Sign in with
Your question

Master/Slave vs Cable Select

Last response: in Storage
March 16, 2006 2:56:34 PM

I am adding a new, second HD to my system. Background...I intend to keep the old HD for my old install of Win ME (to run old programs incompatible with XP), which I will eventually wipe clean and use for storage. I am going to use the new drive to install a fresh copy of XP, but will need to access the old drive from time to time (so I assume this will be a dual boot setup eventhough the two OSs will be on two different physical drives?)

I can install the new drive in a Master/Slave config, or Cable Select, which is how my DVD-ROM and DVD-RW drives are configured. Is there any disadvantage with going with Cable Select for the hard drives?
March 16, 2006 3:20:58 PM

It is a dual boot config and it shouldn't be a problem. There is no disadvantage of using cable select, in fact it makes it easier.
March 16, 2006 3:22:46 PM

Thanks Pain. I'll set it up that way as soon as I get the chance to open up the case again.
Related resources
March 16, 2006 3:28:38 PM

If the 2 disks are to live completely seperate lives, i.e. you won't be reading and writting to both of them during the same windows session, for data storage or whatever, then you can leave them on the same controller. If, however, you plan to read and write to them from both OS's, then I would put them on seperate controllers and split your optical drives up. The reason is that the disks will be able to read and write faster to/from either other if they are on seprate disk controllers.

Also remember that ME won't be able to read NTFS.
March 16, 2006 3:47:42 PM

Quote:
If the 2 disks are to live completely seperate lives, i.e. you won't be reading and writting to both of them during the same windows session, for data storage or whatever, then you can leave them on the same controller. If, however, you plan to read and write to them from both OS's, then I would put them on seperate controllers and split your optical drives up. The reason is that the disks will be able to read and write faster to/from either other if they are on seprate disk controllers.

Also remember that ME won't be able to read NTFS.

I doubt there will ever be any real need to read the ntfs from ME, but there are products to make it possible.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/NtfsWindows98.htm...
March 16, 2006 4:22:24 PM

have you tried running these "incompatable" programs in teh windows xp compatability mode? Just wondering b/c any of the older games and apps that I have run in one of the modes works fine. That would remove the need to run <cough> ME <cough> :?
March 20, 2006 1:08:30 PM

Thanks John,
I shouldn't need to run NTFS from ME, but I appreciate the link.
March 20, 2006 1:16:10 PM

Thanks Sojrner,
I didn't know about that mode. I'll check it out. I have no real desire to run ME again! BTW, before I nuke that drive, I still haven't figured out how to access it outside of a dual boot (I don't want to wait for the decision on which drive to boot to at every boot). My BIOS shows the old drive, but I can't quite figure out how to boot to it as needed.
March 20, 2006 1:59:07 PM

when you installed xp on the system was that ME drive connected? if it was then the xp install may have screwed the MBR on that drive... if that happened then you can still get to the info on that drive through xp, but booting may need a repair through the repair console on the install disk. Off the top of my head I am not sure if this can be done for ME, and not even sure if XP would hose the MBR on that ME install... just that is what came to mind w/ you not being able to boot to it.

Anyone else here know of this problem?
March 20, 2006 2:57:33 PM

Quote:
when you installed xp on the system was that ME drive connected? if it was then the xp install may have screwed the MBR on that drive... if that happened then you can still get to the info on that drive through xp, but booting may need a repair through the repair console on the install disk. Off the top of my head I am not sure if this can be done for ME, and not even sure if XP would hose the MBR on that ME install... just that is what came to mind w/ you not being able to boot to it.

Anyone else here know of this problem?

Yes, the ME drive was installed on the old drive when I loaded XP on the new drive. Both drives are configured Cable Select, with the XP drive at the end of the cable, the ME drive attached in the middle. It shows both drives in the BIOS, I just haven't figured out how to boot to ther old drive when I need to.
March 20, 2006 4:14:14 PM

right, that is what i am saying. the master boot record (MBR) on the master drive contains which OS's are on the system. if you had ME installed on the MBR of the old install of XP then on reinstall you prb did a full format which wiped the MBR and removed any info about ME. This means that you cannot boot to that OS. You should still be able to access the filesystem on it from XP, but you wont be able to boot to it w/o any MBR info about it.

If you had that ME drive as master at one point then it may have an MBR of its own w/ info to boot. However you would have to then put it on the master position on the cable (the end) and then reboot. You would then not be able to boot to XP...

