Sign in with
Your question

fan turns load and scary!

Last response: in CPUs
March 16, 2006 5:36:38 AM

i was playing quake 4 the other day and was so caught up in the game that i didnt notice the sound of my cpu fan was blasting at full speed! When i quit the desktop the sound of the cpu fan was still deafening! what was going on?
i then reset the computer and entered the bios, it said that the cpu fan was spinning at 6000rpm!!! AAAHHHh!! The sound could be heard from my downstairs living room!
i really dont know what to do, im scared that if i continue using the computer the fan will blow or something, i mean, the fan speed is supposed to be around 3000, not 6000, what is going on!??
appreciate any help!

More about : fan turns load scary

March 16, 2006 5:37:41 AM

Is it the stock cooling or an aftermarket?

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
March 16, 2006 5:42:45 AM

Quote:

its stock cooling.
Related resources
March 16, 2006 5:58:47 AM

ok here is more info in the problem,
The fan starts of a little higher (faster/loader) than usual, and then begins rapidly increasing in speed, along with the voltages, until it tops off at around 6000 rpm.
March 16, 2006 6:02:19 AM

Quote:

its stock cooling.

Er, I didnt know that the regular-fan-that-comes-in-box were NOT supposed to run at 6000. I've got an air cooled AMD 3000+ on a Giga K8N51GMF and I've always seen the Fan Speed at around 6027 or something like that(using SpeedFan) Also, the case I am using has only the standard fan at the back and no fan in the front. Living in India , I know that once the summer starts , weather temps will go as high as 40degreesC+ during the day but I'll be at work and only be using the system at night when temps will be at late30s.
I've noticed the fan starts at a low 5000 before levelling off at 60__ I cld post pics in another 8hrs or so , if you like
Mike, is this going to be a problem? I bought my system in Jan this year and all i've got on it is the HDD and a single 512Mb Transcend stick. Absolutely NOTHING else!!!
March 16, 2006 6:20:08 AM

Quote:

its stock cooling.

Er, I didnt know that the regular-fan-that-comes-in-box were NOT supposed to tun at 6000. I've got an air cooled AMD 3000+ on a Giga K8N51GMF and I've always seen the Fan Speed at around 6027 or something like that(using Fan/Temp Monitor) Also, the case I am using has only the standard fan at the back and no fan in the front. Living in India , I know that once the summer starts , weather temps will go as high as 40degreesC+ during the day but I'll be at work and only be using the system at night when temps will be at late30s.
Mike, is this going to be a problem? I bought my system in Jan this year and all i've got on it is the HDD and a single 512Mb Transcend stick. Absolutely NOTHING else!!!

the thing is, i KNOW that my cpu DID NOT used to run at 6000rpm because i used to readit off in the bios, plus, the sound is just killing me, its just so dam loud!! but you see, its not just the sound that frightens me, i could put up with that, its the thought that something might happen to my cpu that scares me, i just bought this computer a couple of months ago, and im not willing to damage it at any cost! i just need to know if mabye the fan got loose or something and now has to work harder to cool down the cpu, i just want to know if my cpu is in danger, and to know how to redeem the situation, and if possible an explanation as to why this happened.
thanks
March 16, 2006 6:49:26 AM

You should disable the auto cpu fan control in the bios then. Then just set to manual to adjust fan rpm with the best cooling and lower noise emmision. You can also get a fan controller that fits over the 5" bay slot. I don't use stock cooling fan for it's pretty hard to control and usually loud or too slow. I just get aftermarket cpu heatsink fan with controller for better control. :D 
March 16, 2006 8:49:45 AM

Quote:
Sounds like your CPU is hitting over 60C under intense load.
What case are you using?

