old = easy <<

yup, yup, yup

Beverly Howard
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 12:15:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

This sounds overly complicated Beverly.
I use a HP4150 connected to a TomTom3 Nav soft and GPS. The GPS software has
a "record" functon and creates a log file. All one would need to know is how
to interogate the log file surely.

Rob M
"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:o SNf%23r%23qEHA.3172@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> This is an interesting question that I feel is ripe for a solution.
>
> While I don't think that the ppc running a gps is the best way to
> address the need, but consider the following which combines a gps, ppc
> and ppc.
>
> Use any stand alone GPS that maintains an an exportable track. Leave in
> vehicle tracking at all times.
>
> Use the ppc voice recorder to note job names as trips start
>
> Export the track and sound wav files to the pc
>
> Wav files contain date/times that get associated with the trip start,
> software associates that time with waypoint and either determines stop
> point (i.e. no motion for 15 minutes) or asks the user to pick stop
> point, and calculates the trip distance.
>
> user adds the job name
>
> software creates a log of job/date/time/distance
>
> user has the option of re-relating and adjusting the track log with the
jobs
>
> Beverly Howard
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 6:48:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

might as well get rid of the pocket pc alltogether then.


"R Taylor" <rtaylor@nonisp.netcom> wrote in message
news:ny_8d.246$A85.137@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
> Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:
>> This is an interesting question that I feel is ripe for a solution.
>>
>> While I don't think that the ppc running a gps is the best way to
>> address the need, but consider the following which combines a gps, ppc
>> and ppc.
>>
>> Use any stand alone GPS that maintains an an exportable track. Leave in
>> vehicle tracking at all times.
>>
>> Use the ppc voice recorder to note job names as trips start
>>
>> Export the track and sound wav files to the pc
>>
>> Wav files contain date/times that get associated with the trip start,
>> software associates that time with waypoint and either determines stop
>> point (i.e. no motion for 15 minutes) or asks the user to pick stop
>> point, and calculates the trip distance.
>>
>> user adds the job name
>>
>> software creates a log of job/date/time/distance
>>
>> user has the option of re-relating and adjusting the track log with the
>> jobs
>>
>> Beverly Howard
>
> or use a pencil, asmall booklet and log the odometer reading at the start
> of
> the journey and on arrival then add them up at the end of the week.
>
> sometimes, the old ways are still the easiest.
>
>
>
> RT
>
>
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 6:54:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I was thinking more like the Mileage Log software that I am allready using
on ppc called Mile to Mile.

You could smiply tell it to start your new business trip, and it would track
the distance as you drive, then simply stop that trip when you are finished.

The rest could be just as automated as Mile to Mile allready is. Locations
are remembered, dates are in, distances are in.

It would seem that GPS tracking could be integrated into something like Mile
to Mile just as it is.

I don't really need it in this case, I was simply looking for a reason to
get GPS on my ppc since I want it.


"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:o SNf%23r%23qEHA.3172@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> This is an interesting question that I feel is ripe for a solution.
>
> While I don't think that the ppc running a gps is the best way to address
> the need, but consider the following which combines a gps, ppc and ppc.
>
> Use any stand alone GPS that maintains an an exportable track. Leave in
> vehicle tracking at all times.
>
> Use the ppc voice recorder to note job names as trips start
>
> Export the track and sound wav files to the pc
>
> Wav files contain date/times that get associated with the trip start,
> software associates that time with waypoint and either determines stop
> point (i.e. no motion for 15 minutes) or asks the user to pick stop point,
> and calculates the trip distance.
>
> user adds the job name
>
> software creates a log of job/date/time/distance
>
> user has the option of re-relating and adjusting the track log with the
> jobs
>
> Beverly Howard
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 6:54:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>> overly complicated <<

yup... on re-read it really is... with a cavaet.

The TomTom "Log" option sounds close to meeting the need.

However, my brain has _always_ had problems recording logs "in the moment"

I'm normally focused on the job and tend to "come back" days later and
attempt to reconstruct start and end times and the same is true with
milage logs.

There is a PC program called GPSUtility that has the ability to extract
track logs from most GPS units and store them as excel spreadsheets...
knowing the approximate time that I left for a job or headed home would
then allow the extraction of the trip milage, something a process
(possibly even a macro) could do, hence the thought.

Ideally it should be possible for the user to do a single "button press"
at any time within a trip that would designate that track segment as a
valid expense... so, if there was then an easy way to associate a
jobname with those in the future, scattered people such as myself would
do much better on logs.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
!