Why not just limit people to 448 posts per fortnight ?

Good idea or not ?

• Yes - Good Idea

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • No - Bad Idea

Votes: 46 56.1%
  • Where is the option to add 100 useless one liners ?

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I want candy / <Insert funny one liner worth reading here>

Votes: 9 11.0%

• Total voters

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Why not just limit people to 32 posts per day average ?

EDIT: (Over a 2 week period, or whatever, so they can make 448 posts over 14 days, with 32 per day 'on average')

That is 448 posts per fortnight(Most recent 2 week perid)

If they can really help, and really want to help (not just for post count) they'll use the Private Message and é-mail features to do so.

Surely anyone would rather read 10 well thought out posts from each person (per day maximum) than 1,000 one liner posts of dribble.

All the scrolling and clicking ignore every other post is causing me RSI :p

Going to keep poll going 16 days, until April.

EDIT: Subject line changed, as 10 was just an example, and obviously too harsh.

EDIT2: Perhaps even 32 per thread per day. (or whatever people think might work, without detracting from the usefulness).

EDIT3: The point of this thread is to show the irony, and also to discuss ways that would work, but without annoying heaps of people.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Why not just limit people to 10 posts per day maximum ?

If they can really help, and really want to help (not just for post count) they'll use the Private Message and é-mail features to do so.

Using private messages to share possibly valuable technical information defeats the purpose of a hardware forum. If I can get information from a forum thread that would otherwise not be available if the information was only shared in private messages only means I may start a new thread to rehash what was already discussed.

Do you want to punish the innocent for the sins of the guilty?

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I think they should at least just put a limit on the amount of new threads started with the same ole subject anyway. This forum is rather noisy with all the useless babble and people just trying to get as many posts as possible. I even read one post yesterday that a guy was trying to hit 100 posts just so he could use his really cool avatar. So that means, more babble.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Yes, I agree. You'll always get that on forums. Those problems IMO would be best solved by moderating the forums more, removing unnecessary threads/posts and warning then removing the blatant offenders.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
LOL, i only did 19 Total Posts yesterday. And I only Added at Avatar when i Reached 92. So Yea I was Splurging my 8 Remaining Posts to get this Avatar up. So there's no Point doing the 10 Limit because of my 8 Post Splurge. And there are about atleast 20 people i know here that need to to be able to post more then 10 because they are Vertens and more Experienced THG users that actually give good advice. And if you follow my posts back i gave up to 80% useful posts and about 20%uselessness and splurging onaccount of this cool Avatar. So i think this 10Post Limit will harm THG Fourms more then help anyone out.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
So you admit you are part of the problem. Add up all the people like you and you discover what gives people a bad taste and could possibly lead to having restrictions where none should be necessary.

BTW, your av isn't that cool.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I do agree that perhaps 10 a day is not enough as people have mentioned above, but many people might just wait until midnight (on the server or via their locale ?), then make 10 more posts. I used 10 because it is just a number and needed a starting point.

Maybe 10 posts every 2 hours, with a minimum of 3 - 5 minutes between posts. (People don't argue **** if they need to spend 2 hours on 10 meaningless lines of ****, including their half page full quotes and half page signature images) ----- If you get my gist.

There needs to be an acceptable limit somewhere, maybe 25 a day (over 1 an hour assuming you don't sleep).

And / Or perhaps intead of a hard limit per day, just make it one post per every 5 - 20 minutes (somewhere in that window), to stop people posting like a fully automatic that need never reload.

And / Or limit people to 'bursts' of 3 posts within a 20 minute period, like the server is saying 'enough is enough', come back in 15 minutes and you can make one more post then, and then 1 more every 10 minutes until.... whenever.

A combination of the above (in just the right balances) may even decrease the load on the forum servers, and help distribute it over time. Not that they slowed down any with all the posts recently regarding AMD K8 vs Intel Conroe, mostly from fanboys not having any tissues at home. :cry: Poor fanboys.

If people put more time and quality content into their posts, and perhaps didn't just wait every 2nd post to get a +1 (as 10 posts in a row by same person only counts as 1 post already), then the quality and atmosphere of the forums would improve.

At least, that is my theory.

Discuss :p (some more).

