After suspension, a disaster (RAM i think)...

GeNePeZzuLo

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Amd Athlon 64 2800+ (Overclock 245 Mhz --> 2.20 Ghz) with CM AquaGate
1024 Mb Ram (512 @ 400 Mhz / 2x 256 333 Mhz)
Ati radeon 9600 XT 256 Mb

It doesn't seem to be an "only piece" of pc but it has always worked perfectly..

case5cj.jpg

Yesterday evening decided to try suspension (windows xp pro).
After 2 hrs i came back but when i turned (<--is the past right?) it on, everything seemed to work, but the screen didn't turned on. After 2 hours of work I unpkugged everything and removed the mobo, ram and every pci card. plugged again and it was working with one bank of ram. when i rebuilt everything happened the same... screen off with the light flashing... i understood that if i put the 400 mhz ram, the pc doesn't start, otherwise everything seems ok... the bank doesn't work neither alone.
this is what's happening now, before i always had the 3 banks together and automatically the clock set to 333 mhz with latency 2.5..

p10100017mt.jpg

That's the bank.

Any idea?

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Force your RAM to 333 MHz and the basic timings (suggest 3-3-3, 8, 2 CMD RATE) using just 1 stick, in the BIOS.

Then install all your RAM.

Make sure to use the correct DIMM slots for dual-channel operation.

Some boards refuse to boot, or give problems when using 2 sticks but in the 'wrong' slots and the user tries to force single-channel.

Try setting different suspend modes in the BIOS, eg: Disable Suspend to RAM (STR), etc, and check if the board needs a header connected somewhere for standby power.

Also, flash the BIOS on your board to the most recent, that generally fixes problems just like this. (Just make sure you do it with working RAM - Google "MemTest86+" and test it, you don't want to flash your BIOS if your RAM is faulty).

GeNePeZzuLo

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
This is ... for now.

p10100047qf.jpg

Now it doesn't boot anymore... it says that on eide0 there is no boot record.
If I remove the 256 bank and i live the other (256 too), it works... i don't understand how it happended.

GeNePeZzuLo

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
hey man, that ram sucks. It supports a latency of 3 cycles, but for 2 months i set it to 2.5 like the other banks. the suspension might busted that bank lol :roll:

I think that because if i set 3 cicles, the 2.5 banks doesn't work (excuseme, but shouldn't em work anyway with higher timings???), and if i set to 2.5, it's the opposite..