I hope I am understanding you correctly in how you are all setup...
March 20, 2006 4:20:26 PM

So, right now you have XP loaded on the new disk, but it boots automatically to XP without giving you the option of which OS to boot into?

When you installed XP, I assume you pointed it to load onto the second disk?

Clarify those questions and in the mean time I'll look up info on dual booting. It's been ions since I did it and I forget the specifics. Seems to me that if ME was already loaded, then XP should have created the dual boot files automatically, and then you should get a menu of which OS to boot when you first power the machine on.

BTW...if you get the dual boot working, you can set it to which OS is the default and how long to wait before booting to the default OS. So you could set XP with 1 second wait and you wouldn't really even see that selection menu on boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306559
March 21, 2006 11:38:45 AM

Quote:
right, that is what i am saying. the master boot record (MBR) on the master drive contains which OS's are on the system. if you had ME installed on the MBR of the old install of XP then on reinstall you prb did a full format which wiped the MBR and removed any info about ME. This means that you cannot boot to that OS. You should still be able to access the filesystem on it from XP, but you wont be able to boot to it w/o any MBR info about it.

If you had that ME drive as master at one point then it may have an MBR of its own w/ info to boot. However you would have to then put it on the master position on the cable (the end) and then reboot. You would then not be able to boot to XP...

I hope I am understanding you correctly in how you are all setup...

I think I understand...There should be a MBR on my old HD along with ME (it had previously been the Master HD)? It should still be there since that drive has not been formatted. My new, virgin install of XP went on a new HD, so again no overwriting anything there. You say that to access the old drive I have to swap physical positions on the cable? Cable Select won't help?
March 21, 2006 11:52:24 AM

Quote:
So, right now you have XP loaded on the new disk, but it boots automatically to XP without giving you the option of which OS to boot into? Yes

When you installed XP, I assume you pointed it to load onto the second disk? Yes, the new drive

Clarify those questions and in the mean time I'll look up info on dual booting. It's been ions since I did it and I forget the specifics. Seems to me that if ME was already loaded, then XP should have created the dual boot files automatically, and then you should get a menu of which OS to boot when you first power the machine on. That's what the "Geek" at BestBuy said when I bought the drive and OS

BTW...if you get the dual boot working, you can set it to which OS is the default and how long to wait before booting to the default OS. So you could set XP with 1 second wait and you wouldn't really even see that selection menu on boot. I could live with that. Seems like the info out there for setting up a Dual Boot is taylored for installing Windows ME, then XP, not necessarily when ME was already installed. I don't know if that makes a difference.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306559
March 21, 2006 11:54:22 AM

I don't really think using CS will cause such a problem, but you can certainly switch the drives over to master/slave settings if you like and give it a try. You can also remove the new disk and see if the machine will boot into ME...that will tell you if the ME install is still good, etc.

Check in the bios for boot device order, it may be pointing to boot the new disk first. However, I still don't understand why the new install of XP didn't find the original ME installation and create the dual boot files as required. Something seems fishy to me.
March 21, 2006 11:57:39 AM

Quote:
I could live with that. Seems like the info out there for setting up a Dual Boot is taylored for installing Windows ME, then XP, not necessarily when ME was already installed. I don't know if that makes a difference.

It wouldn't matter if ME was installed fresh or installed 5 years ago. It should still set up the dual boot. You just need to have ME (or 95 or 98 ) installed first and then XP (or 2k or nt) would do the rest.
March 21, 2006 12:20:25 PM

There are 2 way to control a dual boot.
One is throuth the BIOS where you tell which drive to boot first.
The other is through a Program like Boot Magic. There are several of these programs out there.
March 21, 2006 12:45:07 PM

Quote:
There are 2 way to control a dual boot.
One is throuth the BIOS where you tell which drive to boot first.
The other is through a Program like Boot Magic. There are several of these programs out there.

I looked for something like that but not being real familiar with configurations I wasn't exactly sure how to set it up. I don't want to screw things up so could you please tell me the steps to configuring the BIOS to select the order of the drive boot without losing XP in the process?
Thanks
March 21, 2006 12:48:14 PM

The 3rd way is to let XP set it up when you install it, and it should be seemless. That's what is causing the confusion here because something isn't working as expected and there appears to be no reason for any problems like this.