This thread: Because sometimes, clicking the [ignore] button isn't enough.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Using private messages to share possibly valuable technical information defeats the purpose of a hardware forum. If I can get information from a forum thread that would otherwise not be available if the information was only shared in private messages only means I may start a new thread to rehash what was already discussed.

Do you want to punish the innocent for the sins of the guilty?

Once again, totally agree with you there.

Should've explained what I was thinking some more, instead of taking action and posting like some half-cocked fanboy. :lol:

The technical meaty bites we all know and love get to go into the 'new high quality' posts, so everyone (the forum public) can read them, and some (but nowhere near all) information mining between people in need and the people assisting them to fix whatever, etc are via PM or e-mail (past a certain point).

I'd rather see one post asking for CPU, MOBO, RAM, OS, etc than 5 seperate posts, each asking for CPU, then MOBO, then RAM, then OS, then etc/misc. (Not the best example, but surely people here know what I mean by this)

It is more productive if people are 'encouraged' to think before they post, and maybe even use the [Preview] button once in a while. :p

(As I've double posted, to seperate replies, I only get +1 post, not +2.... which, as meantioned above, I support as it discourages people from just raising their post count easily without at least interacting with others).

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I'm not sure what the answer is, but I do know it happens on all forums. I don't disagree that some people lack posting etiquette.

I do agree about the signatures, which is why I don't like sig images on forums and long signature tags. I think a size limit should be enforced on all forums. Nothing I hate more is having to scroll through pages of sig images and text to glean 1 sentence of meaningful dialog from the thread.

I think they should at least just put a limit on the amount of new threads started with the same ole subject anyway. This forum is rather noisy with all the useless babble and people just trying to get as many posts as possible. I even read one post yesterday that a guy was trying to hit 100 posts just so he could use his really cool avatar. So that means, more babble.

I agree with Lithium. I think each member should only be allowed to start one new thread per day. I have a low appreciation for people that read the first paragraph of 5 articles and then start 5 new threads with nothing more than a link to an article and the subject in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS. These types of people NEVER make an intelligent reply, that only like to see if they can start trouble.

There are a few trolls around here that we get hit hard by a 10 post limit, one AMD troll in particular has an average of 62.46 posts per day. Allow me to quantify that: That's nearly 23,000 posts per year of pointless one-liner fanboy comments with no substance. If we were to impliment a 10 post per day limit it would limit a troller to 3,650 pointless one-liners per year.

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I like the idea, but I could go for maybe 20 or 25 a day max. That way you post useful information and not about what your watching on TV or something...

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
True, did say above (but only a short mentioned of it) that perhaps I was overzealous suggesting a limit of only 10 per day.

Over much consideration, this is my 'estimate & proposal' of what may improve the quality of the forums: (Not that it would happen, but perhaps the moderators are considering something along these lines, maybe more 'generous'..... a ceiling is required though IMHO).

Combine all of the below 'rules' to posts from each user:

One burst of 3 every 3 minutes
(1 every 60 seconds at most)

No more than 5 every 10 minutes
(1 every 2 minutes on average over longer periods)

A limit of 48 posts per day (1 every 30 minutes on average over even longer periods... but considering people don't spend 24/7 here it is more like 1 every 10 minutes as who would spend more than 8 hours a day on the forums ?.... at least people will read more and write less, but more well thought out responses)
(Perhaps to start with anyway, maybe going down to 32 higher 'even higher' quality posts per day over time)

No more than 2 new threads per day per user
(Leaning towards one, because people can be patient, but we also need more content, so lean back towards 2 or even 3).

A maximum of 2 - 5 forum user accounts per public Internet IP address (if possible to do at near zero time / effort level :p).

The bold stuff is the summary of the two line combos, they just reinforce the same thing by stating it twice from both angles.

As said above, some people are just trying to get to 25,000 posts within a year, and really.... such things should not happen.

Or their 'status' should change to something like 'Smacktard of THG' until their posts per day count does not exceed 32. :p

Surely even the 'longest time members' would have to acknowledge they don't want such people to be associated with them 'by group'.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Yeah, good question....
Errrrr......Ummmm..... <runs off into the distance>

BTW: It is 1:30 AM here in Australia, and normally I would've noticed that if I was even half awake.

