Nvidia Still Betting Big on Cloud Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

underpatch

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I think the biggest problems with could gaming is not the tech. But when you give them money you don't get a product in return. So if the company goes down you loose everything you paid money for.

Maybe if the "next gen" cloud gaming goes a 100% rental system. You pay only when you play. Or maybe get deep discounts when you buy a month block of play time. The moddle will only work if a customer can walk away from the product and any time. Also at no point spent the kind of money that would make one feel that you bought something. Hence you feel like you are owed something.

hannibal

Distinguished
Hmmm... really? So I would rent GPU power from the net. Maybe if I will get optical fibre connection with really good speed (and low cost). Maybe this is more usefull for consoles?

maximus81

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
The issue is alot of people don't have the connection to sustain a playable experience. Internet connections have not matured enough for this kind of bandwidth. I can never see my self use this service. I would rather install the game locally.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Could always do like I did.. Make an ESXI box at home thats an All in One box.. its my storage, my gaming machine, my dev, machine, and everything else I could want. All for under 1,000.(not including hard drives for storage and GPU). It works incredibly well.

viktorbkk

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Here is why Cloud Gaming will never ever gain traction:

It is actually cheaper to render on location than render at a server and stream the data to the consumer. As time goes on, and hardware becomes cheaper and more power efficient, this reality will grow even bolder. Internet providers charge for increased bandwidth usage, because streaming gigabytes of data isn't free. It costs money and power.

The only meaningful application that I can see for cloud gaming is services is things like demos on the fly etc. Streaming endless gigabytes to your PC will never be more efficient than buying a graphics card. And graphics cards will keep going down in price a lot faster than internet infrastructure.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
does this mean they will stop producing top end graphics card or the development in graphics card will be stagnant?

cloud gaming could be applied for mobile device, but for home gaming entertainment,, locally is the better experience (bigger, crispier, faster, hassle free).

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
If there's a market for Cloud gaming in the OnLive sense then there would also always be a market for consoles in the current and suggested future market model. Not speaking to the merits of either but can anyone really imagine an something like OnLive displacing consoles in the living room or blow-out sales on Steam/Origin?

I tried onLive and found it to be a few network speed generations away from being a real replacement to gaming as we know it. Imagine never having to upgrade your hardware to play the latest games? You'd just need a game controller/keyboard/mouse (whatever you use to game) and an internet-ready television with an onLive-like app running. I, personally, wouldn't mind banking my yearly hardware budget if this were really possible.

If they can figure out how to get rid of the lag I experienced when playing multi-player basketball over onLive and allow higher graphics settings (don't see why the can't) over the connection, they'll have something very viable.

The only way I can see a hardware company thinking this is a good thing is if the hardware company itself is looking to provide the services in the future using their hardware to render the imagery passed over the network making this type of gaming possible.

G

Interesting timing. Steam seems to be down right now. At least certain aspects of their support and download facilities are offline...tested from two different VPN locations just to be sure it wasn't on my end. Can't play my steam games. Even it was on my end...I still can't play the games I paid for.

Seems cloud computing... especially cloud gaming, is highly flawed.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]underpatch[/nom]I think the biggest problems with could gaming is not the tech. But when you give them money you don't get a product in return. So if the company goes down you loose everything you paid money for.Maybe if the "next gen" cloud gaming goes a 100% rental system. You pay only when you play. Or maybe get deep discounts when you buy a month block of play time. The moddle will only work if a customer can walk away from the product and any time. Also at no point spent the kind of money that would make one feel that you bought something. Hence you feel like you are owed something.[/citation]

10$ a month, you companies want o make multiplayer the main focus of your game, make damn sure its good enough that i will spend more than 1 month playing it.

-------------

on a side note, i could see cloud rendering a future option, like you pay a certain amount of money, and you get a highly demanding task done off site, and it gets sent back, because say it all you want, most people cant afford a 4cpu board and a fully decked out server with quad gpus, but when we could use it, it could be at our disposal, because some time soonish, it would be faster to transfer 20gb of files and re download them than it would be to render them on site.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
[citation][nom]VV00DY[/nom]Interesting timing. Steam seems to be down right now. At least certain aspects of their support and download facilities are offline...tested from two different VPN locations just to be sure it wasn't on my end. Can't play my steam games. Even it was on my end...I still can't play the games I paid for.Seems cloud computing... especially cloud gaming, is highly flawed.[/citation]

"Steam was unable to to sync your files with the Steam Cloud"

apparently steam cloud saving is down.. but i still can play the game, torchlight2. ingame login is functioning too.

Cloud gaming only makes sense for online only games, like MMOs or anything not an fps or twitch based game-play.

I can't see people playing single player games "in the cloud" for the same reasons why people are annoyed or angry with always-on style "DRM" with single player games. The biggest issues being, you lose the ability to play when you want and where you want, even when you have no internet access and there is less modding support or none at all.

The game publishers seem to be trying to snuff out modding in their games so they can keep milking people with dlc or next years version with only a minimal amount of changes to call it a "new" game.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
Cloud gaming...sounds like Diablo3 taken to the logical conclusion. The "company" controls everything while we rent playing time. Any little hiccup will result in money/time lost.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
With outrageous pricing on "metered" internet from shitty ISP's. I want nothing to do with cloud or gaming in the same sentence. Casual dumb farmville-like games can maybe get away with it but those are not serious/demanding games. I like to host my own servers and play my games as I like, anytime I want on my own hardware with internet or not.

G

You guys are missing the point that the target market is not the US. In Asia (at least in Taiwan) internet is mostly fiber with very high adoption rates since they cost roughly

Cerunnos

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
got cut...
cost roughly <$30 USD a month for 50/10mbs, <$40 for 100/20mbs with no caps or restrictions. Latency to domestic servers are always below 20ms, typically below 10. This is why cloud gaming will be possible in smaller countries, particularly developed Asian countries as well as most European ones. The internet infrastructure in the US isn't behind technologically, though it is limited by actual distance and most of all, corporations.
While of course the optimal gaming experience is locally computed, you have to remember that high end gaming computers don't exist for most families. Many purchase ultrabooks not knowing the difference between them and regular laptops. Many don't even know why desktops are faster. This is the target that Nvidia and Onlive (as well as others) are aiming for, to tap into a market where higher demanding games never reached. People who browse these sites (enthusiasts) will never touch this, they know that and obviously aren't targetting you, you can keep buying their hardware while they expand into other markets.

paulemannsen

Honorable
May 10, 2012
they wont fix the lag in the next 20 years.(or being realistic: never, ask einstein)
and games that dont depend on good latency usually run on every pentium 4.

G

I've had enough of this cloud nonsense. I wish companies (Tom's being one of them) would stop trying to force feed it to us and try to delude us into thinking it is "this wonderful new thing just off the horizon."

It's crap. Many people and companies already know this, but there is a lot of money to be made by pushing cloud onto the average customer, so they'll just keep on trying to push it onto us. Sadly, if they keep this up long enough, they may actually succeed into fooling people.

f-14

Distinguished
cloud is like public transportation, the whole country gets taxed for it it, yet it's something only city dewellers have access to and at well regulated and limited times.

private automobiles as your personal computer, imagine trying to get your pregnant wife, who just went into labor to a hospital using public transportation and it's 4 am.

when you need it most, it's never readily available.
a gun in hand is better than a cop on the phone (911)
when seconds make the difference between life and death, the police are just minutes away
when you just finish that report and it has to be in your boss's hands in 2 minutes for his meeting with a potential multi million dollar client a 1,000 miles away are you going to email it to him or send it to his fax machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.