Go into the BIOS and under the EQ section, see what the temperature has been set at before the fan turns at full speed.

actually the temperatures are fine, 38 degrees C.
March 16, 2006 8:51:37 AM

ok thats it! im buying a new cooler,
the only one abailable in this citty is the thermaltake typhoon. im going to buy it today, but before you do, can i get a quick reply on whether on not it is compatible with my hardware configeration please? does it support dual core processors?
March 16, 2006 9:44:26 AM

Quote:
Yes the Thermaltake Big Typhoon would be fine for your setup.

thanks!

and just two more questions,
does it come with a fan controller so i could change the fan speed when i want to?

and

with this cooler, can i overclock the processor to 2.4 and leave it at that 24/7 knowing that it will be safely cooled by the typhoon? can i make it an fx-60 even at 2.6 , and keep it at that?
March 16, 2006 2:39:32 PM

No fan controller, fan speed is 1700RPM. If your BIOS gives you an error turn off fan speed monitoring. Monitor your temps, It should stay cool with that fan.
March 16, 2006 4:02:02 PM

Make sure you have enough room in your case for that thing. I'd never seen it in real life until yesterday. That thing is a WHOPR!!
March 16, 2006 4:08:59 PM

Also, check the limit of weight your proc can handle.

The Big Typhon is a heavy beast; when you need to move the computer more than several feet, there's a chance it can damage the CPU.

Most of the really big HS/F combos state the precautionary move now as they are so heavy.
March 16, 2006 6:40:47 PM

thanks guys, but i just bought it, now ive run into my first problem, how do i take the stock fan off? is it stuck or do i just have to pull really hard?

also, after i do take it off what do i clean the cpu with before adding the thermal paste?

(by the way, you are totally right, the thing is a beast, its HUGE!! But yeah, it does fit it my case, and no, i wont be moving my case around alot)
March 16, 2006 6:47:58 PM

If you assembled the system yourself, refer to the instructions (you did keep them right??). If not, you can download your motherboard manual from the company's site. It should give instructions on how to install the stock HSF. Just go in reverse.

When I replaced my HSF - I used a damp cloth. A j-cloth should do the trick. Remember to use a damp cloth, it shouldn't be soaking wet.
March 16, 2006 6:56:41 PM

Quote:
If you assembled the system yourself, refer to the instructions (you did keep them right??). If not, you can download your motherboard manual from the company's site. It should give instructions on how to install the stock HSF. Just go in reverse.

When I replaced my HSF - I used a damp cloth. A j-cloth should do the trick. Remember to use a damp cloth, it shouldn't be soaking wet.

you mean you used a damp cloth to "pull" the stock cooler out?
my concern is that if i pulled the stock cooler hard to remove it wil it damage the cpu? i have the manual, if i go in reverse the last step is to remove the heatsink by pulling it, and that is what my problem is, it just wont come off!
March 16, 2006 6:57:20 PM

Do you mean the stock heatsink & fan??? The heatsink should be attached to the motherboard with screws, so you'll have to remove the motherboard from the case. Don't forget to ground yourself before messing around the inside.

Do not use a damp cloth. Use 90% rubbing alcohol and q-tips to remove the old thermal material. Make sure to remove ALL of the thermal material from the CPU die.
March 16, 2006 8:34:01 PM

Quote:
you mean you used a damp cloth to "pull" the stock cooler out?

LOL - noo! I used it to clean off the CPU surface.... lol

As for the HSF, it is not attached directly to the CPU surface, a la Pentium II slot 1 types. It is affixed to the mobo, as what Anoobis said.

Again, follow the motherboard manual, or manual that came along with the new HSF.

I say damp cloth as one may not just have rubbing alcohol and Q-tips laying around. Just ensure that there is no residue left behind. Clean is clean.
March 17, 2006 4:41:09 AM

Quote:
Also, check the limit of weight your proc can handle.

The Big Typhon is a heavy beast; when you need to move the computer more than several feet, there's a chance it can damage the CPU.

Most of the really big HS/F combos state the precautionary move now as they are so heavy.

The socket can handle up to ~2kg no problem. The force it'll require to rip the HSF off equals the force to break the mobo in half.

With that amount of weight the rig can even be droped from 1inch without damage. The IHS on the CPU absorbs a lot of this force.