However, after thinking about it more, since CS is being used and the new disk is being identified as the master (on the end of the cable) then the problem could lie with the bios. Either changing the disks around on the cable, switching them to master/slave, or pointing the bios to boot from the ME disk could solve it. Once the bios boots the ME disk then it will find the boot.ini file and show the boot selection menu. At least, that's how it should work.

Noonin1, you won't lose the XP install, or the ME install by changing the bios. In the bios is a section for boot sequence, and you just select which order to boot in. Floppy, CD, disk 1, disk 2, in that order [or CD first if you wish, whatever]. Your XP disk being on the end of the cable is being selected as the master, so even without changing the bios it is probably selected as the first disk. You can either change the disk location on the cable, switch them to master/slave configuration, or you can change the boot order in the bios.
March 21, 2006 1:15:06 PM

Hi Pain,
I tried changing Boot order to Primary (new drive) to 2nd, Slave (old drive) to 1st, hit F10 and got a blinking cursor after restart, so I put things back the way they were. Am I in the right place at all (hit Delete after rebooting)? I can't remember where I saw it (maybe F8) a place where it let me choose which OS to boot (not which HD), but the only choice was XP.
March 21, 2006 1:39:06 PM

Quote:

I think I understand...There should be a MBR on my old HD along with ME (it had previously been the Master HD)? It should still be there since that drive has not been formatted. My new, virgin install of XP went on a new HD, so again no overwriting anything there. You say that to access the old drive I have to swap physical positions on the cable? Cable Select won't help?

What i am saying is that you have 2 diff MBR's here and the system only uses one. To see if the ME install is still good (which after what you have said I am sure it is) you would have to remove the new XP drive and it should boot. sorry i was a bit ambiguous on that. The problem here is that when you put that new drive in and installed XP it created an entirely new MBR that did not take the ME install into account at all.

The trick here is to wipe that new XP disk clean, MBR and all... then put the ME drive as the master... THEN install XP on the new drive (now the slave). This will then have the XP install alter the one and only main MBR (on the master drive) so that it will know that both os's exist. This is the problem with cable select setups. While it works, sometimes in this type of situation it can screw you, when you install them w/o thinking of what needs to be master or slave...

AFAIK that is where your problem is... unless I have made some gross misinterperetation of what has been said thusfar in this thread. good luck man.
March 21, 2006 1:39:34 PM

Disconnect the new disk completely and see if ME will boot.

No, you don't need to hit f8. When it works you should just get a boot selection menu to choose which OS to boot to.

After you remove the second disk, you may have to put the boot sequence back, I'm not sure.
March 21, 2006 2:30:18 PM

Quote:

What i am saying is that you have 2 diff MBR's here and the system only uses one. To see if the ME install is still good (which after what you have said I am sure it is) you would have to remove the new XP drive and it should boot. sorry i was a bit ambiguous on that. The problem here is that when you put that new drive in and installed XP it created an entirely new MBR that did not take the ME install into account at all.

The trick here is to wipe that new XP disk clean, MBR and all... then put the ME drive as the master... THEN install XP on the new drive (now the slave). I assume having them in the Master/Slave position on the cable (with old ME drive connected at the end of the cable as Master and new XP drive connected mid-cable as slave) but jumpers set to Cable Select won't achieve this? When I first tried to install XP this is the way it was configuired and I couldn't install XP at all. I'm really trying not to have to do another clean install of XP since I've just figured out how to set up my settings and I've activated it.This will then have the XP install alter the one and only main MBR (on the master drive) so that it will know that both os's exist. This is the problem with cable select setups. While it works, sometimes in this type of situation it can screw you, when you install them w/o thinking of what needs to be master or slave...Which is what I was trying to avoid when I posted the initial question to start this thread

AFAIK?? that is where your problem is... unless I have made some gross misinterperetation of what has been said thusfar in this thread. good luck man.
March 21, 2006 2:37:10 PM

ok, so you had the ME drive in the master position on the cable then when you installed XP? If you did not and had the new XP drive as master, then what i said above still applies. If you had the ME drive as master durring the whole install then you have something else going on here and I am not sure what it is.

