New motherboard problem... Need informations

ikarius

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Hi.

I bought today a ASUS P5VD1-X with an Intel Pentium 4 2.66ghz 1M CPU. After hooking everything up, I plugged the powercable in, and a sudden smell of smoke/burning came up.

I tried to power on the computer, nothing. My questions are:

1. Everything in the computer is brand new. Is the burning smell coming as the motherboard is brand new ?

2. Is the motherboard defective or anything ?

Thank you.

EDIT: No sound and no spark came out of the mother board, it nevber even once turned on. If there is anything I might have done wrong, I would like you to point me possibilities, please. It would be greatly appreciated.

ikarius

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
It is a Aopen Case with a 350watt PSU also brand-new. The green light on the motherboard is ligthning, which makes me believe the problem is with the wiring.

Although, my main concern, is the motherboard is problematic or fried ? Or to may come from the PSU or the wiring ?

HoldenMcGroin

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Computers run on smoke. The proof is that computers usually don't work when they lose their smoke.

Sounds like a defective motherboard or bad wiring problem.

All the power wires are keyed, so that probably isn't the problem. However, you might have left a power cable off, such as is the case with the new mobos with the additional power cable with the 4-pin connector (I forget the name).

There are any number of other problems might have happened when you put the computer together. Were you grounded when you touched the electrical components? Were all parts seated properly? Were all your power button connectors connected properly? Dirty connectors? Pinched wires? Maybe your motherboard is accidently grounded to the mounting screws on the post-did you use the non-conducting washers? Are there any incompatible parts, such as incorrect speed RAM?

Just some ideas. Hope that helps.

TRENDING THREADS