There's nothing to worry about.

wow, what a night!!
and what a scary night at that!

so anyway, here is what happened:

The heatsink just woudlnt come off, so i called my dad, and after half an hour of pulling , the dam thing finally ripped off...with the cpu still stuck on it!!
I couldnt believe the cpu just got pulled out off its socket like that, anyway, now we had to try to pull the cpu off the heatsink! SAME ****** PROBLEM, IT JUST WOULDNT COME OFF!!

my dad then call me to get a knife, and he began slowly peeling away the excess thermal paste around the cpu, i was so dam scary!

after another half an hour, we knew the cpu just wouldnt come off with pulling, so he got a screw driver, wrapped a cloth around it, pivoted the screw driver, and began applying gentle force on it. slowly, slowy, and then suddenly, the cpu came flying off! ****!! i flew 2 feet down right onto my mobo and crashed to a stop!
quickly i checked for any damaged! ****!! One of the pins was bent! THe cpu wouldt fit back in its socket, so i tried to slip it in from the side of the bent pin first....YES, it fits!!

ok, now for the next half an hour i spent fitting on the heatsink, the beast is HUGE!!

anyway, once everything was ready i plugged back all the cables and i was ready to go!

PUSHING THE ON BUTTON....................YES!!!! YES! YES!!

the computer worked, i checked the bios, YES! the fan goes at around 1500rpm and the temp was reduced by about 8 degrees on idle (from 40 to 33).

Finally, a nights hard work paid off!

thanks guys for all the help, and thanks to you, i know have a 4800+ !!!
March 17, 2006 5:52:47 AM

How many heart attacks did you have? :p 
March 17, 2006 6:05:46 AM

Quote:
How many heart attacks did you have? :p 

1 heart attack....that lasted the entire night...hehe
March 17, 2006 6:08:44 AM

Quote:
Spraying/dripping 90% alcohol between the CPU and the heatsink would've done the trick. :wink:

You did remember to clean the old thermal compound off with alcohol then applied a new thin layer of thermal paste didn't you?

actually, i just cleaned it off with some tissue paper and the old paste just wiped off, i then added a little nail polish revover to remove any extra paste left over but that didnt do much to clean the cpu any more than it already was.
i dont see why it is so important to clean off the old thermal compound COMPLETELY with alcohol anyway, i mean, my computer is up and running just fine. (can you tell me why?)
March 17, 2006 6:40:01 AM

I feel like we really dropped the ball on you.
First off, a chip that has been in use for a while, usually forms a bond with the hsf. To break the bond, you wiggle the hsf until it breaks loose. You should never try to take the hsf out without first breaking that bond.
Secondly, if the cpu does come out with the hsf, you will have a lot less problem seperating them, if you put them in a plastic bag, and place them in the freezer for a couple of hours. I have some of the anti-static foam pads that come with oem chips, so I use those to protect the pins.
Then you can usually just slide a putty knife between the chip and hsf to seperate them.
So, if you have to remove your hsf ever again, remember these tips.
Sorry they weren't posted earlier, I went to Seatle for a coffee.
March 17, 2006 9:46:38 AM

Quote:
Nail polish remover will do, it's alcohol based.

i dont see why it is so important to clean off the old thermal compound COMPLETELY with alcohol anyway, i mean, my computer is up and running just fine. (can you tell me why?)

Any residue from the old thermal compound will create uneven surface=no maximum contact

I go as far as making sure the surface of the heatsink is polished mirror shine and the CPU surface bone clean before reappling thermal paste.

i woulent say it was mirror shine when i did it, but it was good enough
March 17, 2006 10:04:27 AM

Quote:
I feel like we really dropped the ball on you.
First off, a chip that has been in use for a while, usually forms a bond with the hsf. To break the bond, you wiggle the hsf until it breaks loose. You should never try to take the hsf out without first breaking that bond.
Secondly, if the cpu does come out with the hsf, you will have a lot less problem seperating them, if you put them in a plastic bag, and place them in the freezer for a couple of hours. I have some of the anti-static foam pads that come with oem chips, so I use those to protect the pins.
Then you can usually just slide a putty knife between the chip and hsf to seperate them.
So, if you have to remove your hsf ever again, remember these tips.
Sorry they weren't posted earlier, I went to Seatle for a coffee.

thanks for the extra info, it will be remembered for next time! :-)
!