I was not implying that cable select was "bad" just that you tend to forget which one needs to be in what position when you install... not a problem if you are aware of which drive needs to be in the master position... but at that point why not just set the jumpers to master and slave accordingly? Not a big deal either way, but you still have to pay attention to what is the master and slave.

afik=as far as i know.
March 21, 2006 3:03:53 PM

When the drives were set up with ME in the Master (but jumpers set to CS) and XP in Slave, XP wouldn't install properly. Is it possible that if I set the XP drive jumpers to Master (instead of CS) and plugged into the end of the cable, the ME drive jumpers as Slave (instead of CS) and plugged into the middle of the cable that it will dual boot? If so, are there any other changes I need to make in the BIOS, or leave that alone.
My goal is to be able to conveniently access ME on occasion, but without having to:

1. Reformat my new drive again and reinstall XP
2. Take the new drive out of the computer or switch the Master/Slave
settings each time, and switch everything back to get back to XP.

Is this possible? Does the below article in Microsoft Knowledge Base (217210) explaining Multibooting and the article right after it explaining booting to msdos and then into ME apply?

How to Install Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me in a Windows XP, Windows 2000, and MS-DOS, or a Windows NT and MS-DOS Multiple-Boot Configuration
To Install Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me in a Windows XP, Windows 2000, and MS-DOS, or a Windows NT and MS-DOS multiple-boot configuration: 1. When you start your computer, choose MS-DOS from the menu on the boot loader screen.
2. Install Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me in a folder separate from the Windows XP, Windows 2000, or Windows NT %SystemRoot% folder.
After you successfully install Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me and restart your computer, the Windows XP or Windows 2000 boot loader screen appears, and you can choose between MS-DOS and Windows XP, Windows 2000, or Windows NT. If you choose MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me starts.
Back to the top

How to Start MS-DOS from Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me
To start MS-DOS from Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me: 1. On the View menu in My Computer or Windows Explorer, click Options or Folder Options.
2. Click Show All Files on the Options tab, and then click OK.
3. In the list of files, double-click the Msdos.sys file.
4. On the File menu, click Properties.
5. In the Attributes section on the General tab, click to clear both the Read-Only and Hidden check boxes, and then click OK.
6. Open the Msdos.sys file by using a text editor (such as Notepad).
7. Add the following line to the [Options] section of the Msdos.sys file:
BootMulti=1
8. Save the file, and then close the file
March 21, 2006 3:18:36 PM

ok, forgetting about cs for a second, the article you have there is exactly what i am saying. They are implying there that you have a drive set as master and one set as slave. (regardless of cs or not, one is still master and one slave... cs just does that according to where the drive is on the cable)

With ME installed already, that drive MUST be the master as it has the MBR. It doesnt matter if XP is then installed on the slave drive as long as the existing MBR is there so that XP can read and alter it. If the ME drive is on slave, then XP will not look for the MBR there and install a new one, thus ignoring ME. There is no other way around that.

I am not sure what you mean by XP not installing properly with the drives set that way, but that is what they are saying in that article. If you follow their steps you will end up w/ the same situation as what you have, and you would have a master and slave, with one containing ME and one XP... and the master having the MBR with info for both.

durring the install when prompted where to install XP it should show that there was another windows install directory on the master drive, and you would have to select the new drive to install XP.

If you install everything that way you would not have to keep switching the drives physically each time you want the other os, but as they stand now you would have to do that just to access each MBR. Unfortunately where you stand right now I do not see another way around re-installing XP to remove this prb. As far as activating it there will be no issues as it will recognize the same hardware and the online activation will simply run through with no prbs.
March 22, 2006 1:20:35 PM

Kaa Kaa! Any chance that resetting the jumpers on the drives to Master/Slave and leaving it that way will fix this, and/or does that cause any other issues?
March 22, 2006 1:24:54 PM

I don't think you are understanding. If what we suppect is true, then you have to reinstall. End of story.

If you want to try different things, do it. Hopefully you will hit the magic button and it will work. I think you could have reinstalled already in the time it has taken you to try to prevent reinstalling.
March 22, 2006 1:26:31 PM

wont cause any issues, but you would still have to reinstall... regardless of jumper settings, at this point you need the info in the MBR and the only way to get that is w/ a reinstall... unless there is an MBR repair tool out ther... I have used the windows recovery console to do that but that was w/ a system that at one point had a functional MBR for the setup it was, I am not sure that it will create new info in the MBR...
March 22, 2006 1:34:18 PM

Quote:
...I think you could have reinstalled already in the time it has taken you to try to prevent reinstalling.

lol, good point man!
March 22, 2006 1:35:52 PM

I know, I'm trying to avoid the obvious. This computer is at home and I'm limited in the amount of time I can use it, so I just don't want to have to waste a bunch more time (I guess like I've just been doing by not just re-installing).

