Sign in with
Your question

Trouble installing new 7900 GT. Pleases help.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 16, 2006 3:46:02 AM

I'm trying to install my eVGA 7900 GT CO Superclocked, which is replacing my 6800 GTo. Here's what I did:

First, I uninstalled my nVidia drivers. I did this with add/ remove programs in control panel.

Then I unplug everything.

Next, I replace old card with new one. I make sure it is seated completely.

I plug PCI-e power connector into new card.

I plug everything back in and turn on computer.

Everything seems normal, except the screen is black and the power light on monitor is blinking. It sounds like windows boots up like normal.

This computer is a Dell XPS Gen4. It has P4 3.6 ghz, 1gb DDR2 4200, a 460w psu with 34 amps on the 12v. Operating system is Windows XP Pro.

This is not the first time I have installed a video card, but it is the first time I've had a problem. I had to put my 6800 GTo back in so I could come here and ask for help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
March 16, 2006 12:11:46 PM

I do not know if the folowing will help or hinder,BUT,,when I replaced the video card on my rig,[A7V880,Barton 2800/5900Xt,AGP,XP PRO /S2] I did NOT remove the old drivers,Because the last time the last I did remove prior to installing a new card all hell broke out,so instead I leave the current drivers in install new card,XP of course has a righteous fit,jumps out and ky-yiees around on the floor for a while but eventually it settles down to a 800X600 screen,from 1024x768,and then I install the drivers again,after all it is still the 81.98 forceware for all nvidia cards,mind you, I do make a ghost first,after all paranoia runs deep with windoze.
Also ,??have you tried your card in another rig ??,,,,,,,,,,,you might want to check in other posts to see if any one has had similar probs with your combo of mobo/pwr supply????/vid card.
In any event take your time and be carefull.
Good luck..
EDIT,EDIT,,,If your monitor is blinking it is not,,REPEAT NOT ,,getting a signal from the vid card. Dokk.
March 16, 2006 2:42:11 PM

I had almost the same exact scenario.

I did a full line of tests, and its the card. When I called newegg about it, they said they are pulling those cards off the shelf and gave me a full RMA refund.

It's the superclocked card, it does not work properly. Get your RMA ASAP.

Although I love EVGA's lifetime warranty, I'm going with another brand for my 7900gt
Related resources
March 17, 2006 2:38:32 PM

Just making sure to state the obvious, did you try the other monitor output to make sure you weren't plugged into the wrong one?
March 17, 2006 10:46:17 PM

Yes, I tried both outputs. I spoke with tech support at eVGA, Mwave, and Dell. Dell even walked me through the install to make sure I was doing it right. I was. All three tech supports said it's probably just a bad card.
March 20, 2006 7:09:30 PM

little update here

i got another card, an XFX and had the same problem.
I am not completely lost about what to do, since i dont think my luck is bad enough to get 2 bad cards.

I have an MSI - K8N Neo4-F
March 21, 2006 12:46:53 AM

You don't happen to have a Dell, do you? Just wondering if this is a Dell issue. Dell tech says it shouldn't be, though.
March 21, 2006 7:51:31 PM

Nope, not a dell. Which is why i thought it odd you had the same problems.

But hopefully the new one works, I know the people at newegg has said there were problems with the card that we both had.

my new XFX is working beautifully now
March 22, 2006 12:16:33 AM

Yep, mine was definitely a bad card. I don't see any other explanation. My new card, an eVGA 7900 GTX, arrived today. It installed flawlessly. I did absolutely nothing different. I only had to move my sound card to another slot. Otherwise the big cooler on the GTX would have been just under it. I thought more breathing room was better.

So far, the only games I have tried with the new card are FEAR and COD2. My performance in those two games has literally more than doubled. I'm very happy with this card so far.
!