xp install locked in a loop

Installing XP Professional (OEM Disc with SP1)all seems
to be well, until 13 mins to go during the registering
components phase (about50/60% through this bit) when
system hangs. Have waited patiently on three occasions,
once for nearly an hour. but install justs stalls at this
point. Complete lock out of keyboard. powerdown machine
and power up setup picks up at 39 mins remaining
and "installs windows" then it hangs again at 13 mins.
forcing start from cd rom gives choices. install windows
goes direct to where setup was last. Repair results in a
dos type prompt but no clues as to what to do next and
startup from startup disc doesnt work as we haven't got
to create a start up disc yet! Is this because windows
refers to a logfile when starting or is it because of
something else. is there a way of reinstating 98 and
starting again or is it a case of force a dos command
promt and format the disc and start all over?

Can anybody advise me?

regards

anjen
..

The XP boot disks are designed only to facilitate installing XP on systems
that are unable to boot from the boot disk.

Unless you are prepared to boot with a 9x boot disk, go to fdisk, delete the
non-dos partition, create a new partition, exit, reboot, format and
reinstall 98, the 9x boot disk is useless in this situation.

I take it from your post, this machine previously had 98 and you are now
trying to install XP. If this is an OEM disk that was provided with another
system, it can't be used on this system. We need information about this
disk, was it purchased from a reputable retailer? If purchased online, are
you sure someone didn't sell you an OEM disk that was tied to another setup,
in which case you might just have the type of issue you describe.

If purchased at retail, did you first run the compatibility wizard. If not,
the XP CD in the drive, when the setup screen appears, select Check System
Compatibility, the report it generates may give a clue as to the source of
the issue.

The "R" option you used takes the user to the Recovery Console from which
some repair work can be done. However, for a repair of a user's setup, you
should do a Repair Install. That is not indicated here, it probably
wouldn't work because you didn't get a complete install and it would likely
stop for the same reasons the initial install stopped. You need to
determine what on your system is causing setup to choke and the
compatibility wizard can help in that regard.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"anjen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Installing XP Professional (OEM Disc with SP1)all seems
> to be well, until 13 mins to go during the registering
> components phase (about50/60% through this bit) when
> system hangs. Have waited patiently on three occasions,
> once for nearly an hour. but install justs stalls at this
> point. Complete lock out of keyboard. powerdown machine
> and power up setup picks up at 39 mins remaining
> and "installs windows" then it hangs again at 13 mins.
> forcing start from cd rom gives choices. install windows
> goes direct to where setup was last. Repair results in a
> dos type prompt but no clues as to what to do next and
> startup from startup disc doesnt work as we haven't got
> to create a start up disc yet! Is this because windows
> refers to a logfile when starting or is it because of
> something else. is there a way of reinstating 98 and
> starting again or is it a case of force a dos command
> promt and format the disc and start all over?
>
> Can anybody advise me?
>
> regards
>
> anjen
> .

Usually this is with an external device that is still
attached to the pc during install or hardware that is
incompatable. The follwing MS KB should help determine
what the cause is..

us;828267

Thanks for your help I will give it a go. However in
answer to your question it is not my machine and I have
been drafted in to give what help I can, which was not
much. I understand the disc to have been sourced from a
recognised vendor on ebay and as to whether my friend did
a compatability check I know not. I will try to re
install 98 and start again as advised and try to track
the problem down.

regards

anjen

a 98 desktop, place
>the XP CD in the drive, when the setup screen appears,
select Check System
>Compatibility, the report it generates may give a clue
as to the source of
>the issue.
>
>The "R" option you used takes the user to the Recovery
Console from which
>some repair work can be done. However, for a repair of
a user's setup, you
>should do a Repair Install. That is not indicated here,
it probably
>wouldn't work because you didn't get a complete install
and it would likely
>stop for the same reasons the initial install stopped.
You need to
>determine what on your system is causing setup to choke
and the
>compatibility wizard can help in that regard.
>
>--
>Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>Windows Shell/User
>Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
>"anjen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> Installing XP Professional (OEM Disc with SP1)all seems
>> to be well, until 13 mins to go during the registering
>> components phase (about50/60% through this bit) when
>> system hangs. Have waited patiently on three occasions,
>> once for nearly an hour. but install justs stalls at
this
>> point. Complete lock out of keyboard. powerdown machine
>> and power up setup picks up at 39 mins remaining
>> and "installs windows" then it hangs again at 13 mins.
>> forcing start from cd rom gives choices. install
windows
>> goes direct to where setup was last. Repair results in
>> dos type prompt but no clues as to what to do next and
>> startup from startup disc doesnt work as we haven't got
>> to create a start up disc yet! Is this because windows
>> refers to a logfile when starting or is it because of
>> something else. is there a way of reinstating 98 and
>> starting again or is it a case of force a dos command
>> promt and format the disc and start all over?
>>
>> Can anybody advise me?
>>
>> regards
>>
>> anjen
>> .
>>

>.

You're welcome. If you still have issues, the next step would be to find
out about that OEM CD.

--

wrote in news:511201c49128$b695b380$a501280a@phx.gbl:
> Installing XP Professional (OEM Disc with SP1)all seems
<snip>

See replies to your duplicate multiposted thread in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers.

When posting the same message to multiple related newsgroups, CROSSPOST
please! Multiposting uses up more bandwidth and consumes more disk
space on the news servers for each duplicate but separate copy of your
message. Multiposting also disconnects replies so that readers won't
see what other replies were added to your thread in the other newsgroups
to which you posted. There are lots of articles found by a Google
search on multiposting, crossposting, and Usenet
(http://www.google.com/search?q=%2Bmultipost+%2Busenet), one of which is
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html.

My apologies I am relatively new to this newsgroup
business and will learn from this

regards

anjen

________
********
>Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to
Subject.
________

>.

As to source of disc try

UK ebay item 7100080905

regards

anjen

I can't and wouldn't verify anything purchased on Ebay as I have no way of
knowing the reliability of the sender or what the sender might have done to
verify the product they have sent is legit.