OK, so if I understand right, I should reconfigure the drive jumpers with ME as Master (and at end of cable) and XP as Slave. Then, reformat and reinstall XP. Then reconfigure drive jumpers Cable Select, with XP in Master position (end of cable) and ME in Slave. After this, I should see a choice of which OS to boot from?

BTW, thanks to everyone for their time in helping me understand all this. I've never taken a computer class, so I'm trying to figure all this out on my own by reading and posting questions.
March 22, 2006 1:52:57 PM

NO, once you install w/ the ME drive as master you need to keep it that way! that is the problem here... the MBR is on the master drive and needs to stay there. That way the system knows what os's are present and can boot accordingly. however you install the os, that is how the drives need to stay, whatever was master at the time of install needs to stay the master... slaves can be added but the master must stay.
March 22, 2006 2:38:17 PM

I was under the impression from Seagate's install instructions that once the new HD and OS were installed (with old drive as Master and new drive as Slave), I could change the jumper settings to either Master/Slave (with new drive as Master) or Cable Select. Is my assumption incorrect? I guess then the cruxt of the problem here is that XP was installed on a drive that was in the Master position within Cable Select, not the way my drive's instructions described.

Are there any disadvantages to having my old Windows ME as the Master drive which I will only use on occasion? When I do erase and reformat my old drive to use as storage, will I have to go through this again?
March 22, 2006 2:44:18 PM

as far as my knowledge goes you could change jumpers, but not position on the cable for the master once the os is installed. (meaning that the master drive will always be the master regardless of jumpers at master or cs)

There are really no issues w/ the ME drive being the master that I know of, as once XP is booted it will not be using that drive at all, it will only be there for the MBR used on startup. Anyone else know of perf issues w/ this setup?
March 27, 2006 1:48:16 PM

I tried reinstalling XP the way suggested, but still no old HD, so I pulled the new drive out and installed the old one in the Master position, as the only drive in the computer, and tried to boot. Instead of getting the ugly old ME flashscreen I got the following message:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from selected boot disk. check boot path and disk hardware

All the settings in the BIOS are the same as they've always been. Is my old disk hosed?
March 27, 2006 2:23:31 PM

sounds like at some point the mbr on that one got screwed. Could have been at any point in your current escapades or it could have happened somtime on your old config. Basically I would install xp on the new drive (you may already have it done) then use it to access the files on that ME drive to get any info you need to keep.

Once you have all that you need off of the old drive you will have to re-install me. NOTE: you might be able to do a repair install of me and have it work, but get the info you want to keep off of it first in case it hoses it all on that drive.

if you re-install me, you will of course have to re-re-install xp (lol) so that it will recognize it.

IMHO, at this point I would try the compatability mode in xp and see if you can get all your legacy apps running in xp... then you may not even need me and you can use that second drive for storage. If you cant get all the apps working THEN i would worry about reinstalling me. Thats just me of course... hope this all helps, bummer that you are having so much trouble.
March 27, 2006 2:41:41 PM

"current escapades " LOL :D  that's what it feels like! At this point all I really need to do is access a couple programs, specifically I'm trying to find the version of camera/photo software that worked well on my old OS as some of the newer versions has "issues" and I don't want to download/install the buggier software.

I reinstalled Office2000 and my clunky old photo editor and they seem to work fine, so I'm guessing I'll just get that program version info and be done with ME.

Now, to the statement:
"Basically I would install xp on the new drive (you may already have it done) then use it to access the files on that ME drive to get any info you need to keep."
Yes, I reformatted and reinstalled XP, but how do I access the files on ME since I can't even get the drive to boot by itself? File and Setting Transfer Wizard?
March 27, 2006 2:46:32 PM

You don't need to boot the disk to be able to read it. Put the old disk in and see if it shows up in the computer.

BTW, I didn't see above, did you ever remove the new disk and see if the old disk would boot to ME, before you installed XP on it I mean?
March 27, 2006 3:45:11 PM

The old disk shows up in Device Manager, as well in Computer management. Strange thing though, the last time I reinstalled XP it said it needed to write some kind of file to the old drive, so it created a small (8MB) partition on it. The old disk shows in blue as Z drive in two sections, the 8 MB section (as NTSF), the other in black as unallocated, with no drive letter. If I click properties it says the drive is functioning properly.