But still,.... is TomsHardware Forums so popular that there would be so many people (even in a corperation 30,000 strong) who are trying to get to the forums and login to write articles ? (Like it isn't popular though, MadModMike must have that many PCs going at once with a botnet for some of his efforts :p)

It should only limit the logins and/or the number of members all making comments / threads / replies at once from a given IP, not the ones who are logged in just to read the forums. You are quite right.

But then again if a forum user is at a workplace and just reading the forums why login in the first place ? (Could be automatic browser thing they've setup though.....)

It could be argued both ways (just like everything that can be argued can), and implementing anything I've just suggested (in this reply) would be costly or moving towards the impossible.

The easier it is to do, the more likely someone will do it.

Limiting users per IP, esp with NAT/PAT, (hits head - duh), would be pointless in this day and age.

:idea: Ahhhhh..... if only we had IPv6 already, and every cubic inch of the surface of the earth up to 30,000 feet in the air had its own IP address. 8O (One day I must figure that out for sure, gets Atlas statistics and Calculator 2^128).

OR I COULD JUST GOOGLE IT :trophy:

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I think that some limit need to be set, but this is my 2 cents worth. As you can see I am new to this forum, but what I have noticed is that a thread that someone is asking a useful question almost never exceeds 2 to 3 pages of posts. So my suggestion is that if a thread gets something like 5 pages of posts, it send a red flag to monitors, so they can check out a thread and just shut it down if too much flaming is going on. I picked 5 pages just because we don’t need to overload the monitor and it allows for some people who are passionate about there position to express themselves and it also allow for a human to decide not just a cold computer that cuts you off at a number even it you are giving good helpful advise that just takes a step by step approach.

I think that TabrisDarkPeace has the idea, but maybe only enforce this not on the whole forum but only to one thread. What I mean by this is that you limit the posts of a person on each individual thread, not on there entire posting ability. So if they reach their limit on one thread it wont stop them from posting on another thread, and with the mostly generous guidelines TabrisDarkPeace suggested it would be hard to flame on multiple threads. Also maybe send a red flag to someone if a person hits their limit on multiple threads, but all this would be time consuming and costly for Toms.

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
I don't think limiting posts is the answer. The worst offenders just should be banned. People that can post on-topic usefull info should be able too.

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I agree because you agreed with me! :wink:

All jokes aside and I do agree with Samir, I've been reading these forums forever and one of the biggest problems I see is this:

Title - Intel wins Championship
Good information posted

Reply - That's good information so on and so forth
Reply - useful and good information so on and so forth
Reply- That's BS, AMD is better and so on and so forth
Reply- hey, I had sex with my girlfriend and blah blah blah

Needless to say, they go off in many different directions. If anything, add a "Gossip" column or thread that's remains unlocked so pointless babble can be created. I mean, if we wanna talk about the latest Soaps on TV, so be it but dammit, put it somewhere useful instead of a useful thread.

I think the general CPU thread was created with all good intentions but, well, anyway, i'm done ranting for now. This is long enough as it is.

Thanks for agreeing with me Tech!

crizazykid2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Meh this post is in the wrong area...

I think The Other would be a more appropriate place for this post.

:trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

Under these ridiculous rules that you suggested, you are already done with half the posts for the day tabris (5 of 10). This would limit exactly what these forumz are for: communication :wink:

this is not the solution!

bagg

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
I agree totally.

I only post when I have something useful to share. Fortunately there are quite a few very knowledgable people on here, so most of the time the information I have to share has already been suggested by someone else.

I guess there are a lot of really bored people who don't have a whole lot to do in life besides post useless B$ that nobody really gives a rat's ass about. The recent Conroe vs. AMD crap that was going on provided a lot of people an opportunity to voice a lot of crap that no one cares about. Only a stupid person would choose the lesser processor just because of a brand. I automatically disregard those fanboy's opinions, because if they're not smart enough to get the most for their money then why would I care what they think anyways.

I'm of the opinion that if you don't have anything constructive to say, then STFU because no one gives a $hit anyways about an opinion unless it's solicited. In the grand scheme of things, who cares about how many posts you have accumulated? I can think of a couple of people who joined recently that have more posts to their name than people who have been providing good information to everyone here for years now. Those people need to seriously get a life and realize that they're not important enough for anyone to care what they babble about.

I read this forum at work daily so that if there is a way for me to help someone out, I can do it. I'm not here to impress anyone or to give my opinions to people that don't ask for them. I wish more people were like this!

Just my 2 cents.