I did remove the new drive (the only place I installed XP), but the computer wouldn't boot to the old drive, just a black screen with the message from my last post.
March 27, 2006 6:56:15 PM

Oh, so you've wiped out the old disk. You can likely just remove the unallocated partition, then the 8M partition and then recreate a new partition. Your data is gone, obviously, so you can scrotch the earth.
March 28, 2006 3:04:44 PM

Kinda looks that way. I tried taking out the new disk again, leaving the old one in the Master position, booted to my old ME Recovery floppy. The only file system it showed was the small NTFS file that XP put there on my second re-installation of XP, no FAT32 (Windows ME) file system whatsoever, just 37GB of empty looking space.
I think what happened was that when I reinstalled the drives in one of my attempts, I mistakenly had the jumpers on the old drive set to either a blank position, or PM2, and that must have screwed up the MBR.
I might as well reformat and get on with life, but is there any free disk recovery programs (most likely a trial version of a pay program) that will at least let me see what's on the drive? I need the version of a couple programs so I can download the right ones to run on my current OS.
March 28, 2006 3:19:06 PM

sounds like the jumper settings being mixed at the end there could be what happened. bummer, but at least you know what is up now.

The only data recovery program I have used is spinrite, and I do not know if there is a free/trial version of it but you can google it and try... I do know that it works, so even if you have to pay a small ammount of $ it is worth it. (if the data is that important that is)

good luck man.
March 28, 2006 11:12:06 PM

ugh.. GL to Noonin1 in getting your PC to behave.

but its stuff like this why I REFUSE to use cable select on anything I set up.
set one as master, set the 2nd one as slave and keep it that way.

if you have 1 drive, set it to master and leave it. when you add a 2nd, set it for slave & leave the working drive alone.
March 29, 2006 3:06:25 AM

ya, and like i said way earlier... it works just as much to keep you thinking about what you are doing as it does for stability... CYA man.
March 29, 2006 1:07:16 PM

Kittle,
It was just a bit of carelessness on my part and it wouldn't have mattered how I should have set the jumpers. I would have mixed up a Master/Slave config too! I was looking at the Seagate diagram while I set the jumpers on my WD drive, so I guess it serves me right since the pins are totally different.

I asked the guy at Seagate if it mattered, CS or M/S and his reply is that some computer manufacturers like it one way, others the other. He said Dells prefer CS, which is how it was originally set up and how they had me set up my DVD-ROM/DVD-RW drive config, so I tend to think he was right.

Either way I learned a lesson on being more careful, especially if I have any hope of building a whole computer some time this year! I did back up all the important stuff before I started the process in case something like this happened, so I'm not in too bad of shape. Just a few incidentials I hadn't thought about.
R
March 29, 2006 1:16:25 PM

Hey sojrner,
Thanks to you and Pain for hanging with me through this saga! XP works fine (knocking on wood). I'm going to check out the recovery program you mentioned and ultimately just go ahead and repartition my old drive for storage/backup. I assume it's OK to delete the little 8 MB NTFS partition that XP wrote to it the last time I installed it on my new drive, (and that my XP drive will just think I'm adding another new drive and know what to do)? I guess it's (the little partition) what was supposed to recognize ME if I hadn't screwed my drive setup.
March 29, 2006 1:57:42 PM

hey, np man... i understand frustration and try to help when i can... as for that 8 meg part. you should be fine... no reason to keep it now... lol good luck on future trials...
March 29, 2006 2:04:33 PM

"as for that 8 meg part. you should be fine... no reason to keep it now". Yeah, got the horse a bit after the cart on that one!

I looked at Spinrite. I'm no tech (duh!), but am I right in thinking it looks more like a drive health program than one to recover an entire drive (or at least see what programs are on it)?
March 29, 2006 2:17:47 PM

well, ya... it is made for diagnosing drive issues and get at files in a faulty drive... the only thing here is that you dont have a faulty drive so it is prb not what you are looking for. i'm not really sure now why i mentioned it. :oops:  but hey, most of the time i cant remember my own name! 8O lol
March 29, 2006 2:46:09 PM

LOL! Same here :lol:  I do appreciate the help